Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, new guy here. I'm thinking of beginning a career in telecommunications by applying to for the bt apprenticeship. However I'm currently studying a part time electronics course in college which I've paid for by myself. Am I still able to apply for the apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    im in N Ireland and i was just wondering about the qualifications section as it doesnt offer up the choice for GCSE's, just IGCSE which doesnt make sense to me. anyone help? or which should i pick?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when BT apprenticeships normally start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo skills)
    does anyone know when BT apprenticeships normally start?
    My interview was at the end of April, started in the middle of September the same year. They start looking at applications around this time of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHussein191)
    I applied back in March 2013 and didn't receive a reply until July which is when they sent me an invite for the hub day. Have to say it was worth the wait, I'm a 2nd year engineering apprentice so if you have any further questions about the BT apprenticeships give me a shout.
    Hi, i have just got my invite to the hub day at birmingham, i have been doing some research to find out what to expect on the day, is there anything else you can tell me about what to expect? also after this stage, what is the next stage, providing i impress them on the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marks02)
    Has anyone had a hubday at ipswich yet this year
    i am attending mine next week, not ipswich though

ReputationRep:
    Any idea of when Northern Ireland or Belfast wouls be having their hub days or recruiting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justiceleague007)
    Hi, i have just got my invite to the hub day at birmingham, i have been doing some research to find out what to expect on the day, is there anything else you can tell me about what to expect? also after this stage, what is the next stage, providing i impress them on the day?
    in mine we met some current apprentices, watched a short film showing who openreach was had a q+a session, did a mental test paper, then went for interviews, got asked the standard interview questions like what are the 4 parts of BT and who are openreach's customers, and to think of a goal that I wanted to achieve, and how i achieved that goal and what challenges I faced along the way.
    after that you go home and wait for the phone call if you've been successful, or the email if your not, normally takes about a month to hear from them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive just had an email to say ive been invited to an assessment day in cardiff next week. It said what we will be doing there for 3 hours but can anyone tell me what to expect and how to prepare for it?

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bajio25)
    Hi, ive just had an email to say ive been invited to an assessment day in cardiff next week. It said what we will be doing there for 3 hours but can anyone tell me what to expect and how to prepare for it?

Thanks for your help

Have a look through the apprenticeship 2014 thread. I posted my experience of hub days there, although they were TSO/Operate (most apprentices are Openreach)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...631901&x=0&y=0

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I know I'm late applying to the BT apprenticeship scheme but the closing date is the 31st of may (from what I saw on the apprenticeship site anyway) and I wanted to ask a few questions regarding grades. On the apprenticeship site it said only 5 GCSE's, grade A-C but on the BT site (where you apply through) it mentions some need A-Levels at grade C or above, this is something I don't have unfortunately so I was wondering if anyone knew which apprenticeships needed GCSE's and which need A-Levels. I don't want to apply for one that needs A-levels when mine will be below par so my application will be chucked out before it even gets going.

Cheers if you know the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo-92)
    Ok so I know I'm late applying to the BT apprenticeship scheme but the closing date is the 31st of may (from what I saw on the apprenticeship site anyway) and I wanted to ask a few questions regarding grades. On the apprenticeship site it said only 5 GCSE's, grade A-C but on the BT site (where you apply through) it mentions some need A-Levels at grade C or above, this is something I don't have unfortunately so I was wondering if anyone knew which apprenticeships needed GCSE's and which need A-Levels. I don't want to apply for one that needs A-levels when mine will be below par so my application will be chucked out before it even gets going.

What are you applying for?
    If I was you I'd look at the individual criteria's for the jobs, if you haven't already. And I'd just apply for it anyway using the grades I had, regardless of whether it was what they were looking for or not. As well as applying for multiple careers in the company, so if I didn't have the grades to get into one section of the company, the other ones I'd applied for might offer you a job with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lvjamestervl)
    What are you applying for?
    If I was you I'd look at the individual criteria's for the jobs, if you haven't already. And I'd just apply for it anyway using the grades I had, regardless of whether it was what they were looking for or not. As well as applying for multiple careers in the company, so if I didn't have the grades to get into one section of the company, the other ones I'd applied for might offer you a job with them.
    Well I haven't applied for any yet but I'm going to apply for a few later (do I need to fill out the form twice (or however many times) or as you have to sign up is it just auto fill?) and see what happens then, I just found it a little odd that without signing up (if that actually shows the needed qualifications) you can't see which need a levels and which need gcse's.

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't applied for any yet but I'm going to apply for a few later (do I need to fill out the form twice (or however many times) or as you have to sign up is it just auto fill?) and see what happens then, I just found it a little odd that without signing up (if that actually shows the needed qualifications) you can't see which need a levels and which need gcse's.
    Not sure as the website has been changed since I applied.
    I work with a lad who only has 1 GCSE, in Art. So with it being an apprentiship they're putting him through all the other qualifications that he needs, same with anyone else who has missing qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Recently applied for this, has anybody heard back in scotland?

ReputationRep:

Advanced Apprenticeship schemes require GCSE's, whereas Higher Apprenticeships where you study for a Foundation Degree require A-Levels. For BT, generally it is for IT roles that require A-Levels with the Engineering roles requiring GSCE's although there can be some crossover as far as I know.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevenJH)
    Advanced Apprenticeship schemes require GCSE's, whereas Higher Apprenticeships where you study for a Foundation Degree require A-Levels. For BT, generally it is for IT roles that require A-Levels with the Engineering roles requiring GSCE's although there can be some crossover as far as I know.

Hope that helps
    Yes it does, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, cheers
    hi guys,
    I am thinking about applying for the full degree/foundation degree program for software, does anyone know about it or can someone give me some more information about it and their experiences.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As anyone had a hub day in ipswich yet

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had a hub day in ipswch on 28 April. I got an email from them end of May to say they were impressed with me but other candidates performed better but they have kept my application on file.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.