The Student Room Group

unemployed after 6 months after graduation, feel completly lost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elmosandy
What's a workfare contract?

Sorry i'm only 16 and yeah...

workfare is when the government sends unemployed and sometimes sick/disabled people on a mandatory work placement. Meaning they must attend or they will have all there living money stopped. A lot of charities are involved like the salvation army and BHF. But some private companies have been using the scheme also, like Tesco and Asda. look up 'boycott workfare' for more info :smile:
I don't think the job centre helps with graduate jobs. It's really in place to help unskilled/low skilled people into employment, not to provide advice for educated graduates I'm afraid :frown: You'd be better going to your Uni's career advice.
Not to be ignorant but is it that hard to look for a job that's relevant to your Degree?

Or do you need a PhD for that...

Idk i'm only young and most people ik who left Uni go into jobs like Retail, etc..

I'm just wondering why not apply/try to get a job that is relevant to your career?

I am in a job relevant to my studies now. It is not "hard" although for physics I dare say it is as a lot go into the city rather than work that applies the physics part of the course. So that would have to be a first step. My point was some people find it hard to do that last step of growing up and start a career, whether it's the growing up or being scared. Whatever.

I just wanted op to know I also found it hard and managed it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rustyappletree
workfare is when the government sends unemployed and sometimes sick/disabled people on a mandatory work placement. Meaning they must attend or they will have all there living money stopped. A lot of charities are involved like the salvation army and BHF. But some private companies have been using the scheme also, like Tesco and Asda. look up 'boycott workfare' for more info :smile:

So basically they are still on benefits but doing work exprience ?
Original post by LannaBanana
I don't think the job centre helps with graduate jobs. It's really in place to help unskilled/low skilled people into employment, not to provide advice for educated graduates I'm afraid :frown: You'd be better going to your Uni's career advice.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SarcasticMel
I am in a job relevant to my studies now. It is not "hard" although for physics I dare say it is as a lot go into the city rather than work that applies the physics part of the course. So that would have to be a first step. My point was some people find it hard to do that last step of growing up and start a career, whether it's the growing up or being scared. Whatever.

I just wanted op to know I also found it hard and managed it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What jobs where you doing before this job?

And oh, just that I know alot of people who left uni and they work in Retail or found it hard to get a job at retail,etc I'm sitting there thinking why didn't you search for a job relevant to your Degree?

And what happened? Why didn't you look for a job relevant to your Degree first?

Sorry i'm so young I don't know anything about looking for a job
So basically they are still on benefits but doing work exprience ?

They are adults who should be paid a minimum wage for working at a private company. Most participants would have had work experience already. And we need to think carefully about what it means when someone who is unwell - is told they must attend a placement or they will be made effectively homeless.
They are adults who should be paid a minimum wage for working at a private company. Most participants would have had work experience already. And we need to think carefully about what it means when someone who is unwell - is told they must attend a placement or they will be made effectively homeless.

Oh so basically the private companies who they 'work' don't pay anything for them to work, the taxpayers are paying their 'wages' ( benefits)
And if they miss 'work' the taxpayers are cutting of their benefits..
Oh so basically the private companies who they 'work' don't pay anything for them to work, the taxpayers are paying their 'wages' ( benefits)
And if they miss 'work' the taxpayers are cutting of their benefits..

bingo :smile:
bingo :smile:

So the benefits aren't even wages then tbh..

What happens after the placement?
Lol Special needs and Mental Health are two different things....
why does everybody on TSR have to argue over silly technicalities? employers will still discriminate against you either way, whether they are different things or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
So the benefits aren't even wages then tbh..

What happens after the placement?

After the placement they are sent back to the jobcenter, or to a company ( like A4E or Shawtrust) Were they continue job search, or they are sent on another placement. As sending them on workfare makes the government and private companies money.

Sometimes a private company (like A4E) have made a deal with another private company (like Asda) that if the person completes the placement, then Asda will pay a little bit of thankyou money to a company A4E for getting them a seriously cheap worker. (A4E survive on mostly government tax money, but it gives them some extras) the worker does not get any of the money, they are left on the £50 a week from benefits, when they should have got nearly £200 on a min wage.
not when they are replacing volunteers with workfare contracts. And most places want to check references, this can be awkward if your like op and your quite socially isolated.

He'll still have his personal tutor from uni, and anyone can give a character reference. I think for my first job I just put down a long term friend of the family. It might be an issue if he's applying for a grad job but f he's just going for an entry level job a lot of them don't even bother to check references, especially if it's just for a temporary worker.
Original post by snowman77
why does everybody on TSR have to argue over silly technicalities? employers will still discriminate against you either way, whether they are different things or not.

Didn't deny that, but it is different:smile:
Don't say it's mental health because it's not:smile:

Why you even mentioning that anyway? Some special needs people do get jobs, may be harder but yeah.. the guy is on a downer and you're telling him because of his needs or 'mental health' there's no hope for him

Why do you have to be so ignorant

After the placement they are sent back to the jobcenter, or to a company ( like A4E or Shawtrust) Were they continue job search, or they are sent on another placement. As sending them on workfare makes the government and private companies money.

Sometimes a private company (like A4E) have made a deal with another private company (like Asda) that if the person completes the placement, then Asda will pay a little bit of thankyou money to a company A4E for getting them a seriously cheap worker. (A4E survive on mostly government tax money, but it gives them some extras) the worker does not get any of the money, they are left on the £50 a week from benefits, when they should have got nearly £200 on a min wage.

That's awful :frown:

Doesn't the worker find a actual job in the end?
Original post by sr90
He'll still have his personal tutor from uni, and anyone can give a character reference. I think for my first job I just put down a long term friend of the family. It might be an issue if he's applying for a grad job but f he's just going for an entry level job a lot of them don't even bother to check references, especially if it's just for a temporary worker.

So before you get a grad job or a job relavent to your career you go for a entry level job?
Didn't deny that, but it is different:smile:
Don't say it's mental health because it's not:smile:

Why you even mentioning that anyway? Some special needs people do get jobs, may be harder but yeah.. the guy is on a downer and you're telling him because of his needs or 'mental health' there's no hope for him

Why do you have to be so ignorant
I'm saying that employers will discriminate. That's a fact. If the job was customer facing or having to deal with people, they wouldn't want someone with aspergers.
Original post by snowman77
I'm saying that employers will discriminate. That's a fact. If the job was customer facing or having to deal with people, they wouldn't want someone with aspergers.

That's true doesn't mean OP can't get another job..
So before you get a grad job or a job relavent to your career you go for a entry level job?

If you've got no experience it's probably a good idea, because every interviewer will ask what you've been doing since graduation. Saying that you've been sitting in your pyjamas watching films for 6 months won't go down too well. A lot of places will ask for specific examples e.g a time you resolved a problem, how you respond to feedback, how you provide effective customer service etc. If you've got no work experience it'll be 10 times harder to answer
Original post by sr90
If you've got no experience it's probably a good idea, because every interviewer will ask what you've been doing since graduation. Saying that you've been sitting in your pyjamas watching films for 6 months won't go down too well. A lot of places will ask for specific examples e.g a time you resolved a problem, how you respond to feedback, how you provide effective customer service etc. If you've got no work experience it'll be 10 times harder to answer

How do people even get experience before/during/after there Degree..

Isn't doing like a Sandwich/Year in Industry like experience?
Original post by sr90

They will check references, (i ve worked for charity and they always did) saves them forking out for a crb check, because this could be needed as you would be around customers/vulnerable people, a charity would not want to take the risk. That's the thing tho, you might not have a family friend or contact to your tutor, or they might not bother to write it in any case. i m not saying it is impossible, but it is a lot harder in general, for people who are not confident and don't have a network and contacts to back them up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending