Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I usually have things like chilli con carne, spagbol and other forms of pasta, jacket potatoes, moussaka, wedges, toad in the hole, soup, breaded chicken, egg fried rice, sushi etc. I prepare all of them rather than buying any preprepared foodstuffs and it doesn't take that long (especially considering some things can be made in bulk and frozen).
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I've just graduated but I eat the same things I did at uni: Thai curry, pasta bake, risotto, Mac and cheese, egg fried rive, veggie sushi, frittatas, homemade burgers wrapped in bacon ( :sogood: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey.Slayer)
    why would you choose to eat confectionary snacks, over something more palatable and filling.:confused:
    I've flu and have reduced appetite/messed up timings :sick:

Surely you would get an upset stomach from all that.:yucky:
    It's already upset, so I figure a little comfort food can't hurt :dontknow:

(Original post by Dr. Oxford)
    May I ask what you usually cook for dinner?
    Low carb e.g. broccoli / chick peas + roast chicken (usually cold, out of fridge). My system is a little sensitive as I have ME/CFS, hence the slightly bizarre standard dinner (minimises sleep disturbance). For meals earlier in the day I'll tend to have things like microwaved jacket spuds with the chicken, or a chicken mayo sammich (wheat free bread), or occasionally cook a home made chicken curry that will last for days, tubbed up, in the fridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Oxford)
    x
    I'm not a student yet, but I suspect that my diet will consist of one of my own inventions: couscous, cheese and fried (or poached, if you can be bothered) egg.
    - 50g couscous (2oz is close enough)
    - however much cheese you want
    - one egg

I mix the cheese with the couscous, pour in a bit less than 100ml water, then microwave that for roughly a minute while I'm frying the egg. Put the egg in the bowl, mix everything up, put more cheese on if you want, and microwave again. Season to taste.

Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    While I was at uni, over the course of an average week I'd probably eat pasta (with sauce and cheese and sometimes with mince or chicken), noodles (with sauce and meat/vegetables), pizza/ready meal/something I could just shove in the oven/chips, curry, jacket potato, something on toast/soup. I would probably get a takeaway or eat out once a fortnight to once a month. Also, if I ate out at lunchtime, I'd usually only have a light evening meal like a salad or a sandwich. Sometimes I'd have tortillas/enchiladas, or make a pie for a bit of variety.

I'm not a massive fan of cooking, so if I was going to the trouble of making something more complicated, I'd rather make a cake/pudding.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It really depends on the state of the kitchen. My diet can go from awesome to absolute **** in under a week. If the frying pans and saucepans are all dirty then I'll chuck something in the oven.

If it's all clean then I'll make about 4 meals to freeze. :yes: So that when it gets bad I still have the occasional decent meal.

Soup, noodles, bbq chicken, jacket potatoes, pizzas, chips, chicken goujons, lasagne - anything that tickles my fancy I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Noodles- that student life uno

ReputationRep:
    chilli... get a slow cooker, really easy to just throw some stuff in and make a really nice meal, sweet potato curry, risotto

ReputationRep:
    I often make curry. It works out really cheap for me, because, since I bought a 5 kg bag a couple of months ago (for £5), I never have to pay for rice. You can make a pretty nice thai one with nothing more than some onion, limes, ginger, garlic, chillies, lemongrass if you can find it, and coconut milk.

Otherwise I just fry a piece of fish or meat and make some chips in the oven :dontknow: Or if I'm feeling particularly healthy just make more rice and add soy sauce. One thing in particular I do is put pesto with salmon. I don't know if that's generally recognised as a thing or not but it works really well.

ReputationRep:
    Tuna and salad. Tastes alright and is healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Macoroni cheese. Cook macaron. Make a white sauce (butter - melt it. Put in 1 - 2 table spoons of plain flour. Stir in milk gradually to pan until you end up with creamy sauce. Grate cheese. Put cheese in sauce. Put macaroni in and mix. Stick in over for 20 mins.

You can also do this with partially cooked cauliflour plus some chopped up bacon. Put a bit of english mustard in too.

Soup. Chop carrot. Chop onion. Chop one stick celery. Put oil in a pan and fry veg for 7 mins ish. Put about a litre of stock made with stock cube into pan then put in whatever it is you want to make the soup out of ie cooked potato and cooked leek - or oven-roasted tomatoes or oven -roasted red peppers or both. Or frozen pea and mint and ham. Add herbs.

Learn to do a roast chicken. You can then make two more meals out of this. It is not hard!

ReputationRep:
    What I've cooked over the last couple of weeks:
    Pasta
    Pasta bake
    Thai green curry
    Thai pork and ginger
    Kung po chicken
    Fajitas
    Curry
    Pizza
    Sausages

Although over exam period I think I had pasta about 5 days in a row at one point

ReputationRep:
    I remember being fresh faced and up for it like you were. Now I'm in second year, and have accepted that my student lifestyle takes priority over health and vegetables.

I usually eat chicken (you can buy it already diced in sainsburys and most supermarkets) and put a sauce with it. Nandos sauce is great, thoroughly recommend it. Chicken tonight sauces, tried them all, the honey and mustard one is the best but they are all good. Blue dragon stir fry sauces, (the ones in the sachets I think its blue dragon) are great. They all just rock (ginger and spring onion or oyster are glorious). BBQ sauce on chicken is great. Then you can combine these with microwavable tilda rice which is ALWAYS on offer somewhere, for an insanely easy meal. For easy greenery buy a packet of 1 pound pre washed salad. Use it for two meals. (consecutive days)

Beef - diced beef steaks work best and aren't too pricey, work with black bean sauce or ginger and spring onion. Or just put black pepper on it. Add fine egg noodles (Sharwoods dried are the best, they last indefinitely too)

Mince - spaghetti bolognaise or chilli con carne. Buy the jars of it made by uncle bens for chilli, for spam bol its dolmio with extra mushroom for me, but if you dont like it then just skip it and get extra garlic or extra basil. Add to five minute spaghetti (sainsburys) for a very very easy meal. Side of garlic bread = beautiful. (Buy it pre made and put it in the oven)

Salad and salad dressings. SALAD GOES WITH EVERYTHING. ITS AN EASY WAY OF GETTING MUCH NEEDED NUTRIENTS. Combine with your favourite newmans own dressing, they are all really good. (Caesar for italian stuff, french for everything else. Skip the balsamic, I love balsamic vinegar and even I found it vile)

Moving swiftly onto fish - salmon is the go to. Its cheap and piss easy to cook. Fry it, or bake it, whatever you like, most people will bake but I prefer the crispy outside so I always fry it. Add black pepper and sea salt to it whilst frying or baking. Most herbs go with salmon, ginger and spring onion, lemon, (Again the sachet sauces from blue dragon are usable here) (avoid sweet and sour or black bean or oyster sauce though). For the carb, add your sharwoods egg noodles which cook in like 4 minutes... to the water add soy sauce, ginger, lime, lemon juice, chilli whatever floats your boat. A good set of spices can't go wrong, add whatever and experiment. I found out i liked ginger best - hence i use it in like everything chinesey hah. You might prefer paprika or something else. Chilli works with everything too!

Or, you can have rice (tilda microwave in the bag works well) or any old rice. If you want greenery, to your noodles add a stir fry kit (ready made). Lasts for a few meals as you get so much in the pot. The oriental style sainsburys one is best for sainsburys but they're all much of a much in all supermarkets. Or just add salad.

Obviously, if you want gammon or pork or lamb, buy it, buy some microwaveable new potatoes or oven roast potatoes, get some bisto gravy and apple / mint sauce, bam your sorted for a a quick meal.

Other recommendations : YOUNGS FROZEN SCAMPI AND OVEN CHIPS WITH BIRDS EYE MICROWAVABLE VEGETABLES. GOOD OPTION.

Birds eye frozen chicken breasts in batter(any of the flavours are great, plain battered or chilli or garlic and herb are the best imo), combine with chips and above frozen vegetables for easy success. Salad also applicable here. (with dressing)

Honestly, the firm staples you want, is sharwoods fine (or medium but i pref fine) egg noodles, some paste / spaghetti, some rice (normal or tilda, i prefer tilda microwavable as it requires less scraping rice off the inside of a saucepan), and some frozen chips.

With these, you can literally find a combination with anything. Diced beef? Noodles. Mince? Spaghetti. Chicken? Chips / noodles / rice. Scampi - chips. Any fish? Noodles / rice.

Edit: I dont cook sausages, but my flatmate always makes sausage and pasta.

ReputationRep:
    Piping hot baked beans straight out of the microwave on mildly warm toast. I put the beans in a bowl since I scoff down the toast so quickly.

Or parts of a large bowl of pasta that lasts a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Brown rice, eggs, chicken breast, avocado and tofu.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Chilli con carne, spag bol, chicken pasta. Those are all easy to make, tasty and filling.

Soups are great, because they're so easy to cook and you get several portions out of them. Leek and potato soup, lentil and tomato soup, chicken soup, pea and ham soup.

I also buy pizza bases and then add whatever I like to them. 20-25 minutes in the oven, and done.

Salads are great as well. If I want it to be more filling, I add some boiled potatoes to it (and then let it cool down, of course).

Roasts take a bit more time, but really, the meat just takes turning over every now and then. Boil some veg and some potatoes, make mash, make some gravy (especially tasty if you placed the meat on a bed of, for example, onion, carrot, garlic and chillies and then use that as a base).

Stew is simple as well and you can use any leftover veg in it. Apart from frying the onions and meat, it's just a case of putting everything in the pot, adding a tin of tomatoes, adding some water, a stock cube, herbs and spices, and letting it do its thing (just stir it once in a while).

ReputationRep:
    For dinner....

Usually a rotation of home made batch cooked chilli or chicken tikka masala. As well as have meatballs, chicken fillets (Birdseye ones), soup, fish pie, lasagne, egg noodles with szechuan paste occasion. If Fray Bentos pies are on offer then some of those will end up in my cupboard.

This semester I'm trying to eat more healthily so more vegetables (going to load them into my chilli), might make my own lasagne too.

ReputationRep:
    I made a chickpea and spinach curry towards the beginning of the year, and froze most of it to reheat later. I'd have this with pilau rice (schwartz make a really easy pilau rice seasoning which you just put in the water with your rice!). Then I used the rest of the curry paste as a marinade for chicken thighs/drumsticks which I roasted with vegetables (red onion goes especially well).

When I found beef shin on sale I made boeuf bourguignon (http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/m...urguignon.html). I left out the bacon because I didn't have any and just used onions rather than shallots - it's a lot easier than it sounds, and it tastes amazing. It just takes quite a long time to cook, but you don't have to stand over it the whole time.

One of my favourite things to make is smoked mackerel fish cakes. Mash potatoes with a bit of milk, butter, salt and pepper, mix in as many steamed vegetables (e.g. broccoli and cabbage) as you can manage and then mix in flaked smoked mackerel (watch out for bones, especially with the cheap stuff!). Shape this mixture into cakes and coat in flour, then fry in a small amount of oil until golden brown. Honestly, they're a bit mushy but they taste really nice! It probably works with any type of fish but smoked mackerel is particularly good because of the strong flavour.

If I have rice the night before I usually make twice the amount and save some for the next day. Then I make fried rice! Stir fry some vegetables with soy sauce until cooked. Then add the rice and stir fry for a bit longer. Then, push the mixture to the sides of the pan and pour a beaten egg into the centre, agitating it until it scrambles a bit, before mixing it in with the rest of the rice/vegetables.

I also like to get mackerel fillets from the fish counter, which are pretty cheap (who can afford salmon?). At sainsburys at least, they'll include a herb butter and give it to you in a cooking bag, which you just pop in the oven. It's so easy!

ReputationRep:
    Eggs and potatoes are always good to have - you can do so much with them!
    Plus tinned stuff for the cupboards like beans, tinned curries etc that are cheap and still don't taste too bad (don't get the tinned meatballs though they are gross)
    Pasta and chicken nuggets are always good.
    Also getting some stuff for the freezer like pies or fishcakes that will last you a while and you can have with veg/beans.

ReputationRep:
    If you want quick, easy and healthy then you can't go wrong with the M&S 'balanced for you' ready meals. They're slightly pricey at 2 for £7 or 3 for £10 but if you think about it.. 6 yummy, healthy dinners that you only have to put in the microwave for 5 or so minutes for £20 is pretty good really.

Something slightly unusual that I like to cook which works out cheap is spicy sausage bolognese. I buy the tesco healthy living sausages because they're very low fat and really yummy and I cook them in the oven until they're starting to burn slightly before cutting them into 1-2cm slices. While I'm cutting them I'm also cooking any veg I want (I usually just add frozen peppers but you could add onion, mushroom, sweetcorn etc) and then heating up a large jar of bolognese sauce like dolmio or ragu for about 5 minutes. I stir in a bit of encona hot pepper sauce to make it spicy (be careful because too much of this can ruin a dish!), the vegetables and cut up sausages then get added and it's served with spaghetti

I always have the hot pepper sauce in my cupboard so this is how it works out.

2 packs of 8 healthy living Cumberland sausages from tesco - £3.50

Spaghetti - 50p-£1

Frozen peppers - £1

2 big jars of bolognese sauce - £2

That works out at around £7 for 4 big dinners or 3 smallish ones. It's not massively healthy but you can add loads of veg to it and if you use the sausages I suggested then it's quite low fat.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.