Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would You Make Your Partner Get Tested First? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plumstone)
    Well, my boyfriend is one in a billion!

Seriously, though; I don't understand why people are so reluctant to get tested. It's free and relatively easy and our health is so precious! STIs can cause huge amounts of damage, particularly if left untreated: chlamydia can cause infertility and HIV can obviously ruin people's lives, just to give two obvious examples.

If everyone always got tested before sleeping with someone new, then people with infections could get them treated and everyone would be able to protect their health better.

Personally, I would never put myself at risk by having sex with someone who hadn't been tested and cleared first and if they refused, then I'd question whether they were really the kind of person I wanted to sleep with at all.

I hope you find yourself as great a man as I did!
    Exactly how I fee. It was kinda automatic with me and my bf. No discussion, no arguments just seemed like the normal thing to do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just don't like the idea of "my number" getting any bigger.
    Your number means nothing. Sex isn't something to be ashamed about at all and the number of partners you'll have means nothing at all. It's perfectly natural and you set your own rules and expectations.

ReputationRep:
    Every guy who has sex with me has to be STD tested, I hate having a guy wear a condom, I much prefer skin on skin and a full load of *** inside of me

Well, my boyfriend is one in a billion!

Seriously, though; I don't understand why people are so reluctant to get tested. It's free and relatively easy and our health is so precious! STIs can cause huge amounts of damage, particularly if left untreated: chlamydia can cause infertility and HIV can obviously ruin people's lives, just to give two obvious examples.

If everyone always got tested before sleeping with someone new, then people with infections could get them treated and everyone would be able to protect their health better.

Personally, I would never put myself at risk by having sex with someone who hadn't been tested and cleared first and if they refused, then I'd question whether they were really the kind of person I wanted to sleep with at all.

I hope you find yourself as great a man as I did!
    I guess for some reason it's a bit humiliating for guys to get tested, not to stereotype this is just what I've observed. I guess it could be partially a fear that they could have something? It's actually quite bizarre. Although I admit if someone asked me, I would feel a tad bit insulted, and wonder if they thought I wasn't clean. I know of course it's totally reasonable to ask someone to get tested.
    I hope I do too thanks

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Your number means nothing. Sex isn't something to be ashamed about at all and the number of partners you'll have means nothing at all. It's perfectly natural and you set your own rules and expectations.
    Yeah, I guess that's true. It's not so much my number as me feeling as though the more people I have it with, the less special it will be with the person I hopefully spend the rest of my life with. And I kind of feel, when I meet that person, those guys in my past won't even matter. So why even have a lot of past experiences with different people?
    But my view on sex is that of someone who hasn't experienced much of it, soo....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I guess for some reason it's a bit humiliating for guys to get tested, not to stereotype this is just what I've observed ... I admit if someone asked me, I would feel a tad bit insulted, and wonder if they thought I wasn't clean.
    I'd never even thought of it this way - for me it's just something you do.

I didn't feel insulted that my university wanted me to sit first year exams, because the purpose is to check that I'm still a suitable candidate for progression to the second year rather than because they think I'm thick.

In the same way, I wouldn't feel insulted if my partner asked me to get tested - although since my boyfriend and I are planning to be together indefinitely (our, less soppy way of saying "forever" ) then hopefully I'll never need to

I'd never even thought of it this way - for me it's just something you do.

I didn't feel insulted that my university wanted me to sit first year exams, because the purpose is to check that I'm still a suitable candidate for progression to the second year rather than because they think I'm thick.

In the same way, I wouldn't feel insulted if my partner asked me to get tested - although since my boyfriend and I are planning to be together indefinitely (our, less soppy way of saying "forever" ) then hopefully I'll never need to
    That make sense. I've never been asked before by someone to get tested, have just had it done as part of routine stuff, so...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.