Turn on thread page Beta

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisystones)
    I thought it was considered racist to call people 'black' but okay to say that they were 'coloured'?!

I'm so behind the times :confused:

I'm sure South Park did an episode skewering this very topic where someone had said something and the definition of every minority had to be changed to something ridiculously ostentatious, like 'black' would instead be 'socially-challenged-Afro-American-person'

ReputationRep:
    This is such a weird one because he was saying the right stuff but used such an old fashioned term, perhaps he panicked to choose the politically correct term and then made a mistake? TBH it isn't entirely clear what the right terms are these days. There isn't an agreed rule book anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    White people have absolutely no right to use terms like coloured
    'Coloured' is an English word.

English is from England. (or Germanic/Anglo-Saxon languages)

All three of the above are traditionally and historically dominated by white folk.

Ergo, white people are allowed to use the word, and anyone else using it is 'cultural appropriation'.

My logic is infinitely more secure than yours, yet it is still flawed - why? Because 'claiming' certain words is stupid.

But again, we can only complain if the 'nasty white cis scum' do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Don't the radlibs use the term 'people of colour', so what is wrong with him using 'coloured people'?

Another example of idiots looking for any excuse to attack the 'nasty white man'. Nothing wrong with him, shouldn't apologize.
    "Idiots"

Who created the modern concept of race?
    Who created and benefited from segregation?

(Original post by Tootles)
    Neither did I. It's not a word I use very often, but at the end of the day it's a word. On hearing the word 'coloured' used in this kind of context I don't think 'racist ****,' I think they are simply referring to people who aren't white.

People need to stop being so politically correct; it's damaging society's capacity to be honest about and with each other.
    And what does your subconscious think of people who are not white?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    This is such a weird one because he was saying the right stuff but used such an old fashioned term, perhaps he panicked to choose the politically correct term and then made a mistake? TBH it isn't entirely clear what the right terms are these days. There isn't an agreed rule book anywhere.
    Why should he have to use the PC term? That seems to be expanding into the bigger issue. As many have already argued, the NAACP is an example of using 'colour' in this context. But the UK has been overridden by rabid ultra-left liberals trying to dictate what everyone should say. I have little hope for this country if such an acclaimed actor is being hung out to dry by such whiny hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I think your first link to the BBC is incorrect
    Cheers

All updated now!

ReputationRep:
    "Idiots"

Who created the modern concept of race?
    Who created and benefited from segregation?

Modern concept of race? Oh dear, I shall not bite. Not this time.

Besides, I usually eat starburst in such a way that I leave the best (red and orange) to last, thus segregating them. I benefitted.

And what does your subconscious think of people who are not white?
    That they need a ****ing good scrub with some Brillo pads and 40-grit sandpaper

Seriously, what kind of question is that? I think they're not white. That's all. Is that that hard to believe? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Non-racist called apologises for using non-racist word while condemning possibly imaginary racism, strongly asserts it does not mean he is racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Why should he have to use the PC term? That seems to be expanding into the bigger issue. As many have already argued, the NAACP is an example of using 'colour' in this context. But the UK has been overridden by rabid ultra-left liberals trying to dictate what everyone should say. I have little hope for this country if such an acclaimed actor is being hung out to dry by such whiny hypocrites.
    Erm... he obviously doesn't have to but as someone who wants to be seen as a decent member of society, and probably some kind of role model, I expect he wants to. As evidenced by his immediate apology.

ReputationRep:
    So it's wrong to call them black, and it's also wrong to call them coloured. What are you meant to say? People of sub-Saharan origin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    'Coloured' is an English word.

English is from England. (or Germanic/Anglo-Saxon languages)

All three of the above are traditionally and historically dominated by white folk.

Ergo, white people are allowed to use the word, and anyone else using it is 'cultural appropriation'.

My logic is infinitely more secure than yours, yet it is still flawed - why? Because 'claiming' certain words is stupid.

But again, we can only complain if the 'nasty white cis scum' do it.
    Thank you for bring out such a stereotypically "white male" respnose, but what reasons and situations, would whites have to use such an outdated word?

(Original post by Tootles)
    That they need a ****ing good scrub with some Brillo pads and 40-grit sandpaper

Seriously, what kind of question is that? I think they're not white. That's all. Is that that hard to believe? :rolleyes:

Just asking.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are defending the use of that word. Ofcourse let me take a wild guess that none of you are black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolasinac138)
    So it's wrong to call them black, and it's also wrong to call them coloured. What are you meant to say? People of sub-Saharan origin?

Who said it was wrong to refer to African Americans as black?

ReputationRep:
    Now all he needs to do is apologise for acting in boring series like Sherlock. I'll be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Who said it was wrong to refer to African Americans as black?
    Exactly!
    I don't understand why everybody in this thread is saying that "black" is offensive too, as in that there's no way to actually name black people.

Black people know they're black, like???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli-Ol)
    I don't really see what the issue is.

I can't see any other term that he could have used- 'black' would be inappropriate given that he was talking about all ethnic minorities.

When I was little, 'coloured' was the politically correct term. It never made much sense to me, given that everyone has skin of some colour- nobody's transparent- but it was what I was taught to use. 'Black' was (and still is, to many of my friends) derogatory, and 'people of colour' sounds ridiculous.

Most importantly, he was talking about a very real issue and there was no intent to offend.
    I'm in agreement with everything you've said here, apart from the bit in bold which I thought was quite bizarre. Calling somebody black has never been derogatory, how on earth else are you supposed to refer to somebody when you don't know their exact ethnic background?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    I can't believe people are defending the use of that word. Ofcourse let me take a wild guess that none of you are black.
    Yes, you can use ' that word '
    coloured or is this another word that only by used by Black people?

No one cares if you are Black or from any other minority.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you are so bent out of shape over such a word.

ReputationRep:
    Really pointless set of outrage. If he said 'actors of colour' no one would have minded. He meant no harm, and that's the important thing. I'm pretty annoyed that he apologised.

ReputationRep:
    I would do the same if all of a sudden this was a racist term that was to be taken with offense.

On the other hand i think it is also rather flattering to be referred to that way, makes you sound more cheerful and interesting as compared to colourless.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.