Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj.latif)
    I'm an international student and will be attending university in London. Are there any areas that I should NOT be looking at in terms of accommodation? Ex. I'm from Toronto and there are some places where housing is cheap and relatively safe to stay but there are also places which are just as cheap and really not the best place to be at night. Any suggestions of where to find reasonable, relatively safe housing?
    Most areas are fine. Just make sure you use the main road as often as you can during the night aswell as daytime to avoid the risk of getting jacked. That's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    I agree with the above, areas go in cycles as to how good or bad they can be. Brixton has come a long way the last few years, as more affluent people move there. Tottenham looks quite rough, but you do see a lot of Europeans and other cultures there, it isn't just loads of black gangs.
    Its true that south Tottenham (Seven Sisters) is getting slightly better but its still one of the worst places in Inner London. Anywhere north of that, I'd probably avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    Its true that south Tottenham (Seven Sisters) is getting slightly better but its still one of the worst places in Inner London. Anywhere north of that, I'd probably avoid.
    I believe a man was randomly stabbed to death in the high street of Notting Hill, just a few minutes walk from the Prime Minister's home residence. There is no 100% safe area in London, but some are much safer areas than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    I believe a man was randomly stabbed to death in the high street of Notting Hill, just a few minutes walk from the Prime Minister's home residence. There is no 100% safe area in London, but some are much safer areas than others.
    Obviously no area is 100% safe but its about probabilities. Notting Hill is much (much) safer than Tottenham.

But more than that, its about the 'feel' of an area, and whether you feel comfortable. If you are moving to a new city, why would you live in a high-crime area? Even if you didnt actually get mugged or assaulted personally, you would still suffer in other ways - being too scared to go to the shops after midnight, having to get taxis home from the train station at night, not wanting to drink in the local pubs, always having to be slightly alert when walking around in the afternoon/evening, etc.

Living in rough areas sucks in all sorts of ways, its not just about whether you personally happen to be a victim of crime, its more about not being able to live a pleasant life in ways you take for granted when living in nicer areas. There are areas in London where you could safely drink in the local pubs until midnight and walk home, or go out at 1am to buy a chocolate bar, without needing to worry about getting mugged. Tottenham is not one of those (nor are several others mentioned in this thread)

ReputationRep:
    Obviously no area is 100% safe but its about probabilities. Notting Hill is much (much) safer than Tottenham.

But more than that, its about the 'feel' of an area, and whether you feel comfortable. If you are moving to a new city, why would you live in a high-crime area? Even if you didnt actually encounter trouble you would still suffer in other ways - being too scared to go to the shops after midnight, having to get taxis home from the train station at night, not wanting to drink in the local pubs (or walk home from them), etc.
    I felt very safe in Ealing at night, yet I hear so many crimes go on there in the news. Though I am a 6ft tall skinhead guy, not a man to mess with .

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of some parts of Acton, most of Ealing is a wealthy middle class suburb with a large White and Indian population (both low crime groups). I would hope you feel safe there, otherwise you should probably avoid ever going east of Liverpool Street or north of Kings Cross...

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student and will be attending university in London. Are there any areas that I should NOT be looking at in terms of accommodation? Ex. I'm from Toronto and there are some places where housing is cheap and relatively safe to stay but there are also places which are just as cheap and really not the best place to be at night. Any suggestions of where to find reasonable, relatively safe housing?
    No area is exactly dangerous in London. You can find thugs and druggies in most areas in London. But areas in the London boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Newham, Hackney, Greenwich, Lewisham, Southwark, Lambeth, Wandsworth and Croydon might be worth Avoiding.

Edit: This might be useful to check up on;

http://maps.met.police.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Greenwich isn't a no-go area. It's a really nice place to live.

ReputationRep:
    Note to self: London and Toronto share a lot of names, geographically. However, they are not the same.

Ex. Regent's Park in Toronto is one place that if you walk around at night, you probably will come home with 1/3 of the possessions you arrived there with. I've heard London is otherwise lol.
    London isn't as bad as people make it out to be habibti,but just be careful at night.

ReputationRep:
    All areas are okay, don't let these people on here scare you. This ain't some gang area, at the end of the day
    you gotta adapt to your area. If you don't adapt you perish, Hounslow,Ealing,Cranford,Hayes, Feltham are all top areas. Everyone saying Hackney & Putney are no go areas. Whats wrong with you? your here to get a degree, not to be a roadman. All Areas are fine, now you choose where you want go

ReputationRep:
    Greenwich is absolutely stunning, a dream place to live if you can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    If you look lost/that you are quite affluent you'll draw attention late at night irregardless of the area. More probability in the Docklands, Tottenham, small pockets of Hackney and Brixton still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of some parts of Acton, most of Ealing is a wealthy middle class suburb with a large White and Indian population (both low crime groups). I would hope you feel safe there, otherwise you should probably avoid ever going east of Liverpool Street or north of Kings Cross...
    I lived there long enough, North Ealing to be exact, what is your point? The area suffers from plenty of crime in and around the shopping areas. The news confirms this.

ReputationRep:
    There should be guaranteed university housing for 1st years. You should take it because they are cheaper than private housing and it is the best way to meet lots of people in a short time. In second year, depending on your budget there are actually some pretty good units near to LSE or UCL, just need some hunting them down.

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham is the only remotely 'rough around the edges' area of the above listed.

London doesn't have any no-go areas. Yes there are some estates which I wouldn't seek to hang around in, such as the Aylesbury, Broadwater Farm, Gospel Oak and Chalkhill, but they're well away from main roads, you'd know when you set foot in there. Even Somers Town (right next to UCL) is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    Greenwich isn't a no-go area. It's a really nice place to live.
    I was talking about the London Borough of Greenwich. Some areas on Greenwich may not feel that safe, like Woolwich for instance. I remember going there for work and didn't like the feel of the area at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    London isn't as bad as people make it out to be habibti,but just be careful at night.
    That's true. There are a lot of nice areas around London such as Tottenham, Hackney, Peckham etc... The only real no-go area in London is probably Kensington I would say :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Brixton is alright, as long as you stay along the high streets.
    Any estate is a bad call to be around past 4PM.

Contrary to belief, there isn't really anywhere in London that is dangerous, unless you make it dangerous for yourself. As long as you just don't look vulnerable, which is easy - you just have to mind your own business.

I grew up around Deptford for about fifteen years, and went to Peckham, Brixton, Thornton Heath, Edmonton - there really are no problems unless you yourself search for these problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    I was talking about the London Borough of Greenwich. Some areas on Greenwich may not feel that safe, like Woolwich for instance. I remember going there for work and didn't like the feel of the area at all.
    Ahh okay.

ReputationRep:
    just keep your belongings with you at all times and be careful when you travel at night.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.