Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Only people that got law firm offers from my class were: watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, what ****ing ever. I can only decide for myself what to do and leave it to other minorities in the same position to choose themselves. I am moving away to another country (my father's country) in June most likely. I will tell you how it goes when I get there. Things are a bit better in London re employment for the minorities, but the north is as racist as it gets. People are better off in America even than here (unless you are black).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I am sorry but, with such behaviour, you shouldn't be so perplexed as to why you, personally, didn't get an offer.
    Who are you talking about? I'm not talking about not getting an offer, I simply commented on a really interesting line of text - please read through the thread.

/cheersm8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remedium)
    That's nice, please tell me about how going to Oxford is a prequisite for being an expert in everything academic.
    It doesn't. Cambridge is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remedium)
    Who are you talking about? I'm not talking about not getting an offer, I simply commented on a really interesting line of text - please read through the thread.

/cheersm8
    Wrong quote. Apologies. It was directed towards one of the various, yet equally annoyinh, replies of the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry but, with such behaviour, you shouldn't be so perplexed as to why you, personally, didn't get an offer.
    Explain the others then. Exactly you can't! Walking through A&O's office seriously feels like a trip to White Castle. You don't like the truth.

ReputationRep:
    OP isn't entirely wrong,lets not forget how hidden racism exists in so many places and ethnic minorities are subject to it because it is so difficult to identify. I don't think it was OP's 'behaviour', I am not saying the firms were racist but being ignorant towards hidden racism isn't helping anyone

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...p-9893211.html

Muslims must be lazy and benefits scroungers then because they are not working. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Explain the others then. Exactly you can't! Walking through A&O's office seriously feels like a trip to White Castle. You don't like the truth.
    I have for so long imagined what A&O's offices are like, sad to say I am disappointed in the description you have provided us with

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...p-9893211.html

Muslims must be lazy and benefits scroungers then because they are not working. :rolleyes:
    Haha, fancy a job at the Mail?!

ReputationRep:
    all white. With the same grades and experience as the rest of us. We graduated in 2013. Not one ethnic minority afaik has had an offer from my class. What does that tell you about law firms?
    I have done work experience at a MC/SC type (£1bn revenue) law firm and it's sad to say that almost all the associate positions are held by white. I am talking about the lower stage of the ladder, that's what frightens me. Everyone above a senior associate is white (well that was for my division)
    However all the 'whites' went to places like Warwick,Cambridge,LSE etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and colour is the other. My cousin is a partner and he said the same. FYI, he was a partner of Eversheds. The amount of **** he had to put up with to get to where he is was far more than a white person endured. He is a one in a million though, truly exceptional talent.
    I didn't really want to comment as I enjoy lurking in the shadows. If I could, id give you more thumbs up. I have friends who studied law and I feel I am more aware of the nature of this environment. It is racist, you're right. Preference is towards white, most Asians end up starting their own firms and become successful. I suppose you need a training contract first though right? Best option would be to find any firm irregardless of prestige. However not sure how you would feel about that? I'll tell you another thing Gloucester crown court is racist. Research it up, also there's this case going with regards to "sheikh sisters" worth a read man. Check it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hody421)
    I have done work experience at a MC/SC type (£1bn revenue) law firm and it's sad to say that almost all the associate positions are held by white. I am talking about the lower stage of the ladder, that's what frightens me. Everyone above a senior associate is white (well that was for my division)
    However all the 'whites' went to places like Warwick,Cambridge,LSE etc.

Been there , done that. Went to all of the open days and tried to find out as much as possible before my apps. And I found the same things. You would find this even, and especially, in regional firms where the white people are from universities that are more regionally prestigious. I am not gambling on my career like this tbh, to waste years of my life and get actively discriminated against is a load of rubbish. It makes sense why a lot of us ethnics rather go on to start our own firms and businesses (or move abroad either for jobs or in the process of their businesses).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thePatron)
    I didn't really want to comment as I enjoy lurking in the shadows. If I could, id give you more thumbs up. I have friends who studied law and I feel I am more aware of the nature of this environment. It is racist, you're right. Preference is towards white, most Asians end up starting their own firms and become successful. I suppose you need a training contract first though right? Best option would be to find any firm irregardless of prestige. However not sure how you would feel about that? I'll tell you another thing Gloucester crown court is racist. Research it up, also there's this case going with regards to "sheikh sisters" worth a read man. Check it out.

Cousin started off at a small firm in Nottingham. Old white partners were bullies and he could not do anything about that. The white colleagues all got preferential treatment and got promoted. Only way he got up was that he had achievements to his name and could therefore jump to another firm as he represented value that way. It means that it is pretty goddamn difficult for an ethnic through and that a lot of the time it seems like a lot is against you even in your own office (politics).

Glouchester crown court and the "sheikh sisters?" Have you got any links to these incidents/cases?

ReputationRep:
    Truly the most pathetic thread I have seen on TSR -ever. And that's saying something.

This is World Class professional circuit victimhood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Truly the most pathetic thread I have seen on TSR -ever. And that's saying something.

This is World Class professional circuit victimhood.

Prove me wrong then.

x
    whats your ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    Been there , done that. Went to all of the open days and tried to find out as much as possible before my apps. And I found the same things. You would find this even, and especially, in regional firms where the white people are from universities that are more regionally prestigious. I am not gambling on my career like this tbh, to waste years of my life and get actively discriminated against is a load of rubbish. It makes sense why a lot of us ethnics rather go on to start our own firms and businesses (or move abroad either for jobs or in the process of their businesses).
    Yes, you need to be literally twice as good as non-disadvantaged people.

It saddens to see an East-African Oxford educated guy working as a paralegal for nearly 2 years after graduation...

My advice: office politics, make connections early.

ReputationRep:
    Prove me wrong then.
    That's impossible.

This is TSR. No matter what argument is put forward, it's axiomatic that you will reject it.

I could show you any statistic, you'd rebut it with your own. I could quote you any anecdote, you'd reply with your own.

The best thing to do is for you to carry on believing that you are being discriminated against by just about everyone; and for me to carry on believing that you are an eternal victim.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I actually agree with you here and it was a similar case in my law school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hody421)
    Yes, you need to be literally twice as good as non-disadvantaged people.

It saddens to see an East-African Oxford educated guy working as a paralegal for nearly 2 years after graduation...

My advice: office politics, make connections early.
    I know beautiful, white, upper-middle-class Cambridge graduates who have been working as paralegals for years. It's a competitive field.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.