The Student Room Group

Dating profile for a man

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
I'm Professor X (obviously changed my name), i'm 25, live in Leeds City Center and am 6'4.

I'm currently at university studying Economics, graduating this summer. I enjoy going to the gym and hope to begin playing tennis as my most liked sport although i do like lounging around outside in the sun, especially with a BBQ or cocktail.

I enjoy most types of music and think that Gladiator and Titanic are in a league of their own when it comes to movies. When watching TV i think How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and New Girl are all pretty good. I'm pretty laid back and find most things funny from a good old knock knock joke to random behavior. Friends say that i'm direct, loyal, friendly, funny and random. Also that i make a killer White Russian. More often than not in my free time you'll see me window shopping or sat in a bar/coffee shop reading the paper (FT for the win)..

The type of girl i'm looking for is caring, loyal, adventurous and passionate.

1st Date - Either go for a walk or go somewhere like a shopping center to look round and chat.

2nd Date - Drinks!

Great suggestions so altered.

I'm generally a pretty cheap laugh. I find anything from a politically incorrect joke (probably best not to put that i thought) to your normal dirty joke funny.

Could only think of 4 unrelated ones that were related to personality but for me i'm not really into one type, it's about the feel once i meet a girl (be it somebody a bit dim but lovely or somebody that believes she could beat me on a game and reads Hayek).

Rest i put in.

Well done dude, you've crafted a lively, thoughtful profile there and will most likely be racking and stacking the dates now...all your good work shall pay off!
Great profile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Pesto
Do drinks for the first date, who wants to walk round a shopping centre aimlessly with someone they've only just met?

This. Also, it makes you sound v boring.

Honestly, I'd just get rid of the whole 1st date 2nd date part. There's no need for that. Scrap that whole part.
Reply 23
Brilliant.

I suppose the next logical question is.. What advise do you have for the opening message.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm currently at university studying Economics and hope to graduate with a first class degree and perhaps even a Masters, i aspire to be a very wealthy and powerful man. I enjoy going to the gym and hope to begin playing tennis as my most liked sport though, i do like lounging around outside in the sun, especially with a BBQ or****ail.

I enjoy most types of music aside from Screamo Rock and MC/heavy rap (into DJ Tiesto, Train, Marina and the Diamonds, Mika, James Blunt, Gutye and Fallout Boy at the moment). I think that Gladiator and Titanic are in a league of their own when it comes to movies although i do rate movies like Star Wars Episode 3 (Palpatine is an almighty villain), Troy (Great) and Don't Mess With The Zohan (hilarious). When watching TV i think How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and New Girl are all pretty good.

The type of girl i'm looking for is caring, passionate and a bit wild. Shyness is not a problem in a girl as i am very decisive and enjoy being in control.

1st Date - Either go for a walk or go somewhere like a shopping centre to look round and chat.

2nd Date - Drinks!

First paragraph is an essay that you'd be sending to an admissions team "I aspire to be a wealthy and powerful man" so you're poor and not powerful? Don't write that.

Second paragraph is a true WTF are you writing? It seems like your writing it for the sake of writing it, combine your interests from the first paragraph and include a brief footnote on films and music. Don't go into too much detail, Keep It Short and Simple!

Third paragraph is just insulting.

Why'd you suggest a shopping centre as a first date? Go for coffee, dinner, boat ride etc but a shopping centre where you could end up spending money on them, hell no.
Reply 25
Original post by tehFrance
First paragraph is an essay that you'd be sending to an admissions team "I aspire to be a wealthy and powerful man" so you're poor and not powerful? Don't write that.

Second paragraph is a true WTF are you writing? It seems like your writing it for the sake of writing it, combine your interests from the first paragraph and include a brief footnote on films and music. Don't go into too much detail, Keep It Short and Simple!

Third paragraph is just insulting.

Why'd you suggest a shopping centre as a first date? Go for coffee, dinner, boat ride etc but a shopping centre where you could end up spending money on them, hell no.

Changed to the version below.

Well it's just a place I've found works well. Walking around seems less serious and made awkward silences less often (though i admit when i was dating a lot i was looking for the least serious thing i could get unlike now). Ha, never spent money bar the occasional drink on a first date.

I'm currently at university studying Economics, graduating this summer. I enjoy going to the gym and hope to begin playing tennis as my most liked sport although i do like lounging around outside in the sun, especially with a BBQ or cocktail.

I enjoy most types of music and think that Gladiator and Titanic are in a league of their own when it comes to movies. When watching TV i think How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and New Girl are all pretty good. I'm pretty laid back and find most things funny from a good old knock knock joke to random behavior. Friends say that i'm direct, loyal, friendly, funny and random. Also that i make a killer White Russian. More often than not in my free time you'll see me window shopping or sat in a bar/coffee shop reading the paper (FT for the win)..

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Changed to the version below.

Well it's just a place I've found works well. Walking around seems less serious and made awkward silences less often (though i admit when i was dating a lot i was looking for the least serious thing i could get unlike now). Ha, never spent money bar the occasional drink on a first date.

Ok sorry but I'm going to be brutally honest. It's much improved from the first edit but you still come across as quite bland/nondescript...a bit like a standard non brand white loaf of bread. Meh.

From your description I would guess that you are a bit shy/awkward, slightly lacking in confidence and quite serious. You don't seem to have strong opinions e.g. "I enjoy most types of music" or "find most things funny". Nothing in the form of a defining personality there. Evening mentioning that you study Economics makes me think you think it's important/impressive which then makes me think you can be a little bit pompous. Tennis "most liked" sport?? How about expressing a proper passion for it or not mention it at all. Gladiator and Titanic are good but very run-of-the-mill, nearly everyone agrees they're good films. Same with your TV list. The part where you describe your humour is just :redface:. Show you have a sense of humour with a joke. Don't say you're random, be random. Also a bloke window-shopping and sipping on a coffee over the financial times... :sleep:.

What kind of girl are you looking for?

I think your problem is that you're trying to be appealing and in doing so you're actually holding back the bits which would make you interesting and attractive. You're scared that if you're yourself, girls might not like the sound of you. Right now I'd say anything would be preferable to the male cookie cutter profile you've created. Unless you can write engaging prose, stick to headings and lists.
(edited 9 years ago)
So much better than the original, you're lucky to have the women of TSR on your side :tongue: Now this is probably just my pedantic side, but the "i" with no capitals you use really, really annoys me and makes it come across as a bit sloppy like you didn't care that much about it which clearly isn't the case! And the only other thing I'd say is maybe take out the FT bit - even if she's a little on the Tory side it isn't most girls idea of interesting/fun (No offence!! :biggrin: ) or something you're likely to be able to talk about on a date unless she's got a similar background to you.
Reply 28
Original post by Blaq_widow
Ok sorry but I'm going to be brutally honest. It's much improved from the first edit but you still come across as quite bland/nondescript...a bit like a standard non brand white loaf of bread. Meh.

From your description I would guess that you are a bit shy/awkward, slightly lacking in confidence and quite serious. You don't seem to have strong opinions e.g. "I enjoy most types of music" or "find most things funny". Nothing in the form of a defining personality there. Evening mentioning that you study Economics makes me think you think it's important/impressive which then makes me think you can be a little bit pompous. Tennis "most liked" sport?? How about expressing a proper passion for it or not mention it at all. Gladiator and Titanic are good but very run-of-the-mill, nearly everyone agrees they're good films. Same with your TV list. The part where you describe your humour is just :redface:. Show you have a sense of humour with a joke. Don't say you're random, be random. Also a bloke window-shopping and sipping on a coffee over the financial times... :sleep:.

What kind of girl are you looking for?

I think your problem is that you're trying to be appealing and in doing so you're actually holding back the bits which would make you interesting and attractive. You're scared that if you're yourself, girls might not like the sound of you. Right now I'd say anything would be preferable to the male cookie cutter profile you've created. Unless you can write engaging prose, stick to headings and lists.

And there's me thinking i was a quality Warburton's loaf. :tongue:

Not at all. I'm extremely confident (overconfident/egotistical some say - i suppose that might be why you get a pompous feel) but i do tend to be quite serious. I don't have strong opinions about music largely because i don't care (but i'm putting out a broad net here), i have very strong opinions on things like politics and society in general (as Green Pink can probably testify below) but these things do tend to limit my catch, same with humour, can't really put that i find politically incorrect stuff hilarious (though i'm not racist or homophobic ect..) so yeah, i would say that i'm holding back on the profile in order not to limit myself solely to other intellectuals because i don't really need a girl that can debate the merits of monetary policy with me (i have friends for that) and i value personality traits far more than interests (which are usually easy to find in common eventually). I always thought Economics was impressive to people (or at least adults when they ask what i'm doing) but i can change that simply to university. Well i could say that Federer is God and makes the game look so dam beautiful. I shan't bother with the music and film section then.

Well, people like me once they've met me so i'm not worried they don't like the real me. The problem is not putting them off from meeting me by sounding a bit dry. I'm not looking for a specific woman really, for me it's about how i feel once i meet a girl. As i say above, i'm not bothered if she's a hairdresser or completing a PHD on the merits of quantitative easing.

Original post by Green_Pink
So much better than the original, you're lucky to have the women of TSR on your side :tongue: Now this is probably just my pedantic side, but the "i" with no capitals you use really, really annoys me and makes it come across as a bit sloppy like you didn't care that much about it which clearly isn't the case! And the only other thing I'd say is maybe take out the FT bit - even if she's a little on the Tory side it isn't most girls idea of interesting/fun (No offence!! :biggrin: ) or something you're likely to be able to talk about on a date unless she's got a similar background to you.

Ha. Done.

I'm currently at university, graduating this summer. I enjoy going to the gym and hope to begin playing tennis as it's brilliant and players like Federer make the game look so dam beautiful. I do like lounging around outside in the sun, especially with a BBQ or cocktail.

I'm pretty laid back and find most things funny from a good old knock knock joke to random behavior. Friends say that i'm direct, loyal, friendly, funny and random. Also that I make a killer White Russian. More often than not in my free time you'll see me window shopping or sat in a bar/coffee shop reading the paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending