Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

US bans Cadbury's chocolate... are they mad? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Chocolate is not eaten in sufficient quantities by most people to really be blamed. The reason you end up with Diabetes is the tonne of added sugar in processed carbohydrates.
    For Type 2s maybe. As a Type 1, that's not reflective of mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Nothing to do with the government itself.

What's happened is that an American company has been allowed to produce Cadbury's but the US regulations allow them to make a product which apparently tastes worse so a lot of businesses import the real thing from here. That company has decided that under the terms of the agreement, they can stop the imports.
    Well thats just dandy then isnt it. Theyre using holes in legislation to make a lame product that is misusing the license to the Cadbury brand name. Its clear this company wouldnt be around without the name so Cadbury should terminate the agreement and get into the US market themselves, they have demand there clearly so why not give the Us the real thing
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hershey's to me has the distinct taste and whiff of stale vomit - literally. I hate it.

It's most definitely protectionism. The U.S. are complete hypocrites. If a British company tried to pull the same stunt in the UK or Europe with an American product, the bloody President and the whole of Congress would get involved to stop them.

Hershey's is trying to eliminate the competition by banning the sale of the products unless they are manufactured in the US - by Hershey's. They know that the Cadbury formula is by far superior and are acting like a wounded animal.

The price of Swiss chocolate products jumped at least 20% last week, Hershey's are just trying to monopolise the home market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    We are so addicted to such a destructive product, we are actively outraged when it is removed from the market.

"Give us our chocolate back, how dare you remove our opportunities to get diabetes!"
    That made me chuckle but I have to call you out on that. Most things can give diabetes. That is an invalid statement. The key is moderation, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by catsis)
    That made me chuckle but I have to call you out on that. Most things can give diabetes. That is an invalid statement. The key is moderation, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.
    Ha ha, he should have signed it with 'Mr Angry from Chesham'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care. Just give me the chocolate and nobody will get hurt!

ReputationRep:
    We are so addicted to such a destructive product, we are actively outraged when it is removed from the market.

"Give us our chocolate back, how dare you remove our opportunities to get diabetes!"
    Or it could just be "Give us our chocolate back, how dare you remove that product that we enjoy occasionally as part of a healthy, balanced diet".

Spoiler:
    Show
    But we are talking about Americans here, so maybe not

ReputationRep:
    Well, they do have a licensing deal. No-one in here seems to have read the actual article. Hershey's has a licence to produce Dairy Milk in the US, and is within its rights to stop other versions being sold.

edit: I'm not sure if they actually had those rights, but that's the basis of their claim. It's not the US banning British chocolate.

It's a shame for them, because based on how deeply revolting Hershey's own chocolate is I don't expect their version of Dairy Milk is particularly good either. Then again, I'm sure Kraft will have made the UK version horrible within a few years too, so they might not be losing too much.

Silly Americans.

ReputationRep:
    Looks liKe Wonka has a monopoly on this game now

ReputationRep:
    Feel sorry for the Americans who have no alternative now, Hershey's chocolate is truly revolting, I dunno what they do in the production process but it tastes like vomit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Feel sorry for the Americans who have no alternative now, Hershey's chocolate is truly revolting, I dunno what they do in the production process but it tastes like vomit.
    Honestly completely agree with you. As a Brit in America I don't know how I'm going to survive
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cadbury's chocolate is my favourite of the mainstream brands.

Hershey's, on the other hand, always seems to have this nasty backtaste of vomit, I find; particularly the Hershey Kisses. I heard it's because they use sour milk in their recipe.

Maybe we should stop importing Hershey's to the UK in response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Cadbury's chocolate is my favourite of the mainstream brands.

Hershey's, on the other hand, always seems to have this nasty backtaste of vomit, I find; particularly the Hershey Kisses. I heard it's because they use sour milk in their recipe.

Maybe we should stop importing Hershey's to the UK in response.
    Absolutely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Or it could just be "Give us our chocolate back, how dare you remove that product that we enjoy occasionally as part of a healthy, balanced diet".

Spoiler:
    Show
    But we are talking about Americans here, so maybe not
    'Healthy balanced diet'.

Doubtful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsis)
    The key is moderation, but people aren't managing that. Besides, I already said it is Cadburys being banned, not chocolate, so this debate is tangential.

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Ha ha, he should have signed it with 'Mr Angry from Chesham'.
    How does it know I am from Chesham, precious?

How does it know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Step 1: Make cheap knock-off of a quality product
    Step 2: Lobby for legislation to make the original product illegal
    Step 3: Profit!

Good old free market economy.
    What are you talking about? This is the polar opposite of what true free market economics stands for.

(Original post by Izzyeviel)
    It is the will of the Free Market.
    No, it isn't.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The key is moderation, but people aren't managing that. Besides, I already said it is Cadburys being banned, not chocolate, so this debate is tangential.

How does it know I am from Chesham, precious?

How does it know?
    Only tricksy fat hobbitses knows!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be sure to boycott Hershey's in the future.

On the other hand, Cadbury isn't even British owned anymore, maybe there's no point being a loyalist

ReputationRep:
    Cadburys chocolate is **** these days anyway. I used to work there and they have definiteley changes the recipe. I belive it now has a higher vegetable fat content and also what was once vegetable oil has been replaces with palm oil. Grim stuff.

and that's before even touching on what they have done to cream eggs :'(

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.