Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    If only! Not gonna lie, it's a pain but not as difficult as you'd expect, still, I miss the fact I could just ask my teacher if I didn't understand anything and now I'm on my own like :confused: And oh, she's awesome indeed, sure if you are ok with sharing, I'm sure we could all benefit from it!
    Yeah I often find myself seeking out my teachers to ask them random questions about the topics we're doing. Google isn't as good for once!

ReputationRep:
    The DNA nightmares

Hi everyone, are you okay? Good because I have an amazing headache.

Today has been quite a full on day, did the ecology side of the specification:
    Succession, ecosystems, intensive farming, net productivity, ect.
    But to my delight, the DNA striked again. Gene mutations, protein synthesis (again), gel electrophoresis. Well, needless to say I am currently
    :bird:

It's not too bad though, it has been ages since I have massively learnt so much. I'm still not sure on gel electrophoresis though, anybody any tips? All I know (I think) is it's a way of separating nucleic acids by staining them, using a negative charge, the smaller molecules travel faster resulting in the banded pattern which is then seen under UV light. This is done in a buffer to maintain pH and the medium is a porous gel. If anything needs adding/is wrong please help me!

On the bright side, now I can indulge into my reward so I'm going out for a while. Maybe you should try it too, I set myself a target per day and if I accomplish it then I go and reward myself with whatever. Really helps me to stay focused.

Happy Sunday everyone, hope your roast was good and hope tomorrow isn't too daunting. Mondays...

PS: Have you looked at the stars recently? No reason, other than they are relaxing to see and free.
    Attached Images

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that Atunu's grades have been verified!

:banana: :banana2: :banana:

ReputationRep:
    Just why, immunology.

If you do biology you wil understand the pain. Humoral response, cell mediated response, HIV virus, T cells..................

I feel good that I finally confronted it though. FINALLY OVER
    :mad:

Anyway, today is a short post but I'm happy that I've finished revision on unit 4 biology. Tomorrow unit 5, but I won't be posting because I know I will end up getting tiring of posting all the time. Yayno.

Happy Monday everyone, even if that seems like extreme satire.

PS: An asteroid is supposed to go past Earth today at its closest point. If you have binoculars you should be able to see it, if you are interested.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Went to Mordor and came back

Hello everyone! It seems like so long ago since I last posted.
    And some important stuff has happened. I have been going over the specification and writing everything related to each point. So, if point 2 was Describe the structure of the chloroplast in relation to their function, I'd write it as if it was an exam question.

This is really helpfull to make sure I'm learning the right stuff and to prepare for past papers.

Also, I got an offer from the University of Glasgow, AAB for Anatomy. I still think it's a dream, but it has definitely given me that final push to do better.

I am currently trying to ring any school that will let me resit the coursework because my old school refuse
    :mad:

Anyway, I hope you all have a great Friday, IT'S FRIDAY people, relax a bit.

PS: My auntie just gave birth and I do not know how I'm going to cope with meeting the baby, they scare the **** out of me.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Aerobic respiration, not as simple as oxygen in CO2 out.

Hello everyone, today I started the last unit of biology, finally. I am hoping I'll get it done this week and then go through the specification to add to my notes and see what I have missed out.

Have gone past the hurdle of the krebs cycle, but have the nervous system to come

When I'm done with biology I will start Chemistry and defeat my archenemy once and for all.

Until then, I hope you are getting on top of your revision and being happy overall, happy Sunday.

PS: How many times can one person just stare at a screen without actually reading anything, I have spent 3 hours that way, damn focus

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Nervous system, no need to say more.

Hello fellow students, so yesterday and today were majorly spent going through the last unit of biology and specifically today through the specification of `Run for your life´ Them muscles.

Anywho, tomorrow I will have finished my revision for biology and will start doing past papers and chemistry, as I´ve mentioned before.

So far this is all I have to say, I hope you are feeling great and learning stuff.

PS: I am planning to have the biggest pizza ever and watch GoT, need to catch up before the next season starts. Ey? I said I was going to revise not give my life up.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    What exam boards are you doing for Bio and Chem? I'm in a similar situation to you as I'm self teaching this year due to extnuating circumstances in the same subjects bar Psychology (doing Maths).

I got CCD in my first attempt at A Levels and I'm aiming for AAB. No one's replied to my blog so I thought I'd chip in here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamboGooner)
    What exam boards are you doing for Bio and Chem? I'm in a similar situation to you as I'm self teaching this year due to extnuating circumstances in the same subjects bar Psychology (doing Maths).

I got CCD in my first attempt at A Levels and I'm aiming for AAB. No one's replied to my blog so I thought I'd chip in here
    Hey! I am doing ocr salters for chem and edexcel nuffield-salters for bio. It a painful situation isn't it? Struggle buddies. Are you retaking any AS modules or just A2 ones?
    Of course, feel free to chip in!

ReputationRep:
    That didn't work!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    Hey! I am doing ocr salters for chem and edexcel nuffield-salters for bio. It a painful situation isn't it? Struggle buddies. Are you retaking any AS modules or just A2 ones?
    Of course, feel free to chip in!
    I'm retaking 2 AS modules and doing 7 A2 modules in total (1 EMPA/ISA exam). I did badly last year due to extenuating circumstances, but now I'm working as hard as I can to get into my firm offer uni!

I've almost finished rattling through my AS resits, it's just A2 Chemistry is such a slog, although I've got respite in that I'm only doing 1 Biology unit. How many modules are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    That didn't work!
    What didn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benthelamb)
    Good luck all!
    Thank you! You too

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking 2 AS modules and doing 7 A2 modules in total (1 EMPA/ISA exam). I did badly last year due to extenuating circumstances, but now I'm working as hard as I can to get into my firm offer uni!

I've almost finished rattling through my AS resits, it's just A2 Chemistry is such a slog, although I've got respite in that I'm only doing 1 Biology unit. How many modules are you doing?
    Oh wow that is a big workload, but at least you almost have AS done. Chemistry is the biggest burden I have ever suffered, you are doing 1 biology? So how many A levels have you taken? I'm doing 6 modules, so the whole of A2 for chemistry and biology (exams and coursework)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    Oh wow that is a big workload, but at least you almost have AS done. Chemistry is the biggest burden I have ever suffered, you are doing 1 biology? So how many A levels have you taken? I'm doing 6 modules, so the whole of A2 for chemistry and biology (exams and coursework)
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I'm doing all of the A2 Chemistry Units and Unit 1 from AS. For Biology I meant to say I'm doing 2 units, Unit 2 and 4 (although I've almost finished all of Unit 2 now). I'm doing all of A2 Maths (C3, C4 and S2). So that makes up 9 modules in total.

The Maths modules I'm taking aren't as pressurising as I only need to get a B this year to get an A overall. It's chemistry which I'm most worried about though as well!

The only coursework unit I'm doing is the A2 Chemistry EMPA!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I'm doing all of the A2 Chemistry Units and Unit 1 from AS. For Biology I meant to say I'm doing 2 units, Unit 2 and 4 (although I've almost finished all of Unit 2 now). I'm doing all of A2 Maths (C3, C4 and S2). So that makes up 9 modules in total.

The Maths modules I'm taking aren't as pressurising as I only need to get a B this year to get an A overall. It's chemistry which I'm most worried about though as well!

The only coursework unit I'm doing is the A2 Chemistry EMPA!
    Ufff that's quite a handful, reminds me of last year, I did 12 modules and it was so painful :') yes chemistry is that one subject that everyone fears but if you get a good grade it is very useful.
    Coursework is horrible, I dislike it more than exams.
    Good luck with the workload, for the sounds of it you are on track!

ReputationRep:
    Sincere apologies

Hello everyone, long time I know, procrastination got to me a bit. I like to think it wasn't like that before...
    I'm back on track now though, I think, and I have made it a goal that I will finish chemistry in mid April, hoping it won't take longer than that or I'm ****ed.
    Anyway, at least biology is done, finished going through the spec.

However I have definitely slowed down and losing motivation a bit, I'll have to find a way to stop that.

PS: I blame GoT, how can they make me wait until April. Impatient isn't the word.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Ready, set, goal.

So as you know we have to set a goal for this half term and try to accomplish it (you're welcome for the obviousness). I've kind of set myself a goal on the last post but in true spirit of competition here it goes, for this half term:

I'm going to try to get F334 done, which would mean I'd have about 2 months for F335. Bit much? Nothing wrong with trying. Already bricking it.

So there, hope you are all motivated for your goals, good luck and enjoy your half term!

PS: Carnival was supposed to be one of these days, I missed the chance to wear a ridiculously stupid outfit/go to Venice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atunu)
    Ufff that's quite a handful, reminds me of last year, I did 12 modules and it was so painful :') yes chemistry is that one subject that everyone fears but if you get a good grade it is very useful.
    Coursework is horrible, I dislike it more than exams.
    Good luck with the workload, for the sounds of it you are on track!
    It isn't too bad really, same number of modules as any person doing 3 A2s with no resits. Thankfully I've got a good mix between AS and A2 content, so it evens out I suppose! Good luck you too, great to see you on track as well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.