Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

why this meaningless pursuit of power, respect and status? Oh and sex I guess. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    what's wrong with Wolowitz? He's funny
    yes he is.
    he is also skinny, obsessed with sex although awkward around girls and never gets much attention. he is self conscious because he doesn't have a PhD. and he has a fat mom who is constantly making him eat :eek: you MUST be him!

Spoiler:
    Show
    i'm just pulling your leg

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that truly matters is survival. We don't compete because we necessarily want to: we compete so that we can maintain our independence and not become subject to the whims of others.

This applies to states, people, animals. Adapt and compete, or die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    yes he is.
    he is also skinny, obsessed with sex although awkward around girls and never gets much attention. he is self conscious because he doesn't have a PhD. and he has a fat mom who is constantly making him eat :eek: you MUST be him!

Spoiler:
    Show
    i'm just pulling your leg
    :P

ReputationRep:
    :P
    maybe your mission in life, like his, should be to build a robotic girlfriend to fulfill all your emotional and sexual needs :eek:
    lets face it it's still a more achievable goal than trying to become Superman.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike corporatism, I don't want to benefit off the misery of others, preying on their insecurities and fears to make a profit. Yes I want sex with someone I'm attracted to, but changing who I am just to get it? I'd rather wait for someone I really love and care for, like a best friend I want to bang madly.
    If you don't like it, don't do it.

No, seriously. If you don't like doing it, then don't do it just because everyone else is. And don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to do it to succeed, "win" at life, or anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    If you don't like it, don't do it.

No, seriously. If you don't like doing it, then don't do it just because everyone else is. And don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to do it to succeed, "win" at life, or anything else.
    I've got to figure out what I do like as well

ReputationRep:
    I've got to figure out what I do like as well
    Well, you sure do know what you don't like

That's a good a place to start as any. Just follow what you're passionate about

ReputationRep:
    ok edited jeebus, why is everyone fixating on that
    No one here wants to know of your masturbation habits.
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    no one really needs to know your ******* habits tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it does actually have relevance to the story though. you 2 wouldn't know that but geezers often feel very empty after a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    it does actually have relevance to the story though. you 2 wouldn't know that but geezers often feel very empty after a ****.
    fine but why make a thread about it? i feel ****ty a lot of the time but i dont make 3-4 threads about it every day. maybe i'm old fashioned but it seems like a very private thing for me. if he has those kind of problems he should be posting on the sexual health forum.

ReputationRep:
    fine but why make a thread about it? i feel ****ty a lot of the time but i dont make 3-4 threads about it every day. maybe i'm old fashioned but it seems like a very private thing for me. if he has those kind of problems he should be posting on the sexual health forum.
    look i'm not going to pretend i read the whole OP. it isn't a sex problem so no it doesn't belong in the sexual health forum. it just so happens that these feelings OFTEN come about after a ****. it just provides a little context for the geezers to relate to.

ReputationRep:
    look i'm not going to pretend i read the whole OP. it isn't a sex problem so no it doesn't belong in the sexual health forum. it just so happens that these feelings OFTEN come about after a ****. it just provides a little context for the geezers to relate to.
    okay.

i would still tell the op that this is an ongoing problem that he's been having which is not going to be solved on tsr, and the best course of action to take would be to seek therapy. the ******* is irrelevant because in all of his previous threads he posts similar things, indicating that he feels like this a lot of the time and not just after a ******* session.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe move to mental Health

I don't know why, I woke up and […] a certain emptiness in my current values was felt. Everything with me is 'I must be great or my life will be crap' 'only the best get anything good in life' 'I will never be happy if I'm mediocre or average in some way'. It then translates into 'women want alpha males' 'if my gf has an MA and I don't have a phD she will cheat on me/leave me' -this leads on to 'graa hypergamy' 'attraction is amoral everyone is shallow and heartless when it comes to sex I'm ****ed nooo' 'all these guys despise how low social status I am' 'this guy is better than me but I am better than this other guy but who cares because this guy is better than me and that's dangerous', spiralling downwards until I am in some cycle of self-loathing and paranoia.

The lifestyle this philosophy aims to get won't even make me happy, I think I only want it so much because it's been sold to me as a mark of my success and manhood (which I question regularly), and also because it's the ultimate grass is greener issue, why do we always want what we can't have? I doubt I'd get any kick out of it, once I have it, if I ever do. Yes I want to look good but is it necessary to be the next Zyzz? (srs) Yes I want to achieve but do I have to be CEO? I dislike corporatism, I don't want to benefit off the misery of others, preying on their insecurities and fears to make a profit. Yes I want sex with someone I'm attracted to, but changing who I am just to get it? I'd rather wait for someone I really love and care for, like a best friend I want to bang madly.

It's all just…vacuous.

All this desperate desire for great power and status, and yet I created a reputation as one of the most pathetic individuals on TSR in 2013/4. Worse I don't even have a plan to achieve my great powers, I am literally (literally) motivated by my **** and overactive imagination here. I'm like a 10-year old saying 'I want to be an astronaut!' but actually sucks at Physics and sports.

what is going on here? Is there anything to be gained from this philosophy? There is something missing. I'm 22 I could be doing something better with my time than mentally raging over imaginary worst-case scenarios.

The worst part is I think there is some truth it's just I've managed to catastrophise it to such an extreme I'm not functioning much. I'm getting wound up about other people's problems ffs. But I do believe people do respond better when you come across in X way and this does translate into LMS, not just sexually but as in respect and power. And I do think that this sexual power, like money as power, is responsible for a lot of the trouble in the modern world.

This philosophy is the adult equivalent of going on a 3-day sulk because your parents couldn't afford tickets to Disneyworld (that's another place I want to go to).

rant over
    Okay on a time limit but I am going to respond to this the best I can in the time I have because clearly you spent a lot of time writing that and I honestly your post hit home, so I couldn't not respond. Any hoo...

Your 1st paragraph is my thought process is and has been mine for a very long time, so I know EXACTLY where you are coming from but it struck me that I am a woman so you may not believe me (sadly). SO just to explain I will now post a response for every thought you wrote down, here goes.

'I must be great or my life will be crap'- I think this every morning and every night and I am not exaggerating, I feel like my life has not been lived if I haven't achieved anything great by 30.

'only the best get anything good in life'- There was a time once when my brain, not a by-product of the world I am surrounded by but genuinely a happy unaffected brain, felt like I was great.Then you hit puberty and EVERYTHING changes. Now all we are all on this pursuit for greatness and would go to lengths to achieve it IF we didn't have a million other thoughts(including the ones you have stated) also swimming around in our heads so it's not lie that the 'best' do achieve these great things, probably because they can overcome this thought process.

I will never be happy if I'm mediocre or average in some way'.- I will never ever be happy to marry and have children(which would be something I consider mediocre,clearly nothing wrong with it but it's just average for me) so I refuse to marry until I have achieved something, it's a stupid way to think I know but I can't bare the thought of having 'nothing to my name', I have promised myself I will not be average, so much so that I have a strong dislike towards the word 'average'.

'women want alpha males'- Just to put it in there not all women do, but on my quest for greatness
    in life, yes they are attractive to me because obviously we are all in love with strength and superiority and would love to adopt that nature ourselves, it's not the same for everyone and that is not why everyone is attracted to 'alpha males'. But honestly don't get too hung up on it OP, I can't speak for the world but 'Oh he is an alpha male' isn't in everyones train of thought when they meet someone. There is so much more explaining to do then that ^ and science behind about why women are attracted to alpha males,so I suggest look it up

if my gf has an MA and I don't have a phD she will cheat on me/leave me'- Cheating is done for many reasons, I am not saying this could not be one of them if someone more successful then you showed up the maybe...(If you value a phD as successful and I am assuming you do) but obviously I doubt it. But on that note, I feel the same about my spouse being more successful then I am so I know what you mean.

-this leads on to 'graa hypergamy' 'attraction is amoral everyone is shallow and heartless when it comes to sex I'm ****ed nooo' 'all these guys despise how low social status I am' 'this guy is better than me but I am better than this other guy but who cares because this guy is better than me and that's dangerous', spiralling downwards until I am in some cycle of self-loathing and paranoia.

I know what you mean. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Para 2:

Yes it is sold to you, but you have bought it so you are just as bad. It is now something you desire that comes in the way of your happiness, how are you going to overcome this? Most people would say you need to learn to be content with what you have, but my outlook on this and also why I have written you an essay on this, is that you might as well commit to achieving it or feel like crap for the rest of your life, it is a choice really, if your not good enough then you won't have it. Will you hate it once you have it? yes maybe, but is that worse then never having it? I don't know, you decide.

OH MY LORD the 'grass is greener issue', reading about the people who experienced the greener grass on the other side is another reason to feel like you will never amount to anything great in life...

Oh and the sex, yes we all want to be attractive and have sex with attractive people and I can see how this adds to the 'problems'. Honestly it's not shallow either, it's human nature. Sex and beauty do interlink.

Okay now that I have spent 20 minutes expressing how I feel, I can tell you that you are not alone and yes you do have an over active imagination(me too) so what do you do about it? probably stop using this train of thought against you and stop questioning whether you want it. If you want it then you need to stop letting it de- motivate you, hatch up a plan and sort your life out. If you don't care for it much, go live your life as fully as you can and don't look back. Honestly your happiness is up to you, for me my imagination is so far gone that if I went for the 'normal' life option, I will feel like I have failed my self. But I am not inside your brain OP so you need to decide on what you want and go about getting it. You could die tomorrow y'know...so sort it out. A bit rich coming from me as I don't feel like I live my life properly due to this train of thought.

So you either go get it? or demolish it? either way you really need to start living because you don't want to look back on your life and see it as wasted life.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't believe I wrote so much, I hope I answered your question but seriously your post really did hit home with me. You may have just written it because you were having a bad day and I typed you up an essay, with very good analysis may I just add

ReputationRep:
    okay.

i would still tell the op that this is an ongoing problem that he's been having which is not going to be solved on tsr, and the best course of action to take would be to seek therapy. the ******* is irrelevant because in all of his previous threads he posts similar things, indicating that he feels like this a lot of the time and not just after a ******* session.
    slick edit was slick.

yeah i'm not in a position to speak on it because i didn't even read it all, and i'm aware you've spoken to our smash a fair bit. i just wanted to let the people know that i could relate to that part of the post.

ReputationRep:
    slick edit was slick.

yeah i'm not in a position to speak on it because i didn't even read it all, and i'm aware you've spoken to our smash a fair bit. i just wanted to let the people know that i could relate to that part of the post.
    lol why bother if youre not going to even read the op.
    yeah ive seen him a great deal on here and the pattern is always the same.

ReputationRep:
    lol why bother if youre not going to even read the op.
    yeah ive seen him a great deal on here and the pattern is always the same.
    why bother what? i'm openly not bothering.. in fact i just said that precisely because i hadn't read it i'm not in a position to speak on it . . ..

ReputationRep:
    haha is this from the movie? :P
    yeap

ReputationRep:
    Riku/10

ReputationRep:
    I see your points. I really don't get how some people can be so confident, a few people I know including on this site border on narcissism and it's just beyond me how one can rationalise themselves to this level of importance.

Perhaps I should take up your egotist world-view it seems more useful
    To be honest I think that you think that because you're paranoid, not because you're more rational than others, or better at predicting probability.

I know it's not much use me saying that. It's like saying during a debate "you're wrong, I'm right", I haven't told how to see that you're paranoid, but that's the problem - I'm not sure how you could get yourself to see that...

Maybe if by saying this I can incite some sort of open-mindedness about the potential for you to be paranoid that would be sufficient and make this post worthwhile?

By paranoid I essentially mean "exaggerating the probability of negative consequences occurring from actions you undertake".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosebud114)
    I honestly can't believe I wrote so much, I hope I answered your question but seriously your post really did hit home with me. You may have just written it because you were having a bad day and I typed you up an essay, with very good analysis may I just add
    Don't worry, I enjoyed reading it even if nobody else did

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.