Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does PMS actually exist, or is it a patriarchal myth? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Women: "I feel stressed out and in pain because there's blood coming out of my body."

Men: "Damn this boner!"

Not equivalent.
    This made me laugh out loud XD

I think every man saying they get just as bad hormone changes should take a whole pack of contraceptive pills. My friend did it once when drunk, had a day of sore boobs and weeping uncontrollably. I imagine its about as close as guys get without undergoing full hormone therapy.

Seriously though speak to anyone transgender and they will confirm, men get off lightly on the hormone stakes.

ReputationRep:
    I thought PMS didn't occur when you're actually on your period, but just before it starts. Pre-menstrual syndrome. That's how it happens for me anyway. I once cried over an argument over shortbread and then the next day I came on my period and it explained everything. Once I'm on my period I'm fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    PMS is basically 3 days where you have pretty much zero control over your emotions and seeing things like a baby elephant in a paddling pool make you want to cry. I totally lose my **** when I'm on my period.

So yeah, signs: she cries at videos of baby elephants.
    At least you get to feel/express emotions. :indiff:

I would be capable of crying at baby animals if I didn't have to suppress everything :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think it exists. For some people more than others. I usually get it right before I'm about to start. They're really irregular right now, sometimes going months without having one. Getting irrationally upset for me is a sign I'm about to start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I thought PMS didn't occur when you're actually on your period, but just before it starts. Pre-menstrual syndrome. That's how it happens for me anyway. I once cried over an argument over shortbread and then the next day I came on my period and it explained everything. Once I'm on my period I'm fine.
    This. Sometimes I'm so emotional for no reason, then days later when I'm on.. I'm okay, back to my usual self. It does exist and I'm usually able to control it to an extent and not let my emotions get in the way. Then there are days where I've cried for no reason, been pissed off at people for no reason... the works.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I can do is remove myself from people wherever possible
    I wish more women took that line of thinking. Unless you're incredibly irregular it's fairly easy to predict (or so I'm told) when you're likely to be coming on, so if they're the sort of person who has uncontrollable moodswings, especially if they tend towards anger/violence, then removal from social situations if the best thing for them and everyone around them. It may be an inconvenience, but suffering partial isolation for 3-5 days won't damage your social reputation nearly as much going bat**** at someone simply because you disagree with the colour of their shirt.

I absolutely loathe the mouthbreathers who think that their period is justification enough for them to be a complete and utter **** to anyone who dares to come within 5 miles of them, that poor excuse for logic infuriates me to no end.

NB: the above post wasn't directed at you specifically, it was a broad "you".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can tell girls are on their period because of the smell, which is quite morbid I know ... I don't know if it's bad hygiene, but it's quite noticeable nonetheless. Blood has a very iron smell.
    ... in daily life?

Sure when you have them naked in bed, but if you can smell that just in daily life you are practically Superman

ReputationRep:
    It definitely exists, but I don't think it should be used as an excuse for anything. One of my old school friends used to get moody as anything and treading on eggshells round her got quite tiring.

I'm lucky enough to not be affected by it at all. Or I just have a constant, not fluctuating, level of grumpiness

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a myth. Women are mental all the time and not just on their bloody week.

ReputationRep:
    Hormone cycles exist in both males and females, ergo yes PMS exists.

Males experience almost everything a woman goes through emotion-wise (obviously not bleeding and cramps) due to changes in testosterone levels as well, it's just never widely discussed because apparently we're irrelevant

I used to feel really really low in mood the week before my period, like clockwork. I used to have recurrent thoughts about ending my life (even though I had zero intention of doing so) and it was just really really horrible & grim. Then I'd start feeling better again for seemingly no reason and go back to being quite cheerful and having none of these intrusive thoughts.

I say "used to" because the OCP actually 'fixed' everything. Now I feel like myself, but all weeks of the year. Infinitely better.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yep, same here. I luckily don't get angry or aggressive, but in the days before my period I can be a little bit down, and anxious, and a bit emotional and weepy. I try my very best to not let it affect anyone, though my boyfriend notices it sometimes. He knows by now that it's nothing he's done, it's just that time of the month. I do apologise if I'm gloomy, though. Then, soon as I'm on my period, my mood lifts again and then it's just the physical side to deal with - sometimes it's difficult to sleep due to being hot, and I can feel somewhat tired with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I wish more women took that line of thinking. Unless you're incredibly irregular it's fairly easy to predict (or so I'm told) when you're likely to be coming on, so if they're the sort of person who has uncontrollable moodswings, especially if they tend towards anger/violence, then removal from social situations if the best thing for them and everyone around them. It may be an inconvenience, but suffering partial isolation for 3-5 days won't damage your social reputation nearly as much going bat**** at someone simply because you disagree with the colour of their shirt.

I absolutely loathe the mouthbreathers who think that their period is justification enough for them to be a complete and utter **** to anyone who dares to come within 5 miles of them, that poor excuse for logic infuriates me to no end.

NB: the above post wasn't directed at you specifically, it was a broad "you".
    I literally think it should be acceptable to take the day off work...
    Its usually only unbearable for 1 day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    At least you get to feel/express emotions. :indiff:

I would be capable of crying at baby animals if I didn't have to suppress everything :mad:
    Dude you need to get off this website, you're becoming indoctrinated.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get irrational ON my period. I cry before it happens, have insomnia for at leasttwo days and am forced to take care of the sudden change of bad breath. It's very unfortunate and worth crying over.

ln the contrary im in a better mood once it arrives. Thats why it's PRE-menstrual syndrome - not period-menstrual syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    I literally think it should be acceptable to take the day off work...
    Its usually only unbearable for 1 day.
    Ehhhhhhh grey area. There was a thread about it a while back, I probably posted contrary to your position on it (likely citing the potential for it to be abused by people who are hungover and don't want to go into work, and that any method of making sure that a woman is on her period and not just blagging a day off would be a complete invasion of privacy).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    The pain for me is so unbearable sometimes that I can't walk without being in constant pain. My lower back right down to my feet hurt like mad,and I become very snappy and irritable.

Worse part of it is that I have PMS during the 7 days of my period. It doesn't leave and I don't get a warning. It just happens.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Sadly I get it during my period and not before. It's bad enough I have nearly lose more than the usual blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Ehhhhhhh grey area. There was a thread about it a while back, I probably posted contrary to your position on it (likely citing the potential for it to be abused by people who are hungover and don't want to go into work, and that any method of making sure that a woman is on her period and not just blagging a day off would be a complete invasion of privacy).

I would gladly fling my bloody tampon around if it meant a day off. Seriously one day I'm going to push someone in front of a train on my commute, it makes me angry enough on the best of days...

ReputationRep:
    I don't change my mood at all when I'm on my period; the only sign is the appearance of tampon wrappers in the bin.

The only thing which can affect my mood is if I have menstrual cramps in which case it annoys me, but then I just take some ibuprofen and it's alright again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.