Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmosandy)
    Are yiu doing CIE A-levels or something?...
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ifailedumad)
    Yes.

How do they work again? Can you explain please?

ReputationRep:
    How do they work again? Can you explain please?
    they make you take anywhere from 5-3 papers depending on the subject i think. You cannot resit individual papers, so for maths for as level you can choose pure math 1 + mech1 or stats 1, but if you want to repeat any individual components it wont happen, can only repeat it whole. For a2 to repeat ill have to repeat all 5 papers..

ReputationRep:
    they make you take anywhere from 5-3 papers depending on the subject i think. You cannot resit individual papers, so for maths for as level you can choose pure math 1 + mech1 or stats 1, but if you want to repeat any individual components it wont happen, can only repeat it whole. For a2 to repeat ill have to repeat all 5 papers..

Oh I see

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see
    Yes and content wise it is the nearly same with your uk a levels but no component wise repeats

ReputationRep:
    Yes and content wise it is the nearly same with your uk a levels but no component wise repeats

I see.

Well A-Levels are changing so there's no as or a2 just final exams at the end of two years so yeah

ReputationRep:
    I see.

Well A-Levels are changing so there's no as or a2 just final exams at the end of two years so yeah
    wot? they are chukcing as qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    wot? they are chukcing as qualifications?

Yeah well there will be AS but it's a standalone qualification no a2 do doesn't count towards uni or final A-Level grade.

New A-Levels are studied over two years and you'll take at the end of two years

ReputationRep:
    If you're considering Engineering, have you considered a Foundation Year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    If you're considering Engineering, have you considered a Foundation Year?
    no..Id rather spend an year doing the other syllabus and getting my grades up..:/

ReputationRep:
    would any decent uni be willing to accept me?

ReputationRep:
    What were your a levels then? I did my as in may jun 2014 and a2 in october november. Why are you mad though?
    I'm doing my A2s at the moment and I didn't 'virtually fail' any of my AS exams...

ReputationRep:
    messed up 6thform, went college messed up and after getting on track and doing experience at a top 5 accounting firm i am doing a leavers school programme for a company which i will not state.
    this is with btec business hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    I'm doing my A2s at the moment and I didn't 'virtually fail' any of my AS exams...
    I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension skills, neither did I for my as. I got decent results, and the rest is in the op. Some of the dumbest people I ever knew (my friends) are now in uni, I can handle it. They had a lot of things going for them unlike me, nothing like my circumstances. Things are better now for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomGenius)
    messed up 6thform, went college messed up and after getting on track and doing experience at a top 5 accounting firm i am doing a leavers school programme for a company which i will not state.
    this is with btec business hehe
    dunno what a btec is but thats great.

ReputationRep:
    You'll never know if you don't apply

ReputationRep:
    my results

economics - 93
    maths - 63
    bio - 50

hypothetically, will any uni you know, and that is any uni in the world lol,
    accept me for their programs that have very low requirements? i was hoping to study economics with mathematics. I had got decent as grades ( 78 78 bio math, 92 eco, 67 chem and 65 english) i dropped chem and english. I also found statistics one to be quite difficult and could not master it at all GIVEN THE TIME.

I struggled with quite a few personal issues after my as and as a result my total preparation for a2 was less than half of the time and effort id put in as. Help me out? Im also considering doing another syllabus, since I have no inclination or money to repeat.
    So I'm guessing you have A*BBCC for GCE AS level and A*CD for GCE A level. Am I right? Why not try Queen Mary University of London. They can let you in with those decent grades

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension skills, neither did I for my as. I got decent results, and the rest is in the op. Some of the dumbest people I ever knew (my friends) are now in uni, I can handle it. They had a lot of things going for them unlike me, nothing like my circumstances. Things are better now for me.
    Sorry but if you failed your A levels I don't think you will be good enough for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamaspoon)
    If you have no inclination to repeat, do you have the motivation to do a completely different syllabus?
    You are right..I think it is better if I choose to repeat my a level maths, that I take a level physics and bussiness studies, along with carrying forward my a2 economics marks. I think I could manage it as the next exam session is in may june..Am I crazy for considering this? I want to get my grades up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    So I'm guessing you have A*BBCC for GCE AS level and A*CD for GCE A level. Am I right? Why not try Queen Mary University of London. They can let you in with those decent grades
    If gcses matter then here are mine..

maths- b
    Chem - a*
    bio - b
    physics - b
    eco - a
    english - a
    ict - a
    french -c (3 bs 3as one a* and one c)

their econ program wants straight a's lulz..honestly if a uni would let me in for economics + maths Id gladly go rn. I just dont want to do business or accounts. As you can see I like studying conomics

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.