Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Proud to be working class? watch

(Original post by charlotiger)
    Apparently 60% of the British public class themselves as working class (according to the daily mail) even though Britain is now a predominantly white collar society. Personally I feel that there is a stigma of the working class because I have observed that many people do not like to use this term to describe themselves.

What do you guys think? Is it shameful to be working class or is it something to have pride in? Does class even exist??

P.S. My dissertation is based on class in the UK so all opinions are much appreciated.

Daily mail article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ass--1983.html
    Personally my own class definitions are simply based around wage and ownership.

Underclass - Long term unemployed, lives in council house
    Working class - Renters, earn less than £20k individually or £30k as a household
    Middle Class - Property owners, earn more than £20k individually and more than £30k as a household
    Upper Classes - Property owners, privately educated, assets valued in excess of £1m, six figure income

Britain is right now by my definition a middle class country however the last decade did see a fall in property ownership so we are trending in the wrong direction.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.