Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Farage against plain cigarette packaging... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Here here Proves beyond reasonable doubt
    Data from Philip Morris. Philip Morris the tobacco company? Ok.

I'll go with these stats: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ma...nt/tobacco-kff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wants to get some donations from Marlboro :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Does this really affect liberty though? People can still purchase cigarettes if they wish to do so.
    It affects one's liberty to market a product in a manner of one's choosing; however I think anti-prohibitionists are more concerned that these measures seem aimed at stigmatising smoking and smokers with the eventual goal of complete prohibition.

The argument that customers are not really making a free choice because they're not aware of the negative effects until after they have become addicted may have been credible 40 years ago, but not today. Plastering pictures of diseased lungs &c. on cigarette packets does not increase peoples' awareness of the association between cigarette smoking and lung cancer, it just makes them less willing to show that they own the box in public.

What's UKIPs position on gay marriage?
    In a similar way, if we permitted gay marriage but forced married gay couples to wear an identifying symbol on their clothing in public, it might not be seen as such a clear victory for liberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Farage has expressed support for legalising hard drugs in the past. I don't think his main interest here is in tobacco companies' profits, it's in personal liberty.
    :rofl: The personal liberty to collect shiny fag packets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    It affects one's liberty to market a product in a manner of one's choosing; however I think anti-prohibitionists are more concerned that these measures seem aimed at stigmatising smoking and smokers with the eventual goal of complete prohibition.

The argument that customers are not really making a free choice because they're not aware of the negative effects until after they have become addicted may have been credible 40 years ago, but not today. Plastering pictures of diseased lungs &c. on cigarette packets does not increase peoples' awareness of the association between cigarette smoking and lung cancer, it just makes them less willing to show that they own the box in public.

In a similar way, if we permitted gay marriage but forced married gay couples to wear an identifying symbol on their clothing in public, it might not be seen as such a clear victory for liberty.
    :rofl:
    As an anti-prohibitionist smoker this is ****ing hilarious. Smokers don't give a **** what's on their fag packets you daft sod.

ReputationRep:
    To those saying that it hasn't worked in Australia, the idea behind it is to stop kids and teenagers taking up smoking. Whether this is successful or not, the results will not be seen in just a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Whether you agree with it or not plain packaging does have the effect in reduction of sales. Hence why the ciq companies are going up in arms about it. ALso do you really epxect us to beleive marketing doesn't work? Companies spend vast amounts of money and resources on marketing for a reason.

Personally I'm kind of indifferent. Smokers already pay loads of tax so they are not a financial burden in that they pay for any health problems they get. If you start smoking because the packaging looks cool you are a bit of an idiot. But I don't feel the need to defend tobacco giants either.

Do you think the companies should be able to advertise on children TV then? Since all regulation is pure evil :rolleyes:

You are correct that drug use should be treated as a health and education issue. This includes the drugs that are currently illegal.
    I genuinely don't think any tobacco company in their right mind would advertise on children's TV... It'd be an astronomical waste of money for targeting a demographic that legally cannot purchase your product. On those grounds it would likely not be necessary to legally bar them from doing so. Not to mention that if any children's TV channel did allow the advertising of cigarettes (Which would also be unbelievably stupid), they would suffer sufficient enough public backlash to make the move universally a bad decision.

I don't think all regulation is evil, just largely unnecessary. You can leave a lot of these decisions to ordinary people and companies and often times they will make informed decisions. If they don't, it's their own fault.

Yes, as I said, it comes down to education more than anything. I'm a strong advocate of recreational drug legalisation/decriminalisation. If you provide future generations with proper education on the effects of all drugs they may encounter, they can make their own mind up as to whether or not they want to indulge in them as an adult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    To those saying that it hasn't worked in Australia, the idea behind it is to stop kids and teenagers taking up smoking. Whether this is successful or not, the results will not be seen in just a year.
    That's the same excuse Trotsky used about the failures of the October Revolution, fifteen years on. We just need more time, comrades.

ReputationRep:
    Farage has spoken out against plain cigarette packaging. It is concerning to see a politician so apparently against the idea of getting people off cigarettes.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...p-condemn-move

This just shows the scant regard Farage and UKIP have for the health of the country. Farage is supposed to be the man of the people - I think he just gives his loyalty to the highest bidder... like in this example

What a crook.
    All other considerations aside, surely one can disagree with a purported solution (particularly one rooted in draconian state intervention) without necessarily being in favour of the thing the proposal is claimed to resolve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    All other considerations aside, surely one can disagree with a purported solution (particularly one rooted in draconian state intervention) without necessarily being in favour of the thing the proposal is claimed to resolve?
    I agree.

But I didn't sense that this was the case here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Farage has spoken out against plain cigarette packaging. It is concerning to see a politician so apparently against the idea of getting people off cigarettes.

This just shows the scant regard Farage and UKIP have for the health of the country. Farage is supposed to be the man of the people - I think he just gives his loyalty to the highest bidder... like in this example

What a crook.
    Sorry, don't see how being against invasive state intervention means a lack of regard for the nation's health. Maybe you need a nanny state to tell you how to live your life, but I sure don't.

Try again.

ReputationRep:

What a crook.
    All plain packaging will do is make it easier to sell counterfiet cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure this is about either personal liberty or tobacco company profits. I think this is about appealing to another group who feel marginalised by contemporary society; the older smoker who recalls when his past-time was a normal activity that could be enjoyed when and where he felt like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Plain packing won't get people off cigarettes. They don't smoke because of that.

This is a very illiberal law and one of the only things I agree with Farage on.

Why are so many people keen on government coercion?
    You are right. The only effective deterrent is price. Once people have to pay £10 for a tab they will soon stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    You are right. The only effective deterrent is price. Once people have to pay £10 for a tab they will soon stop.
    or they'll get them on the black market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    or they'll get them on the black market.
    so we need proper punishments for the dealers in death, not the feeble slap on the wrist they can expect at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Could we have plain packaging for election leaflets? So that we could not see Nigel Farage's face on every UKIP leaflet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floppycatfish96)
    All plain packaging will do is make it easier to sell counterfiet cigarettes.
    I don't think packaging will be plain as such. Packaging will have images of the sorts of nasty things smoking does to one's health.

(Original post by BitWindy)
    Sorry, don't see how being against invasive state intervention means a lack of regard for the nation's health. Maybe you need a nanny state to tell you how to live your life, but I sure don't.

Try again.
    Maybe you need to look into this again. The impression I got was that Farage was against any moves to deter people from smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    so we need proper punishments for the dealers in death, not the feeble slap on the wrist they can expect at the moment.
    You are basically a fascist.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you need to look into this again. The impression I got was that Farage was against any moves to deter people from smoking.
    By this do you mean governmental moves to deter people from smoking?

I don't see much wrong with that. I suppose there is the complication of the NHS, in that people such as yourself can argue that if they're going to use the NHS they ought to be told how to lead their lives, but I'm not going to get into an argument about the NHS here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.