Turn on thread page Beta

Why are you voting? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What issue is most important to you?
    Economy
    24.56%
    Immigration
    6.14%
    Defence
    1.75%
    EU
    5.26%
    NHS
    7.02%
    Education
    10.53%
    Housing
    1.75%
    Crime
    0.88%
    Inequality
    28.95%
    Enviroment
    7.89%
    Other
    5.26%

ReputationRep:
    Good point, VETwannabe, I completely agree; the more politicians are forced to consider the views of younger voters (instead of just the pensioners who usually vote), the better off we will all be, now and in the long-term, too.
    This brilliant site might help in your efforts to get everyone you know voting (I'm on a similar quest):

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

'Vote for policies, not personalities'. It has a short questionnaire which anonymously displays policies (from nine major topics) from the 'main' six parties and allows you to choose which most important to you. Then it tells you which party's policies are most closely matched with your own views.
    It takes the guesswork out of deciding who deserves your vote, so nobody can use the excuse that they 'don't know enough about politics to participate'. I found it interesting, useful and surprisingly revealing.

ReputationRep:
    Can't vote so theoretically...

Economy, immigration, NHS

But my main priority would be anything that isn't Greens. Absolutely hate their policies (although I can't lie I haven't done extensive research so may be wrong, but from what I've seen..)

ReputationRep:
    I think your top priority has to be Inequality I think people who think otherwise are a bit naive.The issue with Immigration is that it can cause Inequality stopping the poor getting jobs and that people don't like other races(the hate for it is primarily due to racism), there is not much point of a good Economy or Defense(funding Defense projects is ironic when policies that cause Inequality kill off the poor) when there is large Inequality,the EU issue is pretty much the same as the Immigration issue,if there wasn't much Inequality we might not even need the NHS as people would be able to afford it for themselves, not much point in Education if Inequality is still strong because that means that educating yourself wouldn't help much, Inequality is a large cause of Housing issues we would all be able to get good houses if it wasn't for Inequality,a lot of Crime is a result of Inequality but the Environment is a big issue in the long term I suppose but not much point protecting it without preventing poverty.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm voting because I don't think I have the right to complain about things if I don't try to change them (by voting).

I don't think I have a specific issue that's the most important to me.

ReputationRep:
    For important issues, the NHS, the EU, the Economy.

With what the Conservatives have done to the NHS over the course of this government, I would happily vote for a sheep at this point on the basis of damage limitation.

The economy is an issue I feel strongly about but I don't know how much it will influence my actual voting. The conservatives and labour don't have dissimilar economic plans at this point, and UKIP and the Greens want to destroy us all economically, but I was never going to vote for those crazy crazy people anyway. We need a good economy to prop up absolutely everything else - including equality, the NHS, education, welfare blah blah and even immigration will be less troubling when we've all got some more cash.

And I think despite all the negative press, we get a net benefit from the EU, leaving wouldn't really help us in the long run. Re-negotiating our terms would be great, but the idea that we re-negotiate and self-destruct ourselves out of the EU if they don't cave into our demands is vaguely mad. Unfortunately the Conservatives have set up just such a blackmail based scheme, which I think Brussels would be fools to cave into. Labour are now also claiming they want to have a referendum on the EU so yeah I honestly don't know who to vote for.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I think your top priority has to be Inequality I think people who think otherwise are a bit naive.The issue with Immigration is that it can cause Inequality stopping the poor getting jobs and that people don't like other races(the hate for it is primarily due to racism), there is not much point of a good Economy or Defense(funding Defense projects is ironic when policies that cause Inequality kill off the poor) when there is large Inequality,the EU issue is pretty much the same as the Immigration issue,if there wasn't much Inequality we might not even need the NHS as people would be able to afford it for themselves, not much point in Education if Inequality is still strong because that means that educating yourself wouldn't help much, Inequality is a large cause of Housing issues we would all be able to get good houses if it wasn't for Inequality,a lot of Crime is a result of Inequality but the Environment is a big issue in the long term I suppose but not much point protecting it without preventing poverty.
    I beg to differ, I would say it's naive to immediately assume inequality is a serious issue when, in and of itself, it isn't necessarily an issue; consider this:
    Suppose, in 5 years time, that everybody that is of working age is employed (not strictly necessary but whatever) and 99% of them have an annual income of £50k and this is more than enough to comfortably live on, however, the last 1% have an annual income of £100m each. Here, we have extreme inequality, after all, that 1% is earning over 20 times as much as the other 99% combined and as far as assets held it will be even worse, but is it inherently an issue? No, not really, the 99% still have more than enough for their needs and some of their wants. Does it matter that those 99% cannot at all easily join the 1%, I would argue not, others would argue differently.

I would rather live in a society where almost everybody is well enough off, and a few are "stupidly" well off (and a few not at all well off) over one where everybody is equal in how bad their life is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)
    Not sure yet, I would be inclined to vote Conservative as they seem to be doing a decent job with the economy (todays news strengthens that feeling). I think thats the most important factor as pretty much everything else relies on having a strong economy i.e. you can't spend more on the NHS if the country doesn't have any money.

The problem is that it would feel like a bit of a wasted vote, as they have exactly zero chance of winning my constituency, Labour took over 50% of the vote last time.
    Scotland probably can, because there's always an unlimited amount of English money.

Joking aside, I completely agree with your point with regards to the Conservatives.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    All of the above it all really matters to me.

ReputationRep:
    There's no one issue, it's a culmination of many factors - including tactics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andinet)
    Scotland probably can, because there's always an unlimited amount of English money.

Joking aside, I completely agree with your point with regards to the Conservatives.
    You may jest but that is genuinely the SNP line. This despite the fact that they have control over the NHS budget in Scotland...

ReputationRep:
    NHS because it's them who are the ones that are there to care for the health and well being of people in British but it's struggling more and more with population increases and budget cuts. So this is the moat important issue because they are the ones that need the most help so that staff and patients are treated with the respect and care that they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how you can vote Green after seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFn8RIXOBE

How can a party with environmental issues at their core support more immigration?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with issues that contribute to inequality like housing and wage growth but inequality itself is not a voting concern to me. My life will not improve if Bill Gates gets a little poorer.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's probably:

1. Housing & Infrastructure Investment - just in general, where I live relative to the rest of the country seems to be very, very bad. Incredibly compact, overcrowded and expensive.
    2. Tax Cuts - I think taxes in general are just too high, especially when your income doesn't go very far even before tax.
    3. Employment & Economy - I'd like to see a stronger economy and corporates do more to integrate work experience into secondary education as well as generally create jobs.

Inequality isn't an issue to me but the severe lack of upward mobility from a net worth perspective is, and by that, I mean, everything is too expensive relative to wages so it's very hard without large lumps of capital to increase your wealth position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I agree with issues that contribute to inequality like housing and wage growth but inequality itself is not a voting concern to me. My life will not improve if Bill Gates gets a little poorer.
    The money from big businesses could be used to suplement every person's income ,reducing inequality so a reduction in the income of rich people is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    The money from big businesses could be used to suplement every person's income ,reducing inequality so a reduction in the income of rich people is a good thing.
    So you think the money Gates' makes should be spread across everyone, not focused on the exceptionally poor as it is now?

Surely that'll widen inequality...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you think the money Gates' makes should be spread across everyone, not focused on the exceptionally poor as it is now?

Surely that'll widen inequality...?
    Gates money isn't focused on the exceptionally poor?This can be shown by how Gates still has a large fortune lots of money to be spread across the country.

ReputationRep:
    Entertainment.

I just love it. General Election night is my absolute fave. I stay up and watch it even though it's completely idiotic. ("We've had one result in from the ultra safe Labour seat of Northerntown where the sitting MP has been returned with a majority of 9,000 - now if this pattern were repeated throughout the country, we would have a Labour majority in the house of 600")

ReputationRep:
    Gates money isn't focused on the exceptionally poor?This can be shown by how Gates still has a large fortune lots of money to be spread across the country.
    Who does the Gates Foundation help then? I thought it was on the exceptionally poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Who does the Gates Foundation help then? I thought it was on the exceptionally poor.
    Bill Gates donates quite a lot of his money to that foundation like charity but still as an awful lot left to be redistributed.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.