Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you cynical of your phone/laptops's camera? watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I don't really. I'd probably notice because of the activity light on my Mac. Although, if you don't have one of the lights — it could be cause for paranoia?

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes do as well xD.

ReputationRep:
    I pity the guy who has to monitor my internet activity.

ReputationRep:
    If you have nothing to hide then what is the problem?
    Unless a third party manages to hack your webcam n record you

ReputationRep:
    This is by no means unheard of, doesn't need to be a government. I put a bit of blu tack on mine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    You're paranoid. What on earth would the government want with you?
    They'd have to be pretty stupid to answer that one honestly, wouldn't they?

If Snowden told us anything, it was that governments want as much data as they can get their hands on.

ReputationRep:
    Yey, the camera's covered with blue tac on my laptop. I don't know if it's paranoid or not but I guess I am quite paranoid in general. When I'm walking down the street and I see a van I fear that I'm going to be abducted so I usually cross the street to avoid it even if there's no one in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    This is by no means unheard of, doesn't need to be a government. I put a bit of blu tack on mine.
    (Original post by channies)
    Yey, the camera's covered with blue tac on my laptop. I don't know if it's paranoid or not but I guess I am quite paranoid in general. When I'm walking down the street and I see a van I fear that I'm going to be abducted so I usually cross the street to avoid it even if there's no one in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesn't it stick to the keyboard when you shut the lid?

Proper crazy people in this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Jack)
    Doesn't it stick to the keyboard when you shut the lid?

Proper crazy people in this thread
    Yes it does but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    To a certain extent, yes. I watched "Cyberbully" on channel 5 the other day and it did exactly this. Someone hacked a computer and it allowed them to see the user through the webcam and listen to them through the microphone...weird.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, not really.

If anyone were to bother they'd get sick of the sight of me anyway. "On that bloody laptop again?!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
    To a certain extent, yes. I watched "Cyberbully" on channel 5 the other day and it did exactly this. Someone hacked a computer and it allowed them to see the user through the webcam and listen to them through the microphone...weird.
    And hack her phone. Honestly it's virtually rare to ever encounter anyone capable of pulling this off least of all someone who is working alone. The media makes it seems easy to hack in most cases it's not

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.