Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This what you get when you allow superstitious texts in schools. One superstition is as valid as any other. Except anything that has no superstition at all, of course.:rolleyes:

I look forward to the day when Mesoamerican teachings are brought in, and the kids can learn how to make human sacrifices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'insegnante)
    As a trainee RE teacher I can KIND of see the logic in this, however it is really really weird
    Kind of? Are you saying that some religions are less acceptable than others? Or that some should not be taught about?

ReputationRep:
    next week the kiddies can watch The Wicker Man and do a project on it. in PE they can practice jumping over a bonfire.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Simes)
    ftfy
    Not sure about editing people's quotes like that Makes it look like they said something they didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Kind of? Are you saying that some religions are less acceptable than others? Or that some should not be taught about?
    No, I am saying Religious Education and what should be taught in it is a controversial subject and large debate

ReputationRep:
    Teaching kids to 'love' the devil? It's just beyond wrong. Poor kids.

ReputationRep:
    No, I am saying Religious Education and what should be taught in it is a controversial subject and large debate
    OK. I want to know why normal everyday superstitions like the consequences of walking under ladders and seeing black cats aren't taught about in schools. If you are going to teach about any superstition you should include them all. I don't see why Christianity and Islam should be privileged over Satanism and Buddhism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    Teaching kids to 'love' the devil? It's just beyond wrong. Poor kids.
    Why? Surely one mythical figure is the same as any other?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Simes)
    <sigh>

ftfy = Fixed That For You which is a device used for comic effect by unfixing what someone wrote to make a point.
    I know what ftfy means - it just wasn't clear from the way you quoted that you'd edited my quote.

ReputationRep:
    You can believe whatever you want to believe about religions, but if I was a Christian parent, I would not tolerate my child being taught about the devil in a positive way. In Christianity, the devil is everything that's wrong with the world. Greed, lies, selfishness, hate, murder, rage etc. are all the devil's work, using people as his slaves.

ReputationRep:
    You can believe whatever you want to believe about religions, but if I was a Christian parent, I would not tolerate my child being taught about the devil in a positive way. In Christianity, the devil is everything that's wrong with the world. Greed, lies, selfishness, hate, murder, rage etc. are all the devil's work, using people as his slaves.
    Spare a thought for the Satanist parent, then, surrounded by Christian images and education. Or aren't you concerned about that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to sit and argue with you about religions or what religions are taught, I do not make the curriculum, I only study and teach it.

However, you should remember RE teaches far more than religions and is not a form of indoctrination

ReputationRep:
    Spare a thought for the Satanist parent, then, surrounded by Christian images and education. Or aren't you concerned about that?
    No, why on earth would I care about that? If the Satanist parent doesn't want their child surrounded by that, they can choose to take whatever action they wish.

ReputationRep:
    No, why on earth would I care about that? If the Satanist parent doesn't want their child surrounded by that, they can choose to take whatever action they wish.
    So you aren't concerned about fairness and equality in RE teaching, just indoctrination? And as long as your child is being indoctrinated with your superstitious beliefs you don't mind?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to sit and argue with you about religions or what religions are taught, I do not make the curriculum, I only study and teach it.
    So teachers aren't expected to think for themselves whether what is going on in schools is right and proper?

ReputationRep:
    OK. I want to know why normal everyday superstitions like the consequences of walking under ladders and seeing black cats aren't taught about in schools. If you are going to teach about any superstition you should include them all. I don't see why Christianity and Islam should be privileged over Satanism and Buddhism.
    As I said I do not make the curriculum, I study it and teach it.

I have taught Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Buddhism.

In theory a school may choose any number of religions to fulfil the 'World Religions' aspect of the curriculum. Many choose Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Buddhism because of the vast amount of teaching resources available.

You need to inform yourself on the curriculum for Religious Education before attempting to make arguments or points on it.

ReputationRep:
    So teachers aren't expected to think for themselves whether what is going on in schools is right and proper?

I'm a student teacher, not a teacher thus I have no input in what the schools I am placed in teach.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Here is my colouring in

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You need to inform yourself on the curriculum for Religious Education before attempting to make arguments or points on it.
    No I don't. I am entitled to express my view without knowing the details of the curriculum. After all, you are teaching it and I bet you don't know all the details.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't. I am entitled to express my view without knowing the details of the curriculum. After all, you are teaching it and I bet you don't know all the details.
    As I have said I AM NOT A FULL TIME TEACHER, I am a STUDENT TEACHER, still in university. So of course I don't know the full curriculum considering I haven't had a chance to study all of it or teach all of it yet

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.