Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I wear the hijab and everyone on the tube stares at me :/ Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    No, it doesn't help.

In fact, it doesn't make the slightest difference.
    Yeaah. Man, i really need to control the paranoia in my head. I know in reality nobody gives a care in the world but the 'muslim' terrorists on the news everyday makes me think people become wary of girls in muslim clothing

ReputationRep:
    Can you think of any reason why people might feel you are a threat? If not, then it's just a feeling.

In London there are a lot of people just visiting, who aren't used to seeing people who wear the hijab, and it's actually fairly instinctive to look at someone dressed unusually (try wearing an eye-patch for a day or two!) for just a tiny bit longer than you might usually look at people. People shouldn't stare, that's rude (ignore them!), but it's not surprising if they look, it's probably just curiosity, not because people are threatened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheshiremum)
    Can you think of any reason why people might feel you are a threat? If not, then it's just a feeling.

In London there are a lot of people just visiting, who aren't used to seeing people who wear the hijab, and it's actually fairly instinctive to look at someone dressed unusually (try wearing an eye-patch for a day or two!) for just a tiny bit longer than you might usually look at people. People shouldn't stare, that's rude (ignore them!), but it's not surprising if they look, it's probably just curiosity, not because people are threatened.
    Yeah thanks
    Its just that the media creates such a bad impression of islam that i feel like they may paint all of us with the same brush and see me as a threat. Its probably just my head though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyGirl101)
    Yeaah. Man, i really need to control the paranoia in my head. I know in reality nobody gives a care in the world but the 'muslim' terrorists on the news everyday makes me think people become wary of girls in muslim clothing
    Most people aren't stupid enough to extrapolate the occasional terrorist threat on a religion-wide scale. The ones who are would be so bitter they aren't worth worrying about anyway.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Yeh, we get it.

You don't like foreigners blah blah blah.

You don't need to make **** up about people caring about the hjab
    Where did I mention foreigners blah blah blah? No you don't get it presumptuous ****.

ReputationRep:
    One time i was on thee tube at oxford circus and some Chinese women got on the train and she was wearing a cover over her mouth and the whole tube was just starring at her lmao.

I was like in my head "this ain't Beijing, no deathly pollution smog down here".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    As an experiment, why don't you go out one day dressed in a fairly conservative western style - trousers, sensible shoes, no make up, coat - and compare the reactions with and without the hijab.

I will bet anything you go completely unnoticed.

The dilemma is that in the west, hijabs are very unusual and Islam has attracted a lot of media attention so people are going to stare. It's only natural.

Does not mean they think you are a threat, but it does make you different in the same way that say someone dressing outrageously to deliberately attract attention does.

Wearing western clothes will actually give you the protection from unwanted attention that the hijab ironically attracts.
    Hahahaha, this really made me laugh. What is the point of wearing a scarf if you are going to take it off on occassions; it doesn't matter if it is only for an 'experiment'. Before making the decision to wear a hijab you must be committed and thus no matter how many 'stares' you get from others it really does not matter. "Wearing western clothes will actually give you the protection from unwanted attention that the hijab ironically attracts". Seriously? Do you have such low confidence that you would actually stop practising your religion because of the reactions you are getting from society? Goodness, I really do pity you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Do you have such low confidence that you would actually stop practising your religion because of the reactions you are getting from society? Goodness, I really do pity you.
    Your pity is wasted my friend, I'm not Muslim.

Pity, used in your context, implies superiority and exclusivity reserved for Muslim club members only.

You need to look closer to home and shower it on the people who are suckered in by the rules and superstitions concocted by sexually repressed 7th century Arab men.

Now run along and find a nice virgin to own - mummy and daddy are waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Most people aren't stupid enough to extrapolate the occasional terrorist threat on a religion-wide scale. The ones who are would be so bitter they aren't worth worrying about anyway.
    True
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Your pity is wasted my friend, I'm not Muslim.

Pity, used in your context, implies superiority and exclusivity reserved for Muslim club members only.

You need to look closer to home and shower it on the people who are suckered in by the rules and superstitions concocted by sexually repressed 7th century Arab men.

Now run along and find a nice virgin to own - mummy and daddy are waiting.
    I am not going to waste time on you, dear friend. Half of what you are saying is irrelevant. Just bear this in mind, but you are not required to be muslim to have low confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I mention foreigners blah blah blah? No you don't get it presumptuous ****.
    I know you didn't mention them. That is why I said "Yeh, we get it".

The Hjab is not "highly unusual" in London. You won't spend an hour in London without seeing one.

So either you have an agenda so you can spout some nonsense about Islam or you are a liar and don't live in London.

Take your pick.

ReputationRep:
    I live in london and everytime im on the tube to work/school (in the mornings and evenings when i leave), I feel like the people on the train (who are mostly white) stare at me and even feel like maybe they think i'm a threat to them :/ idk if im being paranoid but do other muslim girls (who wear hijab) feel like this?
    I guess i just feel uneasy and the odd one out. I live in a multi-cultural area so as soon as im in my local area, i feel automatically at ease
    its fine sister, London is multi cultural. They do not think you are a threat.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a hijab, travel around london often and all i get is smiles from strangers. Its all in your head and you just think people are like that towards you. don't think too much into it ! If people are giving evils just smile at them and walk off. who cares if they stare at you !

ReputationRep:
    Maybe some people care that you wear it, maybe some people have opinions on the Hijab, but opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has them. So just ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all!
    (Original post by perfezione)
    I wear a hijab, travel around london often and all i get is smiles from strangers. Its all in your head and you just think people are like that towards you. don't think too much into it ! If people are giving evils just smile at them and walk off. who cares if they stare at you !

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Maybe some people care that you wear it, maybe some people have opinions on the Hijab, but opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has them. So just ignore it.

(Original post by freedom)
    its fine sister, London is multi cultural. They do not think you are a threat.

ReputationRep:
    You poor thing, I hope you're going to be alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LTG)
    You poor thing, I hope you're going to be alright.
    Sarcasm?

ReputationRep:
    I live in london and everytime im on the tube to work/school (in the mornings and evenings when i leave), I feel like the people on the train (who are mostly white) stare at me and even feel like maybe they think i'm a threat to them :/ idk if im being paranoid but do other muslim girls (who wear hijab) feel like this?
    I guess i just feel uneasy and the odd one out. I live in a multi-cultural area so as soon as im in my local area, i feel automatically at ease
    They're not hurting you, just let them be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    I dunno I mean I remember Anders Breivik and I don't stare at white men
    He wasn't in London, where as the bombing were.

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm?
    No, I am genuinely worried for your safety.

Please stay safe sister.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.