Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps1265A)
    That's why I'm confused. The exercise I'm doing ONLY concerns the 2 methods I mentioned right at the beginning of the post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both of those that you mentioned arevspecific cases of the inverse chain rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Both of those that you mentioned arevspecific cases of the inverse chain rule
    And I cannot use either of them for this Q? Having tried both, my answer would be no

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I cannot use either of them for this Q? Having tried both, my answer would be no

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If in doubt, use the general formulation of inverse chain rule:
    \int f(x)dx = \int f(x)\frac{dx}{du}du

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No ... Since they are specific rules that only apply to specific cases

Are they not presented as specific cases in your textbook? It seems odd that the book is just presenting them without the general context.

ReputationRep:
    Integrate xe^x^2

So I am going to use the rule f'(x)/f(x) ... However it's not a fraction, can I still apply it here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the derivative of e^f(x) is f'(x)e^f(x).
    therefore the derivative of e^x^2 is 2xe^x^2.
    integration is the inverse of differentiation... [ you do some maths] ... Ta da an answer!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As TenOfThem says, you're trying to remember lots of specific rules when you should be looking at the general principle of what's going on.

Try differentiating e^{x^2} and compare with the answer you're trying to get.

Next try differentiating e^{f(x)} for various functions f(x) and see what form the answers come out in.

ReputationRep:
    put it in the form you want, you know you're looking for f'(x)e^f(x) so write that integral out and say to yourself 'what constant do i need to pull out to make my new integral look like my old one' it's not a tricky question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    No ... Since they are specific rules that only apply to specific cases

Are they not presented as specific cases in your textbook? It seems odd that the book is just presenting them without the general context.
    The book has simply stated the 2 rules. And there is an exercise of questions in which you use the rules. That's why I'm confused because one of the rules is supposed to work apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    As TenOfThem says, you're trying to remember lots of specific rules when you should be looking at the general principle of what's going on.

Try differentiating e^{x^2} and compare with the answer you're trying to get.

Next try differentiating e^{f(x)} for various functions f(x) and see what form the answers come out in.
    I know how to get to the answer using different integration techniques. But my concern is whether or not the answer can be brought by inspection, but it seems as it cannot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The book has simply stated the 2 rules. And there is an exercise of questions in which you use the rules. That's why I'm confused because one of the rules is supposed to work apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know how to get to the answer using different integration techniques. But my concern is whether or not the answer can be brought by inspection, but it seems as it cannot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does not use either of those rules

But

It is just by inspection

Those 2 are specific cases of "by inspection"
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can get the answer by 'inspection' BUT 'inspection' isn't some magic method that produces the answer out of nowhere - it's the result of understanding how the derivative of various composite functions looks and it comes with experience and practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    You can get the answer by 'inspection' BUT 'inspection' isn't some magic method that produces the answer out of nowhere - it's the result of understanding how the derivative of various composite functions looks and it comes with experience and practice
    Ah okay thanks! I've come across another Q in that same exercise: y = e^sinx

This is my method:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421778410.828030.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  152.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thanks! I've come across another Q in that same exercise: y = e^sinx

This is my method:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421778410.828030.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  152.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is totally incorrect

When you differentiate or integrate e^f(x) you do not introduce powers

The differential of e^sinx is cosx e^sinx by the chain rule

ReputationRep:
    did you get to the answer of your original question which was- (1/2e^(x^2) +c)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.