Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having spoke to several people that have been in the same situation... what I can gather is that you have your meeting with your assessor. They email you and show what they have recommended. You have to agree to this before it is sent on and then they look at how much you're awarded and then you get a laptop chosen for you.
    If you agreed to that then there isn't much you can do. You need to speak to the assessor and the disability dept to be reassessed to make sure they know that the laptop does not meet your needs and you need one capable of running said software.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    Having spoke to several people that have been in the same situation... what I can gather is that you have your meeting with your assessor. They email you and show what they have recommended. You have to agree to this before it is sent on and then they look at how much you're awarded and then you get a laptop chosen for you.
    If you agreed to that then there isn't much you can do. You need to speak to the assessor and the disability dept to be reassessed to make sure they know that the laptop does not meet your needs and you need one capable of running said software.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Student finance no longer offer re-assessments unless there is a change of circumstances (ie. course) or evidence of additional needs. Putting it simply, the support is for dyslexia and providing a higher spec laptop to do CAD work is not a need, but a want, therefore to be funded by the student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJones)
    Student finance no longer offer re-assessments unless there is a change of circumstances (ie. course) or evidence of additional needs. Putting it simply, the support is for dyslexia and providing a higher spec laptop to do CAD work is not a need, but a want, therefore to be funded by the student.
    You can get reassessed but the student will have to pay for this. However if they agreed to the initial assessment this may be a little hard.
    And it is a need for the computer to be sufficient for their course as that is why they have asked for a laptop in the first place. You are not entitled to one nor does every dyslexic student get one. However, having seen people go through this and get the equipment for engineering courses and having to have a better computer then it is possible to a certain extent. Anything over the amount they have been awarded they will have to pay. But once you are awarded an amount of money it is up to the student how they use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    You can get reassessed but the student will have to pay for this. However if they agreed to the initial assessment this may be a little hard.
    And it is a need for the computer to be sufficient for their course as that is why they have asked for a laptop in the first place. You are not entitled to one nor does every dyslexic student get one. However, having seen people go through this and get the equipment for engineering courses and having to have a better computer then it is possible to a certain extent. Anything over the amount they have been awarded they will have to pay. But once you are awarded an amount of money it is up to the student how they use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The student can pay for diagnostic assessment/ medical evidence but cannot pay to be reassessed for their DSA. As an assessor I can tell you most centres charge around £600 for an assessment, and I've yet to hear of anyone paying privately.

The computer is to meet the individual's need, but not necessarily to be sufficient for their course, as such machines and software are provided by the university for students to use. Currently, if a dyslexic student requires access to assistive software the laptop specification supports running the software and not running CAD software. In the past CAD spec machines have been supported, but will only continue to be recommended where, for example, a physically disabled student cannot attend the IT lab at uni. regularly to complete coursework using CAD.

ReputationRep:
    there are guidelines in place at OU one of them being is applying enough time to study and you should have known this when you enrolled, this is a golden opportunity given to yourself and you must apply yourself to it, your course tutor will expect nothing less of you my friend.
    At Bournemouth campus my hometown where I am studying the LLB law, they have fantastic facilities for students that does include a great library and a cafeteria area, that has power access points for laptops and dedicated towers with much more power than the i3, my DSA assessor has given myself the i5 but my condition is vertigo, this is a motion and balance condition, as this affects me greatly it is not always a realistic option to travel, maybe request from your assessor an extended time limits for exams, or even have your exams at home.
    The wall you have to climb over in order to study ( having children) is not one that shall readily qualify you for the same support as some of us, as I stated at the start of this post, it is all in the application, you must apply yourself fellow student, I repeat this once more your course tutor will expect you to do this and nothing less, you will probably have to get some family help to watch your children for the times you will need to use these big software packages." It is all in the application so apply yourself my friend, your tutor shall not ride your horse as well as there own".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0murtagh0)
    Hi there im looking for some advise, i have dyslexia and i am currently studying landscape architecture.

I have been but down to get a basic laptop which is a Intel® Core™ i3 15.6" 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Integrated Graphics,

Now My course leader has said that this laptop is not powerful enough for the programs i will be using throughout the course like - autocad for 3D rendering and i will also be using design studio and rhino. photshop indesign etc

My assessor will not change the laptop even though my course leader has emailed her and also my disability adviser, she states that them programs are core programs and not related to my disability and i have uni computers to use for them.

I am a mature student with two children so using the uni computers is not an option as most of my study time is spent at home once school has finished, about 80% of my modules are using core programs so for labeling in autocad or indeign i will need the software that helps me spell on the same computer, it seems completely illogical to have to spell check on one then transfer to another computer to then input it into my work.

I spoke to student finance wales and they said they can not upgrade the laptop to a high spec unless it is changed though my assessor.

can anyone give me some advise on what i should do, i have looked at the complaints process and it seems this is the only way.

sorry for the long post.
    --
    How did your reassessment turn out? More importantly, how is the course going?
    Michael
    Soon to be postgrad student and DSA applicant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.