Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If you could re-listen to any album/song at all.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Great Wagner Singers - Deutsche Grammophon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Great Wagner Singers - Deutsche Grammophon
    I didn't think about operatic music- great choice it would be interesting to know whether opera would still affect you in the same way after your mind had been erased of it.

ReputationRep:
    Baduizm by erykah badu. I remember the first time I listened to it and even song was like a gem of

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    I didn't think about operatic music- great choice it would be interesting to know whether opera would still affect you in the same way after your mind had been erased of it.
    Once a fanaticised Wagnerian always a fanaticised Wagnerian
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    There are so many. I forgot all about Argus, which is odd because it's one of my all time favourites. I saw them quite recently (Martin Turner) and the sound was like being in a studio with them. Unbelievably good.

Yes Camel is a favourite band, I chose ICSYHFH mainly because of Ice on that album and I love the solo on Summer Lightning.

Others I should have listed include;

Santana - Abraxas
    Tori Amos - Boys for Pele
    Frank Zappa - One Size Fits
    I saw Martin Turner a few years ago when they were touring with The Strawbs and Focus. Unfortunately he couldn't really sing very well and one of my main criticisms is that is sounded just like the studio album. I've seen "Wishbone Ash" rather than "Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash" four times and they always mix things up, alter sections and improvise the solos so it's like a new experience.

Martin Turner, however, is a lot friendlier than Andy Powell. I've met them both and MT was really happy to chat with me and my brother for 5-10 minutes whereas AP just signs the ticket and says thank you before moving onto the next person - all three times I met him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Once a fanaticised Wagnerian always a fanaticised Wagnerian
    All hail Wagner! :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Nice! A different choice of albums to what I would have gone for though - I'd go for Camel's self titled, Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge (I really enjoy TB but the second part really lets it down after the climax of the first whereas HR is consistently excellent I think) and The Man Machine or Computer World by Kraftwerk.

For me, I'd also go for

Wishbone Ash - Argus
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Selling England By The Pound
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    Fen - everything they've produced
    Mark Knopfler - everything he's produced as a solo artist.
    Midlake - Antiphon
    Arsaidh - Roots
    Saor - Aura

And a few others.
    Those are all great choices I especially love Wishbone Ash, Genesis, Midlake and Mike Oldfield. I'm a huge prog rock fan so I was bound to take notice I'll have to give the others a go though!

ReputationRep:
    All hail Wagner! :adore:
    I won't trust a politician unless he is a Wagnerian Germanophile (I want to be an independent politician lol)

I did the voting registration the other day, after having got a letter saying I'd be fined £80 if I didn't even though I'm 17 and won't be able to vote for about 5 years (as others in year 12 were saying these are 'peak times')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I won't trust a politician unless he is a Wagnerian Germanophile (I want to be an independent politician lol)

I did the voting registration the other day, after having got a letter saying I'd be fined £80 if I didn't even though I'm 17 and won't be able to vote for about 5 years (as others in year 12 were saying these are 'peak times')
    How ridiculous- I'm assuming that the people under that government scheme were not Wagnerian Germanophiles! In all seriousness though, I didn't realise that people under the age limit to vote were still not exempt from being fined.

ReputationRep:
    The Killchain - Bolt Thrower
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Those are all great choices I especially love Wishbone Ash, Genesis, Midlake and Mike Oldfield. I'm a huge prog rock fan so I was bound to take notice I'll have to give the others a go though!
    Great to see some love for Midlake and Mike Oldfield!

If you're mostly into that kind of thing then some of the other bands I've listed are possibly not your cup of tea.

Electric Wizard are very heavy stoner doom metal. Fen are atmospheric black metal .If you can get over the harsh vocals then you might see that the compositions are wonderful, "Spectre" is a good song to start with as it's devoid of harsh vocals

Saor and Arsaidh are atmospheric folk/black metal, technically they're the same band but the name changed. Roots is probably more accessible and I prefer the atmosphere
    Mark Knopfler is just an all round legend - his solo material is mostly blues and traditional folk with a few other nice things thrown in. It's a lot easier to get into, but no less complex.

ReputationRep:
    Great to see some love for Midlake and Mike Oldfield!

If you're mostly into that kind of thing then some of the other bands I've listed are possibly not your cup of tea.

Electric Wizard are very heavy stoner doom metal. Fen are atmospheric black metal .If you can get over the harsh vocals then you might see that the compositions are wonderful, "Spectre" is a good song to start with as it's devoid of harsh vocals

Saor and Arsaidh are atmospheric folk/black metal, technically they're the same band but the name changed. Roots is probably more accessible and I prefer the atmosphere
    Mark Knopfler is just an all round legend - his solo material is mostly blues and traditional folk with a few other nice things thrown in. It's a lot easier to get into, but no less complex.
    Yeah I absolutely love Midlake- especially their albums, 'The Courage of Others' and 'The Trials of Van Occupanther.' If you like that kind of folksy sound then I definitely recommend The Decemberists and Fossil Collective.

Mike Oldfield is an old love of mine as well which brushed off from my parent's musical influences I won't mention Tubular Bells at the risk of sounding cliche, but.. it's amazing. The same goes for Ommadawn. Also you're speaking of the Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits fame right? I only know him from that band but if he has any solo work then I'll look into that too.

If what you say is true then Saor and Arsaidh should definitely appeal to me, but I'll definitely be giving everything you mentioned a go. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Any La Dispute album as I remember getting goosebumps the first time I listened to Vancouver.

The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me by Brand New is incredible too :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I absolutely love Midlake- especially their albums, 'The Courage of Others' and 'The Trials of Van Occupanther.' If you like that kind of folksy sound then I definitely recommend The Decemberists and Fossil Collective.

Mike Oldfield is an old love of mine as well which brushed off from my parent's musical influences I won't mention Tubular Bells at the risk of sounding cliche, but.. it's amazing. The same goes for Ommadawn. Also you're speaking of the Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits fame right? I only know him from that band but if he has any solo work then I'll look into that too.

If what you say is true then Saor and Arsaidh should definitely appeal to me, but I'll definitely be giving everything you mentioned a go. Thank you!
    I adore all of the Midlake albums I own (which is all of them except their very first one, which was bought as a present for me but had to be taken back as the content of the CD wasn't actually Midlake!)

I've certainly heard of The Decemberists before but never heard them - cheers for the recommendations.

Tubular Bells is somewhat clichéd but a lot of people only recognise the opening section because of The Exorcist, may favourite section is the grand build up at the end of the first half starting with that glorious bass line and culminating with tubular bells. The second half has some wonderful parts but the vocals do somewhat detract from it, I think. I think Hergest Ridge is my favourite album, although I don't know much after Ommadawn. It helps that I've been to Hergest Ridge a few times so I can connect a bit more with the music

It's the very same Mark Knopfler. I'd recommend Get Lucky as a good starting album, it's a very good example of the kind of thing he does and it's the first one I got. I have all his solo studio albums now except the one that's coming out in a few weeks, Tracker.

This is possibly my favourite Saor song:

It's a long one, but it's so worth waiting for it to build up

ReputationRep:
    I adore all of the Midlake albums I own (which is all of them except their very first one, which was bought as a present for me but had to be taken back as the content of the CD wasn't actually Midlake!)

I've certainly heard of The Decemberists before but never heard them - cheers for the recommendations.

Tubular Bells is somewhat clichéd but a lot of people only recognise the opening section because of The Exorcist, may favourite section is the grand build up at the end of the first half starting with that glorious bass line and culminating with tubular bells. The second half has some wonderful parts but the vocals do somewhat detract from it, I think. I think Hergest Ridge is my favourite album, although I don't know much after Ommadawn. It helps that I've been to Hergest Ridge a few times so I can connect a bit more with the music

It's the very same Mark Knopfler. I'd recommend Get Lucky as a good starting album, it's a very good example of the kind of thing he does and it's the first one I got. I have all his solo studio albums now except the one that's coming out in a few weeks, Tracker.

This is possibly my favourite Saor song:

It's a long one, but it's so worth waiting for it to build up
    I've been compiling a huge list of all of the music on this thread but I'll definitely be including the Hergest Ridge album and some of Mark Knopfler's music now thank you for all your recommendations!

Part Two of Tubular Bells is definitely my favourite- The whole build up to it is amazing and the wolf-man hooting just makes me laugh! But I absolutely love it. It's a shame that it has to be continually associated with The Exorcist. It has this strange eloquence to it that doesn't need defining and now everyone assumes it to be a horror movie soundtrack.

So far I'm loving the Saor song though it's very atmospheric! You'll probably know this song but I absolutely love this version of it..

ReputationRep:
    Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.