Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone

I live in the US so prices are different but you've given me somewhere to start and I really appreciate that. My current hard drive is made by Samsung, are WD drives better than Samsung?
    I believe Samsung's HDD division was bought by Seagate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    Not true in my experience. Had various PC's since 1995 and only had a Mac Mini and Ipod drives fail. Both quite recently.

Had a 1tb Buffalo ministation for quite a while now with no problems despite a fair few knocks.
    Yeah I've had a few laptops with WD blues in them fail recently. My main PC has 2 4 TB Blacks in RAID0 and so far that's working out great but I got a feeling one might fail and I'll lose everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thahleel)
    Yeah I've had a few laptops with WD blues in them fail recently. My main PC has 2 4 TB Blacks in RAID0 and so far that's working out great but I got a feeling one might fail and I'll lose everything
    I thought those raid thingies prevented losing stuff from a disk failure. I could never be arsed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by green.tea)
    I thought those raid thingies prevented losing stuff from a disk failure. I could never be arsed.
    Depends which raid. IIRC, 0 increases speeds,but doesn't have the redundancies and is relatively unstable. Raid 1 is probably what you're thinking of,I think 5 and 6 (if they both exist) have the redundancies as does 10, but that's a funny one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Depends which raid. IIRC, 0 increases speeds,but doesn't have the redundancies and is relatively unstable. Raid 1 is probably what you're thinking of,I think 5 and 6 (if they both exist) have the redundancies as does 10, but that's a funny one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah 5 and 6 have error correcting partitions but I really just need the speed of an SSD (both read and write) but retaining the capacity of a mechanical hard drive, sure I don't have the Random IOPs performance that most modern SSDs do but I don't need that for my purposes. I think RAID0 is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thahleel)
    Seen this problem before, your hard drive is toast and needs replacing, once replaced install Windows on the hard drive fresh and it will be as good as new. Don't use an old hard drive that hasn't been formatted because that will have an operating system on it which is assigned to another motherboard.
    not windows 7 that's only with windows 8. If the user still has the product key on the oem sticker on the PC they can use that to install windows 7 from scratch. However the recovery disk should be able to create a new partition on another drive without any issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Aw damn, that sucks. Thank you both. Btw is there anything I need to look out for when buying a new hard drive or are they all pretty much the same?
    check out pcpartpicker it'll match the lowest price and you can change the selection for the hdd/ssd you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mufc786)
    check out pcpartpicker it'll match the lowest price and you can change the selection for the hdd/ssd you want.
    wrong person.................also pcpartpicker is notorious for being not up to date on prices and failing to include some vendors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mufc786)
    not windows 7 that's only with windows 8. If the user still has the product key on the oem sticker on the PC they can use that to install windows 7 from scratch. However the recovery disk should be able to create a new partition on another drive without any issues.
    I have windows 7 on cd but I thought these product keys only work once? Could you tell me how to do a fresh install please? Same problem with Office.

(Original post by med_soc)
    I agree, WD are usually the superior drives. The caviar range is usually the best but, avoid the WD caviar Green as these are 'eco-efficient' drives and they have lacking performance compared with other drives. I'd recommend the caviar Blue 1TB or if you are willing to go a little more expensive the WD caviar Black. They are by far the best drives. Ebuyer, usually has good prices on them and their delivery is usually within about 2 days: http://www.ebuyer.com/579049-wd-1tb-...ive-wd1003fzex
    (Original post by ElSpencerano)
    If your definitely going to buy a hard drive i can recommend a WD caviar blue 1tb, had it for 2 yrs and had no problems at all.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-...-should-i-buy/
    I was thinking of getting this, is this the one you meant?
    http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Deskto...sin=B0088PUEPK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I was thinking of getting this, is this the one you meant?
    http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Deskto...sin=B0088PUEPK
    Yeah, that should do fine, the caviar blue drive is just the older version of the blue drive but they are essentially the same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.