The Student Room Group

Doctor wrote miscarriage/ectopic but didn't even tell us?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well I went to the hospital today and had bloods done at 8am and had a long wait till 3.30pm!

She said my HCG level is in the 400's (can't remember exact amount) and shes concerned as she expected it to be 1,000+ as its been 4 days since i tested at 290

:frown: opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Well I went to the hospital today and had bloods done at 8am and had a long wait till 3.30pm!

She said my HCG level is in the 400's (can't remember exact amount) and shes concerned as she expected it to be 1,000+ as its been 4 days since i tested at 290

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Shes asked me to go to the hospital tomorrow at 9am to see a doctor :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Shes asked me to go to the hospital tomorrow at 9am to see a doctor :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Hia hun, I replied to your PM. 85% of normal pregnancies the level doubles every 48-72 hours. It's not full proof that it's ectopic, and you could still be that 15%. I still don't see why the doctor suspected this. You might be going through all this for nothing. x
The doctor would have suspected a problem with the pregnancy due to the abdominal pain you were experiencing, the two most likely causes of pain due to complications in early pregnancy are cramping type pain as the uterus contracts to expel a non-viable foetus, or a constant pain caused by an embryo growing in the narrow fallopian tube. I expect she wanted to rule out either of these scenarios as both can cause complications now and with future pregnancies if not dealt with quickly.

Having said this, it is not all that rare to experience pain in early pregnancy when things are progressing normally, so you don't necessarily need to panic. Your doctor really should have discussed all the possibilities with you and allowed you to ask questions.

Serum HCG levels rise gradually over the first few weeks of pregnancy, if the baby had miscarried the levels would be slowly decreasing.

There really is very little to see on scan until about 6 weeks, so it is not going to be a useful diagnostic test at this stage. Try not to stress. Stay active, but don't do anything to strenuous for a few weeks. I hope all works out for you.
I cannot help you on the blood levels as mine was so long ago and with me they took me in for an exploratory laparoscopy to see what was going on, as they really don't like to say anything until they are sure - all I can say is that IF you are ectopic,this doesn't mean you will not be able to have children in the future,depending on your views and the way I viewed my ectopic, was that I was in the very early stages of pregnancy,that it wasn't yet a baby,just a ball of cells that had become attached to the wall of the bowl as well as my fallopian tube and never would have developed into an actual baby - not any comfort I know,but IF you are ectopic,and it is by no means certain that you are , you still have a very very high chance of having children in the future , I have 2 and it didn't take me any longer to get pregnant ,even with only one fallopian tube , Good luck
Firstly, good luck and I hope it goes well. I'm not sure if you've said it already, but mention what was said in the referral letter, tell them how worried you are and try and get the hospital to look into it.

Draw the hospitals attention to it, in case it escaped their attention in the initial letter.
Reply 28
Got examined internally and they found a cyst on my ovary (said its perfectly safe/normal) and there was a tiny fluid sac in my womb.

I was then examined by a doctor internally and he said it looks perfectly fine inside.

Ive been asked to come back 9th feb for another scan to see if the sac grows into a baby or whether its just fluid.

They did say my progesterone level was 45.3 and the healthy level is 65+ but unhealthy is 10 and below so im kind of ok but should be more...

They said i could be earlier than expected but they arent sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Got examined internally and they found a cyst on my ovary (said its perfectly safe/normal) and there was a tiny fluid sac in my womb.

I was then examined by a doctor internally and he said it looks perfectly fine inside.

Ive been asked to come back 9th feb for another scan to see if the sac grows into a baby or whether its just fluid.

They did say my progesterone level was 45.3 and the healthy level is 65+ but unhealthy is 10 and below so im kind of ok but should be more...

They said i could be earlier than expected but they arent sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emjaylu

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to start asking the professionals these questions, missy. It's no good just nodding along to what they say and then asking us - ask them! Ask as many questions as you like until you feel you understand what's going on and the possible implications. A good one is "What could that mean?" Don't worry about annoying them - they're there to help.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Hi all, just a mini update before my scan tomorrow (nervous!)

I havent had ANY bleeding at all not even spotting.

I have had some minor aches on Saturday but it was like a small cramp/period aching pain, i had a bit of back ache but thats probably related to the 12 hour shifts i do!

Wish me luck tomorrow i will update you when i find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Hi all, just a mini update before my scan tomorrow (nervous!)

I havent had ANY bleeding at all not even spotting.

I have had some minor aches on Saturday but it was like a small cramp/period aching pain, i had a bit of back ache but thats probably related to the 12 hour shifts i do!

Wish me luck tomorrow i will update you when i find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck. Really hope all goes well
Original post by Frantica
Best of luck. Really hope all goes well

Good luck - but as you have had no further "proper pain" and just the usual pregnancy aches,am sure you will be fine.
Good luck! xx
Reply 36
Went for the scan after nearly 3 hours waiting. They saw a yolk sack and said i'm 5weeks 1 day. She said everything is looking good and how it should be at this stage. I have to go back in 2 weeks and she said we will most likely see the baby

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Went for the scan after nearly 3 hours waiting. They saw a yolk sack and said i'm 5weeks 1 day. She said everything is looking good and how it should be at this stage. I have to go back in 2 weeks and she said we will most likely see the baby :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emjaylu
Went for the scan after nearly 3 hours waiting. They saw a yolk sack and said i'm 5weeks 1 day. She said everything is looking good and how it should be at this stage. I have to go back in 2 weeks and she said we will most likely see the baby

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's excellent news, congratulations! I hope everything from here onwards goes well, that you don't get too much morning or all-day sickness! Best wishes for the next 35 weeks.
Original post by emjaylu
Went for the scan after nearly 3 hours waiting. They saw a yolk sack and said i'm 5weeks 1 day. She said everything is looking good and how it should be at this stage. I have to go back in 2 weeks and she said we will most likely see the baby :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations xx

Quick Reply

Latest