Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Men Shouldn't hit women' - Does anyone believe in this sexist notion? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsxcde)
    Hey usually in the old films the man slaps her right back harder.
    I've not really watched those. If I did it would be uncomfortable too, although it would feel more like it was from a bygone era than the ones I'm talking about.

I recall Simon Pegg kicking an old woman in Hot Fuzz but that was definitely called for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklevisionary)
    Does anyone here believe that men shouldn't hit women no matter the circumstances? (i.e she hits him first/ provokes him to an extent that anyone may hit someone). I'm interested in people's opinions (particularly those which believe this is a rule which should be adhered to).
    Note: I don't believe people should hit each other as a rule, regardless of gender and am very annoyed/shocked when I hear people say the phrase in the thread title.
    It is not sexist to acknowledge that women are weaker than men. Ideally, nobody should hit anybody. But it is more urgent that a man should avoid hitting a woman, than a woman hitting a man.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Chucklevisionary)
    Does anyone here believe that men shouldn't hit women no matter the circumstances? (i.e she hits him first/ provokes him to an extent that anyone may hit someone). I'm interested in people's opinions (particularly those which believe this is a rule which should be adhered to).
    Note: I don't believe people should hit each other as a rule, regardless of gender and am very annoyed/shocked when I hear people say the phrase in the thread title.
    It's not just that men shouldn't hit women, but women shouldn't hit/ slap men, which they do! It's silly when people keep complaining saying it's all women who are the victim, because men are too!

People need to remember that women hit men, it's a two way thing and this feminism thing where they always make women the victim is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    I think the social acceptability of women hitting men is the real issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I think the social acceptability of women hitting a men is the real issue.
    I agree, it's seen as acceptable in society and in many cases as comedic which it absolutely is not.

ReputationRep:
    You give what you get. If you are a woman and you hit a man, don't be surprised or complain if he returns the favour.

ReputationRep:
    For me, gender doesn't factor into it at all. I'm completely against any form of violence, of any kind, full stop. Be it parent against child, man against woman, schoolchildren bullying other kids, woman being violent against men, thugs attacking people in the streets...as far as I'm concerned, it's all classed as violence and I'm against it all.

If someone is violent against you, I believe you have the right to defend yourself to such an extent as to prevent any harm from coming your way. If that means having to use some violence to control a woman who is attacking you, then so be it. A couple of days ago, I was beaten up by a woman, she was slapping me, punching me, scratching me...she was extremely violent but I didn't retaliate. Not because she's a woman, but because I'm completely against violence. It disgusts me.

Animals in the wild resort to violence to sort out their issues. As human beings, I expect more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I believe that "Men should not hit women" is a subset of the rule "No one should hit anyone", yes.
    By specifying this alleged subset though it's hard not to see how you're not emphasising extra importance for this rule above "don't hit people"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    By specifying this alleged subset though it's hard not to see how you're not emphasising extra importance for this rule above "don't hit people"
    It was that specific alleged subset that was asked about. I didn't mean to give it any special importance.

ReputationRep:
    If a woman rebels against her husband then as a LAST RESORT (for you islamphobes) i believe she can be discplined physically with a just a light beat/tap not so much to cause bruising but just to get her attention and to get a grasp of reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    It is not sexist to acknowledge that women are weaker than men. Ideally, nobody should hit anybody. But it is more urgent that a man should avoid hitting a woman, than a woman hitting a man.
    Sexism 1.01

A very good friend of mine was put into an ICU and almost killed by a female thug wielding a high heeled shoe. The reason?
    He is a nice guy and didn't defend himself like he would with a man and turned away from her for a second.

It's not that uncommon either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...in-prison.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...el-jailed.html

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/St...ail/story.html

http://www.glamour.com/fashion/blogs...r-shoes-florid

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/9...pon_in_brawl_/

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...t_told/?ref=mr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by string56)
    If a woman rebels against her husband then as a LAST RESORT (for you islamphobes) i believe she can be discplined physically with a just a light beat/tap not so much to cause bruising but just to get her attention and to get a grasp of reality.
    Now that is sexism.

ReputationRep:
    As a woman yes it is sexist. Having said that you shouldn't hit back unless in self defence. The only time I've ever seen anyone hit anyone is when my sister was off her head on drugs and my dad slapped her (not hard) because she was hurting herself and my parents and threw me against the wall. To this day he regrets it and gets tearful thinking about it.

Violence always has consequences and none of those are ever positive regardless of gender age or situation
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    No. I hit a guy in school once, and he hit me right back. No chill
    You shouldn't have hit him and he shouldn't have hit you. It's your fault :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not very good to hit anyone. I guess an attack on someone substantially weaker, however this occurs, is even more abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you shouldn't, unless perhaps she is a black belt :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    You shouldn't have hit him and he shouldn't have hit you. It's your fault :rolleyes:
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    ffs stop trying to justify violence, about "it's fair/ it's equality". How about no one hits anyone!!! Kmt :mad:

ReputationRep:
    A girl hit me once at university. I returned the favour, no regrets, would do it again too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsxcde)
    usually women are weaker, both in terms of muscle and other things like bone density, so it'd be much easier to knock a woman out, break her jaw etc, than a man. But that's on average. There are plenty of women, professional MMA fighters and such, who'd beat up the average man in a fight I know that. Self-defence is really just about doing what is necessary and no more, so if theres a girl trying to hit you, you could probably just grab her arms to stop her. Whilst if there's a female bodybuilder MMA fighter coming at you I'd have no problem whacking her in the head with a rock and kicking her in a bit to make sure she doesnt get back up :P Even if people complained and guys stepped in to "defend the woman".
    This

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.