Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pupillage sorter - match your qualifications to chambers profiles Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    Looks to be easily explainable: there is a small sample, only two from that set have a call of 2010 or later, and both of them have Russell Group postgraduate awards. If you compare that to, say, KBW in Leeds, again a sample of two, one is a Russell Group graduate, but neither have postgraduate awards. Similar pattern with New Park Court, No6 and Sovereign.

Are you seeing something that I'm missing!?
    Not at all; I entirely understand why they were ranked in the way they were. I'm just highlighting the disconnect between the results on the website and reality.

ReputationRep:
    I took a look at those chambers again, and their ranking - it seems to me that the only way you can be in the "green" for KBW, New Park Court and No6, but have Northampton Chambers in the "yellow" (only just) is to have a Russell first degree (and no postgraduate award). Personally I'd say that getting into the yellow band is within the bounds of possibility, you just need to consider other factors.

I don't really see a disconnect, other than you seem to think it would be easier to get a pupillage at Northampton than at the others mentioned, despite the fact that we both seem to agree that Northampton seems to have a preference for higher qualifications than the others.

All this ranking is doing is saying that "this set of barristers, as these chambers, have similar qualifications to you", "these have higher", "these have lower" - it's not pretending to match you to your perfect set, you're going to have to do some legwork to figure out what's behind the ranking. But, isn't it a huge time saver to see these simple stats laid out like this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see a disconnect
    There's no reason why you would, because I'm talking about the perception of individual sets from within the profession, as opposed to from looking at raw numbers on the internet.
    But, isn't it a huge time saver to see these simple stats laid out like this?
    I haven't ever suggested that the idea behind the website isn't a good one, and that the website isn't potentially useful to some degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Jamie)
    There's no reason why you would, because I'm talking about the perception of individual sets from within the profession, as opposed to from looking at raw numbers on the internet.
    Ok, got it. I think the distinction between the two views is this:

Your view is reputation-based: "which sets do I think are 'better' than others", the set ranking tool is asking a different question, and that question is: "what are the qualifications of juniors in these sets". So, in support of your view you might find a similar ranking to your perception at the Chambers & Partners or Chambers Student web sites.

So, apart from the question being asked being entirely different, what would also be different is that you may be considering the set as a whole, QCs and long-standing juniors, but the ranking tool is only considering the juniors from 2010 onwards.

So, I can see why there is a disconnect between your perceived reality, and the alternate reality this site is offering - there are two completely different questions about two different sets of data.

ReputationRep:
    They seem to have updated it, lots more chambers, more data, more options - not sure it's any more usable.

http://www.indx.co.uk/pupilbase/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.