Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Overall, by factoring in level of education, employment prospects, accomodation, international prestige and social life, nothing beats the london unis. LSE and UCL hands down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    Overall, by factoring in level of education, employment prospects, accomodation, international prestige and social life, nothing beats the london unis. LSE and UCL hands down.
    How have you decided that?

ReputationRep:
    100 vs 78

ReputationRep:
    Night life in Oxford or Cambridge is dire.

You may be getting a good degree but you are spending four years of your life there. Just think of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Walters)
    Night life in Oxford or Cambridge is dire.

You may be getting a good degree but you are spending four years of your life there. Just think of that.
    How dire? Did you attend either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbitt)
    How dire? Did you attend either?
    How dire is all going to be subjective. But normally on nights out I would go to two or three places. The best places in Oxford are on par with the first tosh clubs you would go out to in a big city.

I live in Oxford. I have a fair few friends whom attend Cambridge so I'm there a fair bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Walters)
    How dire is all going to be subjective. But normally on nights out I would go to two or three places. The best places in Oxford are on par with the first tosh clubs you would go out to in a big city.

I live in Oxford. I have a fair few friends whom attend Cambridge so I'm there a fair bit.
    Not just going for the nightlife tbh, but yeah.

What's it like in Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of "prestige" among non-academics, the difference is quite large. A several hundred years head-start will do that.

Regarding "prestige" among academics and professionals? Whether you choose Oxbridge over the top London universities (UCL, LSE, Imperial and maybe Kings) is largely irrelevant. That's why the term "golden triangle" is used.

Even if one is keen on arguing for a marginal difference in terms of undergraduate degrees, it becomes nonexistent by post-grad level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Harvard, darling.
    Stay on your side of the pond.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not srs

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.