Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does page 3 really objectify women to an extensive degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with it...not saying that as a man. but then people are free not to buy it. starting to realise humans get by by enforcing what they think is right/just, but meh...if we wanna see boobs, there are other places to see them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
    I'd say it's just inappropriate for a newspaper. It has no relevance to anything news related, what purpose does it really serve, other than to mildly titillate?

I have no issue with the practice, only the medium through which it is practised.
    Why do newspapers give free CDs, or books? erm..to get more sales, which is the point of them being in existence?

I think the feminists need to give men more credit.....we're not dopey/retarded enough to "abuse" women because some boobs are in the paper..

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends, what do guys think of women who are page 3 models?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamix.forllz)
    Why do newspapers give free CDs, or books? erm..to get more sales, which is the point of them being in existence?

I think the feminists need to give men more credit.....we're not dopey/retarded enough to "abuse" women because some boobs are in the paper..
    The occasional books and CD's they give out are usually educational or in some other way informative, they aren't there purely for the sake of it. Page three adds nothing to the newspaper other than a decent pair of tits, but why would that be at all relevant in a newspaper? It's like giving out a boob pic to everyone who buys a chocolate bar - okay, cheers, but why?

I agree with your second point though. It's clearly ridiculous to say men are driven to abuse by a boob pic. But that's not really a sufficient argument to keep page 3, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
    The occasional books and CD's they give out are usually educational or in some other way informative, they aren't there purely for the sake of it. Page three adds nothing to the newspaper other than a decent pair of tits, but why would that be at all relevant in a newspaper? It's like giving out a boob pic to everyone who buys a chocolate bar - okay, cheers, but why?

I agree with your second point though. It's clearly ridiculous to say men are driven to abuse by a boob pic. But that's not really a sufficient argument to keep page 3, is it?
    Who reads the Sun by and large? working class people, people of all classes who want scandal/a laugh, people who don't want anything too high-brow to read, etc. So it figures they would put them there..... I'd still say that nobody really needs to buy it, and it certainly brought them sales, which is why they sustained it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.