Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I doing too much at the gym? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma picken)
    I just feel like I should be there that amount of time.
    I think you just need to remember that more often than not, quality is better than quantity.

I would try switching it up a little. Even if you just amp up the difficulty (say on the bike, or a faster running speed) and do it for a shorter amount of time once a week.

ReputationRep:
    I go almost every day for 2 hours and function perfectly well....

ReputationRep:
    Don't you find it boring spending 2 hours inside on a running/bike machine? Talk about dull.

I like cycling but I prefer to do it around lakes, up and down mountains and through forests. Same with running.

ReputationRep:
    No not really. Normally I listen to music or watch tv on the treadmill

ReputationRep:
    i wish i had that problem..

ReputationRep:
    too much is when you damage yourself, or it impacts your other activities.

ReputationRep:
    that said, i find it boring, the gym that is. i do yoga, or run, everyday.

ReputationRep:
    So recently I joined the gym. I'm not that big but still want to loose some weight and get fitter. Over the past two weeks I've been going 4 times a week for 2 hours. Some friends and family have said I'm doing too much. Is this true or not? I love the gym I would go everyday if I could but I know I need to rest. Help?
    You kind of answered your own question below. Your clearly at a very good level of fitness so as long as your not on a stupid 1000 calorie diet (exercise can cause muscle loss if you don't eat enough) then you'll be fine.

Carry on and perhaps avoid consecutive days to recover.

Yeah normally I do 45 mins on the treadmill, 40 mins on the cross trainer then 35 on the bike. Yeah normally I go to sleep reasonable

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so. You're giving your body 3 days rest which is more than sufficient to keep yourself injury free.

The only person who can say if it's too much is you. If you're struggling with lengthy 2 hour sessions 4 times a week and feel like you aren't recovered even after the rest days, then that's an indicator that you're giving your body too much than it can handle. However, if you feel great then keeping going for it girl! The key advice is to listen to your body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    You're doing cardio. You could do an hour a day and it won't be "too much" so long as you're eating properly.

I would not suggest doing weights for 2hours 4 times a week though, you'de be a mess and constantly sore...
    4x2 hour lifting sessions would make you sore... For the first week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal to reason)
    4x2 hour lifting sessions would make you sore... For the first week.
    Not working hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Not working hard enough.
    Yeah. Okay then.
    Squatted 23 reps at 100kg in a single set yesterday. No DOMS today. Why you mad bro?

Its all about frequency. If you hit something 2/3+ times a week you're not going to get DOMS after a while. If I were to take a week off, my first session or 2 back I'd be sore the next day, but after that I wouldn't get any.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.