Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we have to, but a lot of people will find it attractive. When I don't do it it's only out of laziness. I think people trying to make leg hair attractive on women are fighting a losing battle, but things change, it might be very popular thing to do in a few years time. A lot of men shave their face daily which would be more of a pain to do I think. At least you can cover legs if you don't shave for a few days.

You might enjoy this buzzfeed article

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarr...egs#.raAvZm63K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 506rl)
    But many females think that men having back hair is gross but for some reason men aren't obligated to shave their back hair? What's the difference?

"You look like ****"

Said no one before the first world war, when leg hair wasn't considered ugly.

It's not "ugly" it's just a "fashion" that for some reason is one of the only fashions where you are looked down upon by 90% of the western population if you don't do.
    Having hair for men is a masculine trait but if females have hair then it takes away from their beauty you don't want to marry someone who looks similar to your own gender.

ReputationRep:
    No I like hairy women. so sexy...

ReputationRep:
    Your choice. Personally I wouldn't complain as I don't shave my body hair either.

ReputationRep:
    gross

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Having hair for men is a masculine trait but if females have hair then it takes away from their beauty you don't want to marry someone who looks similar to your own gender.
    I do understand that the modern logic is that women generally have less hair so it's seem as more feminine, and for some reason we have to exaggerate gender differences.

But hear me out. Even incredible non-feminine acting females, and females who really aren't looking to date anyone at the moment, myself included, have been told and quite often do shave their legs. I was a 13 year old kid. I was not interested in dating or getting married or appealing to the opposite gender. Yet people as young as that, perhaps even younger, are told to shave because "leg hair is disgusting".

I understand that in order to attract people of the opposite/same sex/etc you are gonna want to be attractive.

But why is it people who you have no intention of being in a relationship with (and people who would never have the intention of being in a relationship with you) feel the need to tell girls to shave their legs if they just can't be bothered?

It doesn't happen nearly to the same extent as makeup, I really am just asking why it's such a big deal if a girl doesn't shave her legs?

She doesn't wear makeup? "Okay, she's going for the natural look! Or maybe she just couldn't be bothered today! She might not look as good but it's her decision!"

She has hairy legs? "Ew! That's gross!"

It happens so much and I just am so confused as to why :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I generally only shave my legs for strangers - ie if I'm going to be wearing something that shows my legs, I'll shave them. Since I usually wear jeans, especially in winter, I don't shave all that often.

My partner couldn't care less. I'm sure he thinks they look better shaved, but he has no desire to even suggest I should always have shaved legs.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not showing then leave it be a cheeky secret I personally shave mine more when I'm going out or it's the summer, but that's because of exposure. The rest of the time they are covered with jeans so no one knows the difference. Obviously too much can become unhygienic

ReputationRep:
    It's not really sexism, if a guy decides to shave his legs he is called a "******". In fact I have a friend who shaved his because he plays sports almost professionally and got mocked.

It's not a question of "Why don't they do it if we don't have too". It's because of the difference between the two gender roles which has existed since the very early stages of Aesthetics and Hygiene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 506rl)
    I do understand that the modern logic is that women generally have less hair so it's seem as more feminine, and for some reason we have to exaggerate gender differences.

But hear me out. Even incredible non-feminine acting females, and females who really aren't looking to date anyone at the moment, myself included, have been told and quite often do shave their legs. I was a 13 year old kid. I was not interested in dating or getting married or appealing to the opposite gender. Yet people as young as that, perhaps even younger, are told to shave because "leg hair is disgusting".

I understand that in order to attract people of the opposite/same sex/etc you are gonna want to be attractive.

But why is it people who you have no intention of being in a relationship with (and people who would never have the intention of being in a relationship with you) feel the need to tell girls to shave their legs if they just can't be bothered?

It doesn't happen nearly to the same extent as makeup, I really am just asking why it's such a big deal if a girl doesn't shave her legs?

She doesn't wear makeup? "Okay, she's going for the natural look! Or maybe she just couldn't be bothered today! She might not look as good but it's her decision!"

we never see hairy women on TV, maybe thats why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 506rl)
    I've experienced a lot of hate when I was as young as 13 telling me that not shaving my legs was "gross" from girls and boys alike, even from close friends. In this day and age, I feel like girls in western countries are kind of told they have to shave in order to be found attractive. Honestly I never really understood it so that's why I'm starting this discussion.

I was wondering what people thought on this matter? Do you think girls have an obligation to shave their legs, unlike guys? Why?

If no, is there anything that should be done to change peoples' views on something natural like female leg hair?

Do you think this is a clear example of double standards and/or sexism in modern western society?
    Personally I just think legs look better hairless. It's not an obligation, I just think it looks nicer and I like having smooth legs. But I really really hate how much pressure is put on young girls to start shaving, as you said other kids etc saying leg hair is "gross", 13 is SO young, body hair shouldn't be an issue then. I knew girls who were waxing at at 13/14 which always seemed extreme to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 506rl)
    But many females think that men having back hair is gross but for some reason men aren't obligated to shave their back hair? What's the difference?

"You look like ****"

Said no one before the first world war, when leg hair wasn't considered ugly.

It's not "ugly" it's just a "fashion" that for some reason is one of the only fashions where you are looked down upon by 90% of the western population if you don't do.
    It depends, if most girls do not like men with hairy back then that person would also in some way be "obligated" by the lack of having a girlfriend that he is experiencing.

Alot of girls seem to have a kink for hairy guys though. However it is the same for some guys, some guys like overweight, hairy etc. Obligations is really what others think about you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't shave my legs lunless I wear dresses or its the summer. Yes they don't look as good as if they're smooth but no one is going to see them in jeans. I do think they look better hairless though. Its a bit like makeup, what's the point of wearing at home when no one is going to see it? Only do it when you have to/ want to. You should be comfortable enough in your own body either way, hair or no hair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like smooth legs but personal opinions asside let me just say whatever other argument you want to use you may not use the "it's natural" argument. Well so what? Next thing you'll try telling me is that the world is a dangerous place!

To comment on somethings "rightness" because it appears in nature is ridiculous. I know I'm being ridiculous but isn't it obvious that everything that appears in nature (which is everything that actually exists) is natural - and by their logic must be right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 506rl)

It seems to me that people have different opinions regarding what is attractive and what isnt. I dont think that women should have to shave their legs if they are not interested in a relationship with a man who does care about such a thing; it makes no sense as to why they should. However, as this is a matter of opinion, i do personally find it gross for a women not to shave her leg hair.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand having hair on my legs. Even in winter when no one sees my legs, I get rid of the hairs on them. I just hate it when my legs are hairy. I like them soft and shiny
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I do it as it makes my legs feel nice but right now it's winter and I'm wearing tights or trousers everyday and boyfriend is 5 1/2 hours away so I'm not bothering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    I think partially the reason for that is because I don't shave so often so it doesn't grow back thicker (which I have noticed when I shave).
    Shaving does not change the thickness of the hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comptroller)
    Shaving does not change the thickness of the hair.
    Whether it technically is thicker or not is somewhat irrelevant when it absolutely can appear thicker/darker after shaving.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...l/faq-20058427

There's nothing wrong with leg hair, the same as there's nothing wrong with men finding it unattractive. Ultimately the decision to shave is yours, and people shouldn't be pressured to do it. I started shaving at about 14 ... mainly because my friend did. Now I shave every night/every other night out of habit so I never have hairy legs. It's entirely up to you whether you shave or not.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.