Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peedie pixie)
    It was 4000 words (with a 10% allowance either side, so 3600-4400). I think I had about 5 pages of references, though those were all done Harvard referencing style & took up about 3 lines each with a line in between each reference edit - counted and there were 32 references!

That lecturer told us to have at least 6 references, of which some were academic journals. I searched my uni databases for those and just used an awful lot of online newspaper articles and websites specifically related to my degree. Statistics are always good if you can find them, even if you have to twist them to suit your argument

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's really useful advice, thank you 😊 32 references wow! I shall certainly keep this in mind when I tackle my next assignment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    The first assignment I got was an essay, got 73% on it which I was pretty happy with considering I felt like I struggled, but going back over it I understand why I got a higher mark than peers.
    That's fantastic ☺️ Can I ask what you noticed which set you apart from your peers in your assignment? Did you manage to maintain this standard of work on your next assignment?

ReputationRep:
    37% percent on an essay about Facebook. then again i study computing so essay writing barely ever happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    Planning to. But even then I'm starting to feel like there's no point being here if I'm not smart enough.
    Don't put yourself down like that, you are just as smart as everyone else otherwise you wouldn't have been accepted into uni Plus, the evidence is right there in your grades where you got 62% on your drama essay. If that's not smart then I don't know what is 😄

I truly hope things get better for you. I know how it is to feel isolated but situations can change over time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hman1994)
    37% percent on an essay about Facebook. then again i study computing so essay writing barely ever happens.
    Were you ok with the 37% at the time?

I don't know if I should call you lucky for not having to write too many essays, I have a love/hate relationship with them sometimes lol 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowKiwi)
    That's fantastic ☺️ Can I ask what you noticed which set you apart from your peers in your assignment? Did you manage to maintain this standard of work on your next assignment?
    It was my ability to write in a scientific manner, many of my peers struggled with the correct writing style. Not had another assignment back marked yet so can't say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hman1994)
    I've put up a video faintly related to this topic, if you are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Essay...859039?fref=ts

ReputationRep:
    Were you ok with the 37% at the time?

I don't know if I should call you lucky for not having to write too many essays, I have a love/hate relationship with them sometimes lol

well i still passed the module so i was happy with it. haven't had to write an essay since. i'm awful at references and quoting when it comes to essays.

ReputationRep:
    What was your grade/percentage? How hard did you work on it? Were you happy or disappointed? What feedback did you take away from it that was handy for the future assignments?
    65% so a B.

Not overly hard. Could have worked harder and put more effort into it. I was very happy seeing as I didn't really know how to write a degree-style essay and was worried I had done it wrong. I didn't have an in-depth bibliography so I was told to read more and use a variety of sources.

ReputationRep:
    I got 58% for my first lab report and I worked fairly hard on it but I was definitely over-complicating things and making silly mistakes (like printing a coloured graph on a black and white printer thereby making it unreadable lol). Luckily the majority of my modules are 100% exam based which suits me better than assignments.

ReputationRep:
    71% on my first ever one, and so far out of the 9 assignments I've handed in, 8 of them have been above 70% so I'm really pleased

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in mine. I do psychology so it's very hard to get an A due to it being very subjective.. I'm in final year now and have got Bs and above in everything so far this year. For some reason my uni don't do percentages or give us classifications until our final degree classification but an A average is a 1st, B = 2:1 and C = 2:2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    I got a C in mine. I do psychology so it's very hard to get an A due to it being very subjective.. I'm in final year now and have got Bs and above in everything so far this year. For some reason my uni don't do percentages or give us classifications until our final degree classification but an A average is a 1st, B = 2:1 and C = 2:2
    Can I ask what uni you study at? I'm also taking psychology, I'm first year though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyc_Girl)
    Can I ask what uni you study at? I'm also taking psychology, I'm first year though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at bedfordshire. It's not great on the league tables but very few universities offer my course (psychology and criminal behaviour) and I got an academic scholarship

If you could take part in my dissertation study that would be amazing! It takes about 10 minutes and you'll receive a copy of my dissertation when it's finished if you add your email at the end plus I'll do my best to answer any of your questions :

https://qtrial2015az1.az1.qualtrics....dzgWV7laijutEx

ReputationRep:
    Tommorow it would be 30%. I know this because I uploaded an old draft by accident which omits significant sections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibola240)
    Tommorow it would be 30%. I know this because I uploaded an old draft by accident which omits significant sections
    Oh no, that's annoying! 😅 Is there anything you can do about it? Perhaps email your tutor and explain it's the wrong one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyc_Girl)
    71% on my first ever one, and so far out of the 9 assignments I've handed in, 8 of them have been above 70% so I'm really pleased

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've managed to keep to your high standard, well done any tips you can share with me? I'm worried about setting myself up too high only to struggle to keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    65% so a B.

Not overly hard. Could have worked harder and put more effort into it. I was very happy seeing as I didn't really know how to write a degree-style essay and was worried I had done it wrong. I didn't have an in-depth bibliography so I was told to read more and use a variety of sources.
    I guess the markers love to see proof of wider reading involved. This seems to be one of the main things they look out for in assignments.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, that's annoying! 😅 Is there anything you can do about it? Perhaps email your tutor and explain it's the wrong one?
    I told him about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing could be done now. Stuff like this always happen to me, gotten used to it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    I assumed everyone used percentages. Does that mean when you get a grade for an assignment, you don't know how close you got to the next grade? That's one of the good things about the percentage system

I've heard how courses like Psychology are hard to get high marks on. Good on you for maintaining B and above!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.