Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Coming from someone who has recently owned; Galaxy S5, LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2 , Nokia Lumia 1520 , HTC ONE M8

My 3 Best ones were; Xperia Z2, Nokia Lumia 1520 and LG G3 - I dont think you would regret getting any one of these

I would recommend; The New Xperia Z3 but if waited like a months I thing the Xperia Z4 would be out. The look, feel, battery life and functions of the phone are flawless in my opinion,

ReputationRep:
    I find I can't afford all these top of the range brand new over priced and over merchendised phones that will drop their prices by a third in 6 months..
    I recently bought a HTC One M7 sim free and I'm on a £10 per month sim only contract and it's what I now swear by. I also have less problems than an iPhone 6 owner and a Samsung Galaxy Alpha owner I work with.
    Shop around, don't fall for marketing crap and waste your money on a tiny logo that costs the manufacturer a fraction of a penny to make.

Oh I also learned recently the iPhone 6 plus everything included resource and component wise costs Apple in the region of £3.45 to manufacture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussMack)
    Oh I also learned recently the iPhone 6 plus everything included resource and component wise costs Apple in the region of £3.45 to manufacture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah... that's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Hmm okay interesting. I mostly use data so all those minutes and texts would be a little pointless. What's a good PAYG/sim free phone for around £150 with good battery life. I'd seen the S4 mini previously and it looked okay.
    For plans, Three has a pretty good pay as you go plan at the moment. It's 1p a mb data, 2p texts and 3p a minute calls - works out well for light users.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had my mobile phone for a good 3 years(Its a samsung galaxy young-so a bit outdated) now.Im 17 and im currently doing my alevels.How can i get a new phone? I currently have £140 atm which phone would be cheaper HTC,Samsung or Sony? I definitely need a front camera too.I need a decent amount of gig too since I want to download snapchat,whatsapp,facebook and music on my phone.

How can i convince my strict parents to contribute some money to a new mobile phone.I rarely ask them for anything,the last thing i asked for was fifa14(when it came out) apart from that i haven't really asked for anything.During christmas my dad gave me £100 and my mum couldnt give me anything because s

think i will also tend to call people or communicate via whatsapp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Ive had my mobile phone for a good 3 years(Its a samsung galaxy young-so a bit outdated) now.Im 17 and im currently doing my alevels.How can i get a new phone? I currently have £140 atm which phone would be cheaper HTC,Samsung or Sony? I definitely need a front camera too.I need a decent amount of gig too since I want to download snapchat,whatsapp,facebook and music on my phone.

How can i convince my strict parents to contribute some money to a new mobile phone.I rarely ask them for anything,the last thing i asked for was fifa14(when it came out) apart from that i haven't really asked for anything.During christmas my dad gave me £100 and my mum couldnt give me anything because s

think i will also tend to call people or communicate via whatsapp
    Each brand has very cheap phones and very expensive phones. For £140 get the Moto G 2013 (smaller screen with 4G) or Moto G 2014 (bigger screen with better speakers), they're the best phones your budget.

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone pay £700 for a handset when they could keep their previous model and get a Mac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Each brand has very cheap phones and very expensive phones. For £140 get the Moto G 2013 (smaller screen with 4G) or Moto G 2014 (bigger screen with better speakers), they're the best phones your budget.
    anything else with a more recognised brand name?

ReputationRep:
    anything else with a more recognised brand name?
    Motorola is one of the most established and recognised names in the history of mobile phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Motorola is one of the most established and recognised names in the history of mobile phones.
    really? see
    ms like nokia samsung iphone and htc are for my gen?

ReputationRep:
    really? see
    ms like nokia samsung iphone and htc are for my gen?
    Really.

What do you mean by "your gen"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Really.

What do you mean by "your gen"?

my gen thrive on samsung,htc and iphones....what is the cheapest phone i could get without setting me back too much? i dont really want to have to upgrade in like a years time...ive had a look at the moto g but the camera is putting me off? do you have one?

ReputationRep:
    my gen thrive on samsung,htc and iphones....what is the cheapest phone i could get without setting me back too much? i dont really want to have to upgrade in like a years time...ive had a look at the moto g but the camera is putting me off? do you have one?
    The Moto G uses the same operating system as HTC and Samsung, and better hardware than the phones they have for this price. It's every bit as suited to "your gen" thing to say since smartphones have as any other Android smartphone on the market.

I have one, it used to be my primary phone but I keep it as a backup, something I've never done with a phone before because it's excellent for so little money. The camera in the 2013 models is meh, the same as every other cheap phone on the planet. The 2014 model uses a fairly decent 8MP camera, so that would be better suited to you if camera quality is a priority. If camera quality is a really big priority, spend more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Moto G uses the same operating system as HTC and Samsung, and better hardware than the phones they have for this price. It's every bit as suited to "your gen" thing to say since smartphones have as any other Android smartphone on the market.

I have one, it used to be my primary phone but I keep it as a backup, something I've never done with a phone before because it's excellent for so little money. The camera in the 2013 models is meh, the same as every other cheap phone on the planet. The 2014 model uses a fairly decent 8MP camera, so that would be better suited to you if camera quality is a priority. If camera quality is a really big priority, spend more money.
    is it a popular phone with the younger generation? how often would i have to upgrade? is there a better phone than the moto g? would i be able to play candy crush subway surfer and other games too? any good phones i could get for around £200?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

i mean ive seen this:
    https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sam...ype=payasyougo

which i reckon i could persuade my parents to contrribute to considering i have £140 or is there a better phone

ReputationRep:
    is it a popular phone with the younger generation?
    Yes. And even if it wasn't why would it matter? It's the best phone for under £150 when it comes to screen, specs and build quality, it has solid battery life, it has uncluttered software, its camera is ok, its speakers are decent. It's a great phone, regardless of who buys it.

how often would i have to upgrade?
    That depends. For basic stuff like web browsing and Candy Crush? Not for years. For high demand tasks and making sure you have the absolute latest software? More often than high end phones, but less often than anything else this cheap- Motorola are currently the best Android phone maker for giving phones the latest updates.

is there a better phone than the moto g?
    For the price? No. Simple as that.

would i be able to play candy crush subway surfer and other games too?
    Yes.

any good phones i could get for around £200?
    The OnePlus One or Nexus 5. If you can't find those for within your budget, there is nothing worth getting over the Moto G.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yes. And even if it wasn't why would it matter? It's the best phone for under £150 when it comes to screen, specs and build quality, it has solid battery life, it has uncluttered software, its camera is ok, its speakers are decent. It's a great phone, regardless of who buys it.

That depends. For basic stuff like web browsing and Candy Crush? Not for years. For high demand tasks and making sure you have the absolute latest software? More often than high end phones, but less often than anything else this cheap- Motorola are currently the best Android phone maker for giving phones the latest updates.

For the price? No. Simple as that.

Yes.

The OnePlus One or Nexus 5. If you can't find those for within your budget, there is nothing worth getting over the Moto G.
    ok thank you i will take it into consideration,if i purchased a samsung s4 mini would i have to upgrade very soon or would i be ok for the next 2-3 years?

ReputationRep:
    i mean ive seen this:
    https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sam...ype=payasyougo

which i reckon i could persuade my parents to contrribute to considering i have £140 or is there a better phone
    It has a worse screen and is less powerful than the Moto G. It has a better camera than the 2013 Moto G but it won't be much better than the 2014 version. On a more personal note, Samsung phones are cheap and plasticky feeling compared to the Moto G which is really solid and pretty good looking, and Samsung's software is ugly. It will also almost definitely be worse off when it comes to software upgrades. Not worth getting over the G in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    ok thank you i will take it into consideration,if i purchased a samsung s4 mini would i have to upgrade very soon or would i be ok for the next 2-3 years?
    As I said about the Moto G, if you want to stick to basic stuff you should get a couple of years of use out of it before it starts feeling slow and developers stop catering to low end hardware. This will expire much quicker than the Moto G though- the S4 Mini isn't even going to be updated to the newest version of Android. If you want longevity from a cheap phone, the Moto G is an even more obvious choice for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    As I said about the Moto G, if you want to stick to basic stuff you should get a couple of years of use out of it before it starts feeling slow and developers stop catering to low end hardware. This will expire much quicker than the Moto G though- the S4 Mini isn't even going to be updated to the newest version of Android. If you want longevity from a cheap phone, the Moto G is an even more obvious choice for you.
    um if i download temple run,facebook,whatspp and music,surf the web and go on youtube will the moto G be able to take all that without going slow?

-ive been doing that on my samsung galaxy young and its getting annoying how im getting the insufficient storage message.Thanks for telling me about the samsung s4 mini stuff didnt know about that?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.