31.75%
    Rock 'real music' fans
    14.29%
    Other (please state)
    13.49%

ReputationRep:
    Rah and Sloane hipster farts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the closest I've come to snobby judgement is reverse snobbery. I have been called a snob out of the blue just because I don't drink or smoke, because I don't know how to use slang, or simply because I'm not interested in what they're interested in, or what they regard as "normal" non-snobby things to be interested in. I don't wear any brand names or anything trendy so I don't know if that contributes or not. I don't know what a lot of rich people wear.

It's unjustified because I treat everybody with respect and don't think myself better than anybody over such superficial things (if anything my sense of self-worth could use a boost sometimes) and I certainly don't regard a person's worth by how much they earn, far from it. Not only that but their assumption that I'm rich is completely wrong (complete opposite, if things get worse we'll be pawning what little we have), as it's often assumed by these reverse snobs that being rich is inherently a bad thing.

It just seems that calling someone a snob before even getting to know them or sometimes even before meeting them for the first time is kind of, well, snobbish in itself.

ReputationRep:
    What is a rah? Can someone enlighten me. Seen this term used quite a bit on here.

EDIT - Doesn't matter, Google is my friend. I get it.
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Powpowpowpowpow)
    I'd say the closest I've come to snobby judgement is reverse snobbery. I have been called a snob out of the blue just because I don't drink or smoke, because I don't know how to use slang, or simply because I'm not interested in what they're interested in, or what they regard as "normal" non-snobby things to be interested in. I don't wear any brand names or anything trendy so I don't know if that contributes or not. I don't know what a lot of rich people wear.

It's unjustified because I treat everybody with respect and don't think myself better than anybody over such superficial things (if anything my sense of self-worth could use a boost sometimes) and I certainly don't regard a person's worth by how much they earn, far from it. Not only that but their assumption that I'm rich is completely wrong (complete opposite, if things get worse we'll be pawning what little we have), as it's often assumed by these reverse snobs that being rich is inherently a bad thing.

It just seems that calling someone a snob before even getting to know them or sometimes even before meeting them for the first time is kind of, well, snobbish in itself.
    I repped you for this. The complete same has happened to me.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    PC 'master race' gamers?
    Yeah but their snobbishness is justified to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who preaches to people over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Health nuts, particularly those paleo freaks.

Seriously, eat some ****ing chocolate cake.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Yeah but their snobbishness is justified to be honest.
    Not really. 'I can afford something marginally better' is a very annoying kind of snobbishness.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Not really. 'I can afford something marginally better' is a very annoying kind of snobbishness.
    I don't really think you understand their culture then. It's not about getting the flashiest PC in the world. It's about the fact that PCs are pretty much objectively better in every way, shape and form. They're definitely not more expensive - you can buy a gaming PC that surpasses the speed of a current generation console for less. Add that to the fact that PC games are much cheaper than consoles and PCs are quite significantly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Vegans, methinks. Excuse moi, I find your omelette offensive, please keep it out of my general vicinity. Merci :pierre:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't really think you understand their culture then. It's not about getting the flashiest PC in the world. It's about the fact that PCs are pretty much objectively better in every way, shape and form. They're definitely not more expensive - you can buy a gaming PC that surpasses the speed of a current generation console for less. Add that to the fact that PC games are much cheaper than consoles and PCs are quite significantly cheaper.

I have no idea where you got that from - it would pretty much make consoles obsolete if it was true. No one I know has a gaming PC cheaper than a console nor have I ever heard of one. Maybe a lot of corner cutting could get you a custom PC kinda-sorta close of to console price. Maybe.

I don't think being able to by the latest COD cheaper entitles one to act like some people act.

Even if you'd argue to the death that PC is better (I disagree) then don't you also believe that gym-goers are fitter, vegetarians/vegans are morally superior (I don't even know why they're listed tbh - I've never met a snobbish vegetarian), 'health nuts' are healthier or that rock music is better? I don't see why PC gamers' snobbishness especially justified.

Do you play on PC? Do you consider yourself a member of the 'master race'?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I have no idea where you got that from - it would pretty much make consoles obsolete if it was true. No one I know has a gaming PC cheaper than a console nor have I ever heard of one. Maybe a lot of corner cutting could get you a custom PC kinda-sorta close of to console price. Maybe.

I don't think being able to by the latest COD cheaper entitles one to act like some people act.

Even if you'd argue to the death that PC is better (I disagree) then don't you also believe that gym-goers are fitter, vegetarians/vegans are morally superior (I don't even know why they're listed tbh - I've never met a snobbish vegetarian), 'health nuts' are healthier or that rock music is better? I don't see why PC gamers' snobbishness especially justified.

Do you play on PC? Do you consider yourself a member of the 'master race'?
    I got that idea from the fact that it's true. There's a huge amount of ignorance about PC gaming, largely because people's experiences of PCs is generally the kind of stock trash you get from large manufacturers like Dell. This here, for instance, is quite a bit cheaper than a brand new xbox one and it has a much higher level of performance. On top of the fact that most people don't even realise you can get cheap gaming PCs, people seem to think that building a PC is difficult or technical when it really isn't in the slightest.

PC snobbishness is justified, in my view, because people who think consoles are better generally use arguments that aren't true. The only reason I can think of for getting a console over a PC is exclusives. PCs are simply better in every other way. There are plenty of genuine reasons why people wouldn't want to be fitness nuts or vegetarians or vegans or health nuts or rock music fanatics, but most of the arguments console gamers use are just not valid.

I'm not a person to go around yelling about a PC Master Race but I do think PCs are a much better gaming platform than consoles.

ReputationRep:
    Meat eaters

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Further Mathematicians (of which I am one and appreciate the other fields out there, but many in my class automatically assume they are the most "intelligent" in the year even though many could have done the subject but dropped it to focus on other demanding subjects)

ReputationRep:
    i heard the young fogeys are pretty bad

ReputationRep:
    I voted other. Because you forgot the most snobby creatures in all of creation..... Upper middle class mothers. -_- I mean seriously, they're all such social climbers that anything remotely "common" is just outrageous or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Geeks.

And it's made even worse by the fact they like to go round bleating on about how inclusive and open they are. It's all *******s. 'Geek culture' is a quagmire of judgmental, rude, racist and sexist arsewipes.
    :rofl2::rofl3: you have made my day thank you
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I got that idea from the fact that it's true. There's a huge amount of ignorance about PC gaming, largely because people's experiences of PCs is generally the kind of stock trash you get from large manufacturers like Dell. This here, for instance, is quite a bit cheaper than a brand new xbox one and it has a much higher level of performance. On top of the fact that most people don't even realise you can get cheap gaming PCs, people seem to think that building a PC is difficult or technical when it really isn't in the slightest.

PC snobbishness is justified, in my view, because people who think consoles are better generally use arguments that aren't true. The only reason I can think of for getting a console over a PC is exclusives. PCs are simply better in every other way. There are plenty of genuine reasons why people wouldn't want to be fitness nuts or vegetarians or vegans or health nuts or rock music fanatics, but most of the arguments console gamers use are just not valid.

I'm not a person to go around yelling about a PC Master Race but I do think PCs are a much better gaming platform than consoles.
    Now I'm not the biggest xbox fan but twice the RAM plus a blu-ray drive? Doesn't look like that PC is all that much better. Nice processor though.

The fact of the matter is (and feel free to disagree) the differences are negligible - not by numbers but by experience. You simply don't need that processor to run a great game. Wether or not you can play, for example, TLOU has a *huge* difference on your gaming experience. Exclusives cannot be disregarded. I would buy a 'cheap' PC if I could play Uncharted and knew enough people to play MP.

PC 'master-race' gamers are definitely the snobbier group because of those listed they are the most up themselves. Not to mention the importance of graphics and/or specs (the main PC gamer fav) is extremely subjective. I legitimately struggle to see the difference - maybe that's because Arkham Origins and Bioshock Infinite aren't really games you play for the graphics and because lush racing games etc. have never been my thing.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with playing on a PC but one doesn't need to look far to find the bad type of PC gamer shoving his graphics card in everyone's face.

PS. I've never seen a PC gamer boast about how cheap their PC is compared to console. Quite the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous Coward)
    wwqwghw
    Gym-Goers = nothing wrong with staying fit, snobby when they insist others should go and try and push this onto people not interested.

Vegetarians = Your choice, humans have evolved to eat meat. Fine as long as they have a peta madness about them.

Health nuts: Paleo etc.. There is something to what type of food you eat affecting mood etc. If they look down upon people who eat mcdonalds / ramen because they can't afford healthier food they're snobby.

Feminists = Of course equality is good. Not handled well by feminists, often hateful and having the reverse effect.

Rock 'real music' fans = don't really know
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Now I'm not the biggest xbox fan but twice the RAM plus a blu-ray drive? Doesn't look like that PC is all that much better. Nice processor though.

The fact of the matter is (and feel free to disagree) the differences are negligible - not by numbers but by experience. You simply don't need that processor to run a great game. Wether or not you can play, for example, TLOU has a *huge* difference on your gaming experience. Exclusives cannot be disregarded. I would buy a 'cheap' PC if I could play Uncharted and knew enough people to play MP.

PC 'master-race' gamers are definitely the snobbier group because of those listed they are the most up themselves. Not to mention the importance of graphics and/or specs (the main PC gamer fav) is extremely subjective. I legitimately struggle to see the difference - maybe that's because Arkham Origins and Bioshock Infinite aren't really games you play for the graphics and because lush racing games etc. have never been my thing.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with playing on a PC but one doesn't need to look far to find the bad type of PC gamer shoving his graphics card in everyone's face.

PS. I've never seen a PC gamer boast about how cheap their PC is compared to console. Quite the opposite.
    Firstly, there's not a massive need for more RAM in games. For gaming, the most important thing by far is the video card. More RAM is great if you can get it but it's more important for productivity tasks, less so for gaming. Nevertheless, you could add an extra 4GB to that build and it'd still be less than the xbox one. And seriously, who needs a blu-ray drive? Particularly given that the xbox one struggles with most games at 1080p (full HD) which the PC could easily do, the blu-ray drive really isn't such a big deal.

The fact of the matter is that the differences are not negligible. That particular build has been tried and tested and you can play games at better quality levels at higher resolutions with better framerates. On top of that, you've got a much bigger selection of games available, the games you can play on it are cheaper (you can save literally hundreds of pounds with PC games vs console equivalents, plus you get Steam), you can mod your games... And most importantly, it's a PC. You can do everything a console does, plus work, plus internet browsing, plus productivity, plus more multimedia features. The input controls are undeniably better for the PC, too. On top of that, when your PC fails you can simply replace the broken part rather than having to get an entire new games console and as new technology comes in, you just get new components rather than having to buy a new gen console. Also, gaming services are completely free on the PC (no need for xbox live or PSN, another cost you've got with consoles), PC games have better multiplayer support (much more features, infinitely better for LAN too). Also, many console games are capped to 30fps whereas you can get 60fps+ even with that basic build. There are also more exclusives for the PC than there are for the xbox and playstation, such as most indie games, and obviously there are tons of free games too (and you can emulate old consoles) - and virtually infinite backwards compatibility.

Given all of that, I really don't see how you can claim that consoles are better, I literally don't understand how you can argue that. And no, of course you've not seen PC gamers boast how cheap their PC is. That's because you can customise PCs and create really powerful (and beautiful!) builds that give you a brilliant gaming and productivity experience, that's part of the fun. That doesn't mean cheap gaming PCs aren't possible, but obviously battlestations are a lot more exciting. If you could customise consoles (which you can't, everyone's stuck with the basic model), you wouldn't find anyone boasting about having the cheapest possible build, would you?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.