Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Considering dropping out of university watch

ReputationRep:
    1000% see support services or your tutor they honestly help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am quite shy and introverted and find it hard to make friends. I looked on the societies website for Bath and none of them interest me. I am a part of the CU there but I only have acquaintances not really friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Msaliamma)
    Hi I love my course at universiry. But I'm not close with my flatmates and feel very isolated and I don't have that many friends. I'm not sure whether or not to drop out because I feel very lonely and depressed and spend way too much time alone.
    Feeling isolated is the worst and I can totally see where you're coming from.

You haven't said that you hate the course or that you don't know if its for you which is GREAT. I really recommend trying to change rooms/halls by contacting the halls office.

Try spending time in the library. I know it sounds nerdy but a few weeks ago I was totally alone in my house and felt so bad. I was crying to my personal tutor. Spending time in the library helped because you're constantly surrounded by people and if you have a section of the library where you can talk, you'll make friends easily. Don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I already looked into moving rooms but the new one was like rubbish. So I have to stay, I go to the library quite a lot like 3 hours a day but still I dont want to go there all the time so I feel kind of bored in my room all the time.

(Original post by EloiseStar)
    Feeling isolated is the worst and I can totally see where you're coming from.

You haven't said that you hate the course or that you don't know if its for you which is GREAT. I really recommend trying to change rooms/halls by contacting the halls office.

Try spending time in the library. I know it sounds nerdy but a few weeks ago I was totally alone in my house and felt so bad. I was crying to my personal tutor. Spending time in the library helped because you're constantly surrounded by people and if you have a section of the library where you can talk, you'll make friends easily. Don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I already looked into moving rooms but the new one was like rubbish. So I have to stay, I go to the library quite a lot like 3 hours a day but still I dont want to go there all the time so I feel kind of bored in my room all the time.
    Have you made any friends in the library? Usually the same people will hang round there a lot. Typically 2/3 years but it wont stop you talking from them. I'd recommend spending more time in the library but if you don't have any work it can get pretty lonesome. I remember one of my semesters in first year I didn't really have any work to do until the end 3 weeks...

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of university last October. I realised that there weren't any sites actually dedicated to helping students and giving them advice on the subject. The student room is great of course, but I feel my first hand experience is quite valuable. If you feel like checking it out the url is droppingoutofuni.com . Let me know if you find it useful, like I said its new, so I will be adding quite a bit of content in the coming days.

Any criticism is welcome.

Cheers,

Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeydude19)
    I dropped out of university last October. I realised that there weren't any sites actually dedicated to helping students and giving them advice on the subject. The student room is great of course, but I feel my first hand experience is quite valuable. If you feel like checking it out the url is droppingoutofuni.com . Let me know if you find it useful, like I said its new, so I will be adding quite a bit of content in the coming days.

Any criticism is welcome.

Cheers,

Michael

There is not enough of this on the internet, I was up at 4'oclock every night trying to find someone in a similar position, and I just wanted an honest person's experience on the matter, some student's dont realise that its okay to leave uni if its not what you want, you dont have to feel trapped!
    so thankyouuu micheal.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly it! I really want to remove the stigma attached to the words "dropping out" as if it somehow conveys failure. It's sad really.

Thankyou so much for the support, feel free to subscribe and like the Facebook page, we need to get more people seeing this.

Have a pleasant evening,

Michael

ReputationRep:
    absolutely!
    i will do! I just wish i found the website earlier, could have saved me alot of stress haha!
    Thankyou, and yourself

ReputationRep:
    Hi I decided to leave because my accomodation situation is even mores awkward which I didn't think was possible than last semester. But I'm glad to be able to move on and put the last 4 months behind me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I love my course at universiry. But I'm not close with my flatmates and feel very isolated and I don't have that many friends. I'm not sure whether or not to drop out because I feel very lonely and depressed and spend way too much time alone.
    I wouldn't drop out because of that. Loving your course is way more important than loving your flatmates. Plus, flatmates won't always be potential friends; it's all down to luck I'm afraid. I know it's disappointing when you think living in halls will be so much fun and then you don't click with the people around you. It's really alienating, I know. You start noticing how some people are on an alarmingly different wavelength to you. It's a weird feeling and if you're a sensitive person, it can be a bit much sometimes. But there are literally hundreds of potential, like-minded friends you can make at university elsewhere, pretty much at any time if you join your university's society groups on Facebook, and take the initiative to go to events and get to know people through them.

I dunno what your flatmates are like but I lived with some right spoiled *******s in my first year, all of them privately educated (and one who was a fierce bully who openly hated me). I couldn't even relate to any of them and coming from an average school, it was freakin intimidating. I isolated myself a lot and had basically no social life in the first term. It was soul-destroying. In the end I just moved halls and I ended up having a much better time.

As I've said, you can make friends easily by joining societies. I know it's daunting at first, and unfortunately some societies are more crap than others in offering regular social/drinking events, but just try going to some, please. If if they're rubbish, try some others. It's never too late, and it's basically the best (and main) way of making actual friends. That's what I did and if anything, I now have too many friends/nights out drinking, despite not exactly being the biggest social butterfly either. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    You think I should stay then but my accomodation situation, the isolation is really badly affecting me. You think I should move halls or just quit??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't quit your uni because of this reason.If you like your course that's what matters most.You're there in uni to study mainly.So keep studying well, you may not have friends now but eventually you might have it later on.You'll learn to become more independent.I know it is so hard when you don't have any friends and being an introvert.Trust me, you feel like you're the only one who is in this situation but in truth I'm sure there are many students who are going though same situation in your course too.Everyone is going through some problems, you're not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I love my course at university. But I'm not close with my flatmates and feel very isolated and I don't have that many friends. I'm not sure whether or not to drop out because I feel very lonely and depressed and spend way too much time alone.
    Don't leave on the basis of loneliness, you could use skype/social media to talk to family

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.