Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The OFFICIAL list-a-single-advantage-of-multiculturalism thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Amazing food and people

ReputationRep:
    Me. I am a product of multiculturalism and proud. I am 100% awesome, in addition to being 50% Cypriot. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You keep going on about low-skilled immigrants but you are not mentioning where you are getting your information from. Are you just one of those bitter ones about polish immigration and decide to put all immigrants in the same bag? Also, don't know if you realise there are many british people living abroad whom are 'low-skilled, but that doesn't mean every brit is the same. Plus, immigration has existed since forever and I don't see how stopping immigration will improve anything, there is a big population of elderly whom the younger generations have to support and this will be the same for the next 20 years or so. Don't place the blame solely to the immigrants. In fact, don't blame the citizens who do their best to maintain a living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Pretty certain the cultural differences between Wales and Scotland aren't as large as Pakistan/Romania/Somalia and England......
    The cultural differences between Protestants and Catholics in Northern Ireland are similarly small, yet they've caused far more trouble than plenty of supposedly much wider cultural differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catholic_)
    That's not a benefit to the host culture. That's a benefit to other people. You need to re-read the question. Also, 'accepting' is subjunctive and rather patronizing.
    Actually it would be an advantage of multi culturalism if it was true. However I think it does the exact opposite; it increases racism.

ReputationRep:
    To me, multiculturalism conjures images of:
    -Ghettos in London
    -Gun crime
    -Knife crime
    -Pick-pocketing
    These existed before England became multicultural. If you mean that there is more of it now, I'd be more inclined to attribute that the doubling of global population in the past 60 years.

-Increasing the demand for housing
    -Increasing the demand for school places
    -Increasing the demand for hospitals
    This is because of an increase in population, not multiculturalism per se. This would have happened if there was an equal increase in population of people who are ethnically British.

-Anti-terror raids
    Terror attacks are caused by terrorists, not 'people of different cultures'. The Irish have a very similar culture to us, but it was not that long ago that the IRA were engaging in terrorist attacks. Stop confusing the two.

-10 people living in a shed in Slough,
    Wow, they must be really poor; the local housing system has really failed them. I fail to see what this has to do with multiculturalism though. 10 poor ethnically British people could find themselves in the same situation. This has nothing to do with multiculturalism, just poverty and lack of resources to help, which as I have already said can be attributed to population increases in recent decades.

-My local council offering every piece of literature in 20 different languages, good use of my council tax.
    Costs about a much as the Internet connection required to use Google Translate.

-Clinging to the bottom of lorries in France
    Illegal immigrants are a problem; I'll give you that one.

NB replies of "we lack certain skills" will be met with laughs. The majority of immigrants are low-skilled, doing jobs any British person could do.
    ...but that they don't do. Looking at the current immigration policy, permanent residence is only given to people that are skilled workers and professionals that can and will carry their weight in society. The government will work in the interests of the economy. Jobs require skilled workers; if you cannot recruit the workers at home due to lack of skills, or it is cheaper to give the work to foreigners, that is what has, and will be encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    all the intelligent posts that could have been mentioned have been noted so I'll be crude and say Indian and Latina girls are hot, no xenophobia for me then.

ReputationRep:
    Low-skilled immigrants earning min-wage and you think they improve trade and foreign investment?

Oh my the desperation.......
    Not all immigrants work low-wage jobs and not all Britons work high-wage jobs.

Way to read the entire post, btw.

ReputationRep:

-Ghettos in London
    -Anti-terror raids
    -10 people living in a shed in Slough,
    -Increasing the demand for housing
    -Increasing the demand for school places
    -Increasing the demand for hospitals
    -My local council offering every piece of literature in 20 different languages, good use of my council tax.
    -Gun crime
    -Knife crime
    -Pick-pocketing
    -Clinging to the bottom of lorries in France

So, does multiculturalism actually have any advantages?

NB replies of "we lack certain skills" will be met with laughs. The majority of immigrants are low-skilled, doing jobs any British person could do.

NB2 replies of "British people don't want to do those jobs" will be met with "then remove their benefits".

NB3 replies of "its great to experience different cultures" will be met with "thats what a gap year and holidays are for". You don't invite a Lion in your home if you're interested in wild animals- you visit a Zoo!
    Multiculturalism is good because if we all blend together into one race, it avoids things like nationalism which can lead to another Holocaust and also it contains many Holocaust deniers.

Blending together tends to reduce the number of Holocaust deniers. It's also good because it encourages One World Government / Shadow Government organisations like the United Nations.so we can save the world from Global Warming.

There is a further benefits, in that if we import exotic species then it means that there is less chance of people seeing Jewish people as different, therefore less chance of another Holocaust. Also George Galloway said that people who use zoo analogies in this debate are Nazis. Then there is a further argument that race is just a social construct. And a social construct that leads to the Holocaust. White people especially can't be trusted with this because of the Holocaust even though they are not white but just believe they are because of the social construct.

What would be better would be to adopt an ideology that makes everyone equal and deals with people who don't want everyone to be equal. We don't need to worry how it deals with these people because it's for the greater good. You would start with people who had bad thoughts in their head and attempt to reeducate them before attempting harsher measures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ttank)
    Multiculturalism is good because if we all blend together into one race, it avoids things like nationalism which can lead to another Holocaust and also it contains many Holocaust deniers.

Blending together tends to reduce the number of Holocaust deniers. It's also good because it encourages One World Government / Shadow Government organisations like the United Nations.so we can save the world from Global Warming.

There is a further benefits, in that if we import exotic species then it means that there is less chance of people seeing Jewish people as different, therefore less chance of another Holocaust. Also George Galloway said that people who use zoo analogies in this debate are Nazis. Then there is a further argument that race is just a social construct. And a social construct that leads to the Holocaust. White people especially can't be trusted with this because of the Holocaust even though they are not white but just believe they are because of the social construct.

What would be better would be to adopt an ideology that makes everyone equal and deals with people who don't want everyone to be equal. We don't need to worry how it deals with these people because it's for the greater good. You would start with people who had bad thoughts in their head and attempt to reeducate them before attempting harsher measures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    0/10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    0/10.
    How many marks out of 10 for articulating the subconscious construct which is the lens though many people view this issue as this is what eventually came out when discussing the issue in depth with a number of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't exist without it and I'm pretty ****ing awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotiger)
    Actually it would be an advantage of multi culturalism if it was true. However I think it does the exact opposite; it increases racism.
    I agree. Multiculturalism is a fraud.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than diversity, multiculturalism leads to homogenisation. Discuss.

It's like the second law of thermodynamics, really.

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism only benefits non European immigrants because they come from horrible , backwards societies

ReputationRep:
    I'd just get rid of the chavs/native working class people tbh. Where I work (in a kitchen) all the immigrants behave with far more dignity than the local 'Meaders'. Always been a shock to me how well educated some of them (esp. Indians) are.

ReputationRep:
    One advantage?

Cheap labour. Makes it much easier to run a more profitable business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ttank)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But people aren't equal.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    Not all immigrants work low-wage jobs and not all Britons work high-wage jobs.

Way to read the entire post, btw.
    Most earn min wage- so all those hundreds of thousands working in Costa Coffee, or picking strawberries are not representing Britain on the global stage.

Oh btw, we've been an international trading nation for hundreds of years- don't see why we suddenly need immigration to continue.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    ...but that they don't do. Looking at the current immigration policy, permanent residence is only given to people that are skilled workers and professionals that can and will carry their weight in society. The government will work in the interests of the economy. Jobs require skilled workers; if you cannot recruit the workers at home due to lack of skills, or it is cheaper to give the work to foreigners, that is what has, and will be encouraged.
    NO, you are referring to the current non-EU immigration policy........

I personally know Eastern European families of 20 who contribute nothing and have the rent on multiple houses (same family) paid for by the taxpayer. Its about £2,000 a month to house the family AND they have caused all sorts of social problems. So you have the cost of police etc etc- for what benefit? NOTHING.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.