Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sex/Relationship Education at school; the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Watch

• PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Hardly learnt anything about sex until I got a book detailing everything.

Had to use the internet for learning about the sex acts.
    Lol internet and more magazine back pages with barbies acting it out :moon: back in the day

ReputationRep:
    For me it started in either year 5 or 6. It began with the basics about anatomy and puberty, and we were taught more stuff as we went up through the year groups. In secondary school it got more detailed and that's when we actually started talking about sex and stuff like that. It was pretty good from what I remember, but I did have to use the internet to find a lot of stuff out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Taught "enough" about it tbh. There was a LOT of emphasis on STIs at my school though all i can recall for most of my lessons was being told about STIs yikes.
    I can't understand why we were never taught about STIs. I sort of remember something about HIV and gay men though.

ReputationRep:
    I walked into sex ed in year 10 and the first thing we see is the school nurse cleaning a bunch of dildos by rubbing a cloth up and down them (looked like she was giving them a handjob)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    We had loads. How the body works, how to get STDs sorted, all methods of contraception, and even a lesson on how to put a condom on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically this and how to spot when a partner is being abusive/signals that a partner could potentially be abusive. Also how to look after babies etc. However I went a to an all girls school which had a bit of a reputation.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hey everyone, I was thinking I really didn't learn much about relationships in school. I don't know if this was because it was a ridiculously catholicy school or if all schools were like this.

The only thing I got was in biology an awful video from inside the human body and a girl fainted. Also my RE teacher told us all that a girl managed to get pregnant without having sex but from foreplay and we should all be careful because we could end up pregnant :facepalm:

What are you entertaining sex ed stories? Or was yours really informative?
    I never actually had a sex ed class. I went to a Catholic School and the priest tried to convince my class that condoms are bad and that we should time when we have sex to avoid unwanted kids. He was describing the symptoms of ovulation to a class of 12 year olds. He explained how our parents may have been using condoms when they conceived us, because condoms are so unreliable, that most kids are made while they're in use. :lol:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Basically this and how to spot when a partner is being abusive/signals that a partner could potentially be abusive. Also how to look after babies etc. However I went a to an all girls school which had a bit of a reputation.
    Oh wow, see that's the type of things I think people should have, that's more emotional rather than simply biology. I mean normally you can work out how to put a condom on but can you work out what to do when in an abusive relationship.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    I never actually had a sex ed class. I went to a Catholic School and the priest tried to convince my class that condoms are bad and that we should time when we have sex to avoid unwanted kids. He was describing the symptoms of ovulation to a class of 12 year olds. He explained how our parents may have been using condoms when they conceived us, because condoms are so unreliable, that most kids are made while they're in use. :lol:
    Ha this is sounding mighty familiar. Glad to know it wasn't just my school, we essentially got the mean girls quote "you will get pregnant and die."
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ha this is sounding mighty familiar. Glad to know it wasn't just my school, we essentially got the mean girls quote "you will get pregnant and die."
    It must be a catholic school thing :innocent:

ahahaha yeah rather than the focus being on "how sex works" it was about "you are going to get pregnant if you even try this."

When I was like 10/11 I wholeheartedly believed that sex was just "rolling around" in bed and kissing a bit, because it was all they showed in TV programmes. :blush:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    It must be a catholic school thing :innocent:

ahahaha yeah rather than the focus being on "how sex works" it was about "you are going to get pregnant if you even try this."

When I was like 10/11 I wholeheartedly believed that sex was just "rolling around" in bed and kissing a bit, because it was all they showed in TV programmes. :blush:
    Ha and in Sims, go under the covers and the girl gets pregnant.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ha and in Sims, go under the covers and the girl gets pregnant.
    If I remember correctly they called that the "woo hoo" function in Sims. But they kept in line with religion and only let the married sims perform the action.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    from what i remember in early secondary school the lessons we had in pshe were about healthy relationships not much about sex. in gcse/ a level years those lessons were basically about what different types of STI's there are and their symptoms. overall what we were taught wasn't that informative. Also someone i remember did ask a question about homosexual relationships which i think was politely ignored :mad:

ReputationRep:
    In Year 6 they literally just showed us a chart with a naked man and woman on there. I didn't even know what a condom was until Year 9...

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, see that's the type of things I think people should have, that's more emotional rather than simply biology. I mean normally you can work out how to put a condom on but can you work out what to do when in an abusive relationship.
    It was really helpful. I learnt about many signs of an abusive partner which I previously didn't think were signs, like isolation and overly jealous etc. It was really helpful learning what to do in such a situation. Tbh I'm surprised people in this thread have not had this sort of information presented to them at school, I guess it helped that the school I went to was not religious at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My class had the 'you're about to go through changes' when we were in Year 5 and 6. Then for some reason it wasn't really taught at all to us during Year 7 & 8. When I moved to a new secondary school from Year 9 - we had the works! The Johnny condom videos were played - condoms on plastic penises and general sex and drug education ensued.

LGBT sexual health would have been nice, but this was only realised nationally after I'd been through PSHE. By then I had sex education from a local young people's centre!

Johnny condom

ReputationRep:
    I remember we had two teenage mums come in to tell us about having kids - they taught us that the three most important things to spend your benefits money on were cigarettes, nappies and formula milk. :moon:

I really wish I was joking.

ReputationRep:
    We had an idiot woman come in and put a giant plastic **** on the table called Rick the **** or Bob the Knob. I zoned out after that.

Dont remember what year it was but a maths teacher taught us (group of buys on a pshce day) about pre-*** and how it can get a girl pregnant when playing around during foreplay.

*boys

ReputationRep:
    Never forgot those horrible std pictures.

And you know what... The pinching the tips of the condom is always quite prominant in my memory haha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.