Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scores of Churches Destroyed by Charlie Hebdo Protests in Niger watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Repped.

I know my post wasn't exactly filled with concern for Churches destroyed by the protests....but:

Let me please be frank here, but come on, now...you hardly showed concern for the scores of people dead, and the destruction of their places of worship, in your first post. In that, you chose to establish (or maintain) the link which tars all Muslims with the same brush because of the actions of some extremists. Ultimately, the main concern, and it's not just you, btw, is whether they represent all Muslims. It got to that point quite quickly. I get Muslim-bashing is fairly vogue...for some weird reason...and it's quite tetchy...but stereotypes and sweeping generalizations get no-where.

So it is quite right, to point out that we should not "blame Islam" because that is the general theme of this thread.
    I tarred all Muslims with the same brush and said or implied that all of them kill people and destroy churches? Did I? Care to quote where I said that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achaea)
    I tarred all Muslims with the same brush and said or implied that all of them kill people and destroy churches? Did I? Care to quote where I said that?
    That's slightly different from what I said. Establishing the link which tars all Muslims with the same (extremist brush) because of the actions of a few, is different to outright suggesting that all Muslim which you did not say.

For the record, this is what you said, originally. In bold are my responses.

I'm sure we'll get the usual crowd of apologists all over this story, explaining how the violent disgusting fools who went on this destructive rampage are Not True Muslims,
    From the tone of this post, it does seem either a sarcastic response (ie...'here we go again' etc.) or a pre-emptive strike.

To criticize the suggestion that the 'usual crowd of apologists...would 'explain how the violent disgusting fools who went on this destructive ramage are Not True Muslims', seems a perverse. It seems to imply, to me at least, that either you think Islam's real purpose is violent, which is not something I'll agree with, but I can respect your views, and fears on that one...

Or, it could also imply, that that all Muslims are somehow connected to the actions of the extremists, since the extremists "apparently" further views which could be said to be Islamic-held beliefs. But they are not beliefs which are true of Islam. So it still holds true, that these actions are those of extremists, and that they are "Not True Muslims." Going against the ideals of the Qu'ran, and its values of tolerance, is hardly the course of action a "good Muslim" will do.

Furthermore, the vast majority of protests against the depictions of Muhammed (pbuh), have been peaceful (ie. "Je ne suis pas <Charlie>> parce que, Je suis Muslim et j'adore mon Prophet"
    which holds particular resonance. Protests are always overtaken, and overran by extremists (pertaining to going above and beyond the original intention of the original protest), corrupting it to such an extent that the original protestors, and their reasons for protest, get lost.

and how yes, destroying churches is a bit sad and unnecessary and all, but really it's all the fault of The Evil West and the Zionists somehow (actually it's almost certainly a Zionist plot to make Muslims look bad), and that the real tragedy of the story is that there might be a backlash against Muslims somewhere. Because Muslims are allllllllways the real victims, no matter how much death and destruction some of them cause to others.

Yes, you pointed out the destruction that some Muslims cause to others, but because of the actions of group X, does group Y really deserve to be prejudiced by group Z, because of the bad relationship that group X has to group Z? Swap X for the Muslim extremists, group Y for peaceful Muslims and Z for the West...and basically that's my rationale.
    I'm not trying to come accross as hurtful, or anything like that, btw... And please, if I have got that wrong, please correct me I take this from a religiously-neutral view, and I'm not trying to provide a justification that what these extremists have done, in burning down Churches and killing loads of Christians. I'm just trying to further the point that it is not in keeping with Islam as a religion or the vast majority of Muslims which are peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    That's slightly different from what I said. Establishing the link which tars all Muslims with the same (extremist brush) because of the actions of a few, is different to outright suggesting that all Muslim which you did not say.

For the record, this is what you said, originally. In bold are my responses.

I'm not trying to come accross as hurtful, or anything like that, btw... And please, if I have got that wrong, please correct me I take this from a religiously-neutral view, and I'm not trying to provide a justification that what these extremists have done, in burning down Churches and killing loads of Christians. I'm just trying to further the point that it is not in keeping with Islam as a religion or the vast majority of Muslims which are peaceful.
    If you can't or won't realise that I was talking about the usual apologists on TSR, the people who pop up to shout 'they're Not True Muslims! This is not Islam!' and not Muslims in general (check the religion threads for countless examples) every single time something like this happens, there's no point talking to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't or won't realise that I was talking about the usual apologists on TSR, the people who pop up to shout 'they're Not True Muslims! This is not Islam!' and not Muslims in general (check the religion threads for countless examples) every single time something like this happens, there's no point talking to you.
    Fair enough.
    A couple of questions, if I may, though. If you feel that way abut the 'usual apologists on TSR' and detest the way in which they say "they're not true muslims" etc...why do you think that they always respond to threads such as these? And what constitutes an apologist?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.