Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you use acronyms to remember 12 mark essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilpesh98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Google how to memorise psychology essays and a post i made on Loopa should come up explaining this method! Its a combination of chunking and acronyms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Saj!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving psych at the moment its my favourite subject and I intend to do it at Uni. I was wondering if you guys got to do it at GCSE because when I did it at GCSE it was the first time they ever introduced it at our school which I thought was odd.

Also how are you guys revising for psych for AS, want to find new ways to revise.
    Thanks!

Another way to revise would probably look a the mark schemes and see what the examiner would want.
    I have learnt from my mocks that I do know the content but just need to learn application. Especially AO2 on the 12 markers!!

ReputationRep:
    i like psychology but my grades keep fluctuating from d to high c/b....

ReputationRep:
    I need help with psych too - I did my mocks in December and got a D . The teacher said my problem was whilst I had the knowledge, my exam technique wasn't that great. Any ideas on how to improve? Especially with the 12 markers!

I'm doing AS by the way

ReputationRep:
    the 6/8/12 markers can be made quite simple if, for ao2 you just remember a few generalised statements that can be applied to many different questions. you can always pick faults or find something good about sample size, where the experiment took place: lab high control, cause effect established, low ecological validity etc and sample type like if they were all med students are all men. finding good generic statements you can bend to your will will really help you get those extra marks

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone does anyone have tips on revision and how to to apply the 12 mark questions ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm taking the exam in the summer too.
    I was meant to be using this week (week off school) as a week to revise for everything, but Psychology is the one subject I've really neglected this week
    You guys all seemed to do well in the mock, I got a C which was really disappointing considering I revised for so long. But I think my exam technique sucks, I'm going to start going over past papers asap. I guess mocks are there to learn from anyway haha!
    What does everyone struggle with the most?

(Original post by KateClarke)
    I'm loving psych at the moment its my favourite subject and I intend to do it at Uni. I was wondering if you guys got to do it at GCSE because when I did it at GCSE it was the first time they ever introduced it at our school which I thought was odd.
    My school only has AS and A2 psychology, no GCSE. I asked them the reason for this and they said that to study psychology at alevel you need to be mature, and the topics covered in GCSE are not relevant to A-levels. Not sure if this is true or not.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm currently doing A2 psychology but i'm resitting both form last year (I didn't do too badly I got C in both) the best thing to do is to learn studies that the spec says you need and technique. loads of people who took it with me last year only learnt what the teacher says but its worth writing out like 2 studies for each part of the spec where it says you need research just in case. I did loads of mind maps last year which really makes it simple but just make sure you have enough info which is where I messed up

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm studying this and I love it, I got a high A in my mock ☺️

What I do is bullet point everything (apart from 12 markers). Bullet points allow you to get straight to the point and avoid waffle.

For 'outline and evaluate research' questions, I do the APFC for a study (Aims, procedures, findings and conclusions) then do a separate paragraph stating two/three criticisms and one/two good points (if any) about what it shows.

For 12 markers, make it clear when you are evaluating. Start the paragraph with an opening sentence that displays this concisely e.g. 'There are many research studies that prove and disprove this theory'.
    Also, separate the 12 mark into AO1 and AO2 instead of integrating them together. It makes it clearer to the examiner where to mark you on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliyah_rose)
    Hey! Good idea to start this thread . My class has finished the stress topic in Unit 2 and we have recently stated on social (social norm, conformity etc.) At the moment it's going okay. I still prefer unit 1 though . I feel down hearted because my mock results were horrible- seeing how I want to do Psychology in University (I got a very low C- one mark into the c grade to be exact). Yesterday was Year 12 Parents Evening and that wasn't the best :0 Practically my psychology teacher said that I should prove her wrong and surprise her with a high grade and that is what I intend on doing.

How is everyone revising Psychology? And finding Unit 2?
    Don't worry about the C, I got the same and was hoping for higher! I like to see it as an opportunity to work harder and try and achieve a top grade in the real exam! It's good for motivation I find! Good luck with the studying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilpesh98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't tend to memorise essays, I usually write the notes I'm going to use in the essay and memorise those. It means you only have to remember the key points and not the extra bits that goes in between.

ReputationRep:
    Have my unit 1 mock this Tuesday, I feel I know none of the research studies for cognitive and developmental, I think we're doing the june 2014 paper. Any tips on what studies and key topics to focus on?

ReputationRep:
    how's everyone finding things? personally i'm struggling on how to answer "critically assess" questions, does anyone have any help on this? I'm doing WJEC btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noey123)
    Am so scared i really don't know where to start for revision any advice would be really helpful
    My advice is to start with the topics that you really hate and get them out of the way. Or, start with topics that you covered at the beginning of the course because if you start with the most recent ones, you might have almost forgotten them when you come to revise them. I find it's best to revise things when you haven't completely forgotten them but when they're not very fresh in your mind either. I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameslovis)
    Have my unit 1 mock this Tuesday, I feel I know none of the research studies for cognitive and developmental, I think we're doing the june 2014 paper. Any tips on what studies and key topics to focus on?
    Try condensing some of the studies down into really brief notes, that's what I did and it really helps! Also, when you're writing about studies in the exam, don't write every tiny detail of the method, just give an outline. It's what the study shows that's important and try to remember the psychologist's names even if you can't remember the date of the study because it will show the examiner that you definitely know what you're talking about!

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    For 12 mark questions, I break it down into the method and then the findings. Afterwards, I learn the evaluation, I find that by doing this, I am rehearsing the information repeatedly. I do this before I do any practice questions. I then sit a do a paper, I always plan my answer out with what I know, write my essay and then see if I missed anything out. I then figure out what it is I need to memorise more.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.