The Student Room Group

TSR is a forum where males are more vocal, and abuse/sexism/arrogance is rewarded?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Don't forget the "If you don't go to Oxbridge you're a failure in life" repertoire.

Yeah, noticed this.
Original post by redferry
Yeah the original post hit the nail on the head. A lot of outspoken girls have left, its a toxic atmosphere for women and Muslims on this forum.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, even though I haven't been here long.

Really, how do you know that? A real shame if that's the case- surely the more people here, the more interesting?
I've met so many of these people in real life, as soon as they find out I'm Greek Orthodox they just go out of their way to prove that religion is outdated.

Fortunately there aren't really any at my school, they tend not to be at Catholic state schools in South London 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xoflower
lol especially black girls... I remember this place used to have at least 3 threads on why we are ugly.

:/ That's horrible. As if that idea isn't bandied around enough irl, to be confronted with it whilst sitting at your laptop/ computer too.

This is going to sound hypersensitive, but I hate the thought of younger user especially reading like that. Because this is studentroom, so any age student can use it, right? Even if you're confident, educated etc. it's just going to affect you.

Some of the stuff I've read on here has affected me, and I'm pretty well adjusted ha.
Original post by Josb
And the STEM supremacists.

Haha oh dear.
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous
All probably very true.

Did you read what I wrote? Because it's the total opposite to what you said.
Original post by constantino_chr
I've met so many of these people in real life, as soon as they find out I'm Greek Orthodox they just go out of their way to prove that religion is outdated.

Fortunately there aren't really any at my school, they tend not to be at Catholic state schools in South London 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, I mean you're not harming anyone! So live and let live? I mean, if you wanted to discuss it, then fine, but it seems like most 'discussions' are people going out of their way to make a point, often when that person hasn't asked for advice/ their opinion.

Maybe everyone comes on here pent up after a hard day at work/ school/ uni!
Original post by ilem
Just use the report function if you feel a post is offensive and inflammatory.

Yes that's true. I mean it's just unpleasant to see several threads and posts everyday which are slightly insulting to girls/women in the latest discussions box. I don't want to come here just to report everything, which is why I considered deactivating and leaving- but can't deactivate.
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
I've actually had posts removed because of those males you're describing, even though I did nothing but stand up for women and myself. It's extremely annoying and I don't quite know why it's happening. All I can assume is that the men on here aren't getting attention in real life, so seek it by being misogynistic and horrible, to be one of the 'lads' which they don't get in real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of male posters have received warnings at the hands of outspoken female posters also. Tyrion_Lannister had a habit of trawling back through the histories of posters who disagreed with her (usually on feminist issues) for things to report them for.
Original post by 41b
I've actually had posts removed because of females like you and OP, even though I did nothing but stand up for men and a decent society with morals. It's extremely annoying and I don't know why it's happening. So I'm going to come up with a guess that makes me feel good about myself. I can only assume that those women don't get any attention in real life, so seek it by being horrible misandric bullies, to feel like their lives mean something - a feeling they don't get in real life.

Stupid personal attacks are fun. :smile:

Well aren't you a bundle of fun :smile: I've never made personal attacks, never mind them being stupid. I never seek attention on here, I get plenty in real life, so don't need a forum filled with misogyny to get some. Guys like you don't ever stand up for a society filled with morals, you stand up for a society where women can't stand up for themselves because they'll be told they're stupid and their lives don't mean anything. Oh and let me just quote you here, because you've just done it to me:

Stupid personal attacks are fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tillytots
This place is full of guys who don't get attention in real life, so instead turn to the Internet. You only have to look at how many 'never had a girlfriend' threads are posted everyday to see that *eye roll*

A lot of people on here are alright though

Including people who have never had a girlfriend. Just because you have never had a girlfriend doesn't mean you are a misogynistic ****. Lets all make fun of the losers who have never had a girlfriend and laugh at them whilst we poke them with a stick. :rolleyes:

Some of the people the OP is talking about will have had girlfriends anyway... I'm pretty sure that Jamie guy was married with kids :/
(edited 9 years ago)
I think its because society is gradually becoming more progressive, those on the fringes are lashing out and are very active on the internet as its a place they can hide and be anonymous.

In real life, if you start spouting off views about how much you hate Muslims, gay people, women, other races, poor people etc then very quickly people are going to think you are a knob. Now these people like to paint themselves as bastions of free speech sometimes by saying you should have the right to say what you want and we live in a censored world etc but actually there aren't as many laws against this as they make out. A lot of the time when someone in the public eye is forced to apologise/resign because of saying something controversial on the lines above, it's not because of any threat of legal action, it's because they get public backlash from people exercising their own right to free speech.

The implication for all the people that have those racist/homophobic/misogynistic/anti-Islamic views is that they have soon learned they can't express them in real life to people around them because they will soon lose friends. Some of these people are completely obsessed by it - you can see on internet forums like this how they start multiple threads over and over again about the same issue (usually against Islam or feminism), it is something they think about all the time. Can you imagine hanging around someone that was always talking about Islam/feminism 24/7 you would just think they were the most boring/weird obsessed person ever. If they did it in real life they would soon have no friends and be seen as a loser.

So they get forced on to the internet where they can hide their true identity and talk about it and also thats where they will find the other people that think like them who can agree with them.

TSR is not unusual to be saturated with these type of people, it's what the internet is like. Look at youtube, any video that has a significant number of comments will soon turn in to an argument about race/slavery/Ku Klux Klan or Islam v the West. Also if you find any forum that caters for a niche interest (sport, a hobby etc) if they have an 'off topic' or 'politics' subforum it is like TSR, you get some obsessed posters posting continually about how much they hate Islam or how feminism is destroying society.

Now if you look at the internet as being representative of society you can get a view that disappoints you about society but it's actually the opposite situation - the people with these kind of aggressive views feel marginalised because most people today don't agree with them in the way that in the past they might have done so they resort to being more active online.
Really? Yeah maybe, it is always interesting to imagine what posters are like irl. Actually a bit worrying, like what if what of my close friends is actually like this on the internet? I mean I don't think so, but being on here has made me think.

Also I admire your courage to write your mind so to speak, even if it does get removed. I went anonymous because I just can't deal with it all the time.

I know what you mean, I found one of my old friends accounts on here and what I read was awful. Thank you though, it can be hard, all I've ever wanted to do is point out how some posts can seriously offend people and how what they say prevents women being seen as equal. I might just start posting anonymously, but even people who do that get attacked for not being 'brave' enough to out themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurboCretin
A lot of male posters have received warnings at the hands of outspoken female posters also. Tyrion_Lannister had a habit of trawling back through the histories of posters who disagreed with her (usually on feminist issues) for things to report them for.

I never said I agreed with what that person did because I don't. I also said that all I did was defend a sex that gets so much **** just for being born that sex. If I come across a post that I believe is being sexist or is preventing a view of equality, I'll say something. I never post things like that for the sake of it and I don't make it a goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have not seen many, if any, threads specifically attacking women *EXCEPT THE TROLL THREADS*.

If you're talking about the anti feminist brigade, then just note that being anti feminist doesn't mean being against women's equality. It means not accepting some wild theories about society. It's like how you can not be not a neoliberal but still not be a communist or a fascist. Read anti feminist opinions, and come to your conclusion on an evidence basis, rather than ignoring the arguments because you think they're attacks on women.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Yeah the original post hit the nail on the head. A lot of outspoken girls have left, its a toxic atmosphere for women and Muslims on this forum.

Then you woke up.
This is true for sure. You say it's "like" a mental illness, and in some cases it definitely is a mental illness. Smash Bandicoot freely admits it even as he posts absolutely bizarre things, and Foo.Mp3 has a thread where he encourages other people to aspire to higher scores in a narcissism test because that's what he got, which is about the most classically narcissistic idea you can have. So I think some level of empathy is needed with some people. It's super hard to have any kind of nuanced opinion on relationships/women without being called a beta male or a feminazi or whatever by at least one male poster. When it happens I always just think of the times I have been influenced by posts made by people who didn't know I was reading, so I still try to ignore insults and post some intelligent things regardless, because you never see the silent majority that is reading and probably has more rational opinions. Hopefully the women who contribute here can take the same view, because I know a lot of good posters who have left the forum because of this and that's a shame.
People are merely expressing their opinion, and I'm glad that this forum isn't completely Authoritarian. It's nice to see people being allowed to have discussions against feminism, against religion, about uni prestige etc. and if you get offended then I am very sorry but that is life :tongue:

Arguably if your posts are being rude and someone else's aren't then yeah that's an issue. But I have seen plenty of vocal men + women on here lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
I never said I agreed with what that person did because I don't. I also said that all I did was defend a sex that gets so much **** just for being born that sex. If I come across a post that I believe is being sexist or is preventing a view of equality, I'll say something. I never post things like that for the sake of it and I don't make it a goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I'm saying is that you're not alone in being censored for expressing your opinions on here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
They are always male, always white, usually heterosexual. It's almost like a mental illness a lot of them have. I say white because most people in UK are white, and most users are from UK, and many of them have photos of themselves. But not always white(!).

I would like to see the statistics for this part :smile:

Just sounds like someone's throwing a tantrum to me, I always find stress balls do the job well.

Also just one question, why include specifics about people being "always white" and then go on to contradict yourself by saying "not always white"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending