Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    IT LOOKS SO NICE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Comes with a matching pricetag too! With those sort of prices, if not a problem, you might aswell look at non-student focussed accomodation too, as you might be able to get something really nice.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll pass on Fallowfield. I'm wanting private accommodation such as a flat and I am up for some partying......I'm only 32 not 72 but I do value being in bed by 3am generally...my poor liver has had a battering........ It would be nice to meet people my kind of age I must admit......
    Any suggestions for an area to live?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as Dr Watson, don't mind a wee night out but I want to be able to sleep when I want too. I've seen a few flats in the Victoria Park area, anybody know if that area is decent enough?

ReputationRep:
    Victoria park isn't bad, I'd say it's a step up from fallowfield! If you want social factor then that student castle may be best but with regards to nice areas I'd say castlefield or ancoats for their location that's near the city centre and walking distance to uni and they have lots of nice new developments. If you wanted further out withington is meant to be nice but it would mean a bus journey to uni to avoid walking down curry mile which smells of vomit 24/7 and as a female I found really uncomfortable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Hi there. I'm a mature student starting at Manchester this fall too. Like you, I can't deal with the party lifestyle and sharing with 18 year old. I'm going to be living at Student Castle. It's not too far from the university and it seems like everything is nearby. It's pricy, but it's also furnished and all inclusive of utilities. There are plenty of places for students though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You made a great choice. I lived there a year ago and I loved it. The building is great, modern, clean and safe. There is also a gym, although it is quite small. The rooms are very good too. You get a double bed, excellent air-conditioning system (it kept the room very warm, great for someone like me who is not used to cold weather ), lot of storage space, nice big window with great view (depends) and, depending on the type of room you have chosen, quite spacious. The only downside is that the window does not open, so if you are a smoker it can be a problem. Most of the residents are postgrad students so it is generally quieter than other accommodations.
    The location is very good, really close to Spar, Sainsbury's and Tesco. Also, it is next to the Oxford Road train station and the bus stop for one of the three free buses that takes you around Manchester (we used it to go to the city center all the time), so it is really easy to travel. Plus as a bonus there is a Nandos (:eating:) just around the corner, a cinema, a theater and some bars, etc. nearby.
    The only big downside is that it is quite pricey (thankfully I lived there with my girlfriend and we shared the rent) but for someone who can afford it I think it will be the best choice. Enjoy your stay! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fidias)
    You made a great choice. I lived there a year ago and I loved it. The building is great, modern, clean and safe. There is also a gym, although it is quite small. The rooms are very good too. You get a double bed, excellent air-conditioning system (it kept the room very warm, great for someone like me who is not used to cold weather ), lot of storage space, nice big window with great view (depends) and, depending on the type of room you have chosen, quite spacious. The only downside is that the window does not open, so if you are a smoker it can be a problem. Most of the residents are postgrad students so it is generally quieter than other accommodations.
    The location is very good, really close to Spar, Sainsbury's and Tesco. Also, it is next to the Oxford Road train station and the bus stop for one of the three free buses that takes you around Manchester (we used it to go to the city center all the time), so it is really easy to travel. Plus as a bonus there is a Nandos (:eating:) just around the corner, a cinema, a theater and some bars, etc. nearby.
    The only big downside is that it is quite pricey (thankfully I lived there with my girlfriend and we shared the rent) but for someone who can afford it I think it will be the best choice. Enjoy your stay! :yy:
    Thanks for this. It's good to hear from someone that actually lived there. The location is one of the things that really won me over. It's not a problem that the windows don't open. I'll be on the 31st floor (I think...), so I should have a good view. I knew about the free bus, but where exactly does it go? And it's based at the railway station? I've never had Nandos, but it sounds amazing.

ReputationRep:
    31st floor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Watson)
    31st floor?
    I just checked. It's actually the 30th. Yeah. Haha. It's the third tallest building in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    More like a 30 storey love song then........sorry ......bad joke....

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind. I wanted to be able to enjoy the view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Thanks for this. It's good to hear from someone that actually lived there. The location is one of the things that really won me over. It's not a problem that the windows don't open. I'll be on the 31st floor (I think...), so I should have a good view. I knew about the free bus, but where exactly does it go? And it's based at the railway station? I've never had Nandos, but it sounds amazing.
    If your room has a view to Oxford Rd it will be amazing from the 30th floor, we were on the 10th and we had a very nice view, just pray that they never have problems with the elevators (happened once or twice). Here is a map of the bus route http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning...huttle-Map.pdf. The bus you will take is the green one, number 2. There are a lot of bus stops for this bus around Student Castle. We mostly used it to go to Arndale (mall) but it also passes through MOSI (museum) and Deansgate (lots of restaurants, bars, etc.). And yes you should definitely try Nandos :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Grafton Street with Sanctuary Students. Would recommend for the distance (less than 5 mins walking distance from the library) and it's not too expensive. Something like £109p/w. Pretty good views - can see the mountains in the distance if you're high up. It's mainly international students - 90% I'd say. Walls are very thin and the 'en-suite' is just a pod with smelly drains. Also next to the A&E so you will be constantly woken up by ambulances.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't go to UoM, but I pass it almost every day on the bus, and I would 100% avoid fallow field. It is full of students, rape and mugging crimes are high and it's so busy in term time.

If you want walking distance to the university I would look for accommodation in Hulme (moss side is at least a half hour to an hour walk away and it's not pleasant at night at all (bit of a shady area), - there are loads of private accommodations on the outskirts of Hulme, and even though the area has had a bad rep in the past, I go to college here every day and I have never had a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm turning 26 this year and am starting my Masters at Manchester this september. Nice to meet fellow mature students.
    I would love to go for catered halls but both the PG options are in fallowfield (Ashbourne and Woolton) and I'm not a partying person lol

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a couple of private rents in Hulme, very close to the uni. Anybody got any views on this area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auroracase)
    I've seen a couple of private rents in Hulme, very close to the uni. Anybody got any views on this area?
    I might be studying at Manchester this year, would you tell me how you found those private rents in Hulme? Student accommodation is expensive so i am looking for a private place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.