Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All_TheCyanide)
    Really, there are far bigger problems than a woman not covering her hair in the world. This stems from some fairly misogynistic ideas and when there are people dying and wars being fought, the fact that she hasn't abided by a sexist rule is really not important.

It honestly makes me weep for humanity when people are more shocked about what a woman wears than the destruction of our planet and the violence the US and co have caused, not less the violence religion often causes.
    Without Islam, there's no meaning in life.

(Original post by Reluire)
    Foreign, non-Muslim women aren't obliged to wear head scarfs, although if they're staying in the country for an extended period of time, they probably should.

I think Michelle Obama had every right not to cover her head in that situation. She dressed conservatively, so it's not as if she was being disrespectful. The fact that none of the men said anything to her or Barack Obama shows they obviously respect the U.S. President's authority enough not to create an issue. The West needs Saudi, but clearly Saudi needs the West in one way or another. That's politics.
    America actually controls Saudi Arabia. Their army is what has been keeping the monarchy alive.

My British friend said when she went to Saudi Arabia she didn't wear a headscarf upon arrival and they made her sit in a room at the airport until her driver came and picked her up.

(Original post by Wade-)
    Ok well when muslims come to christian countries they should wear a crucifix, uncover their heads, eat non-halal meat and drink alcohol because that's our culture

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But Islam is the superior religion. The right one.

(Original post by Wahrheit)
    In the grand scheme of things, we really don't need Saudi anything like as much as they need us. They have sand and oil, the US has everything else and marginally less oil. They don't buy Saudi cars, Saudi smartphones, Saudi televisions, they buy western (+easy Asian to be fair) smartphones, cars, televisions. Agriculture is pretty weak in desert climate too.
    The smartphones are mostly east Asian. Even with iPhones, the major components are made in Japan.

Japan is the best in anything electronic.

ReputationRep:
    If everyone else has to cover then she should also. She shouldn't get a special pass for being first lady of the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Saudi Arabia is the largest producer of oil in the world though, so it clearly has its benefits for the West. It's only for the oil that we keep up such good diplomatic relations with them. If we didn't need their oil, we'd never have shown so much interest in King Abdullah's death. Essentially they provide oil to us at the best price.
    The monarchy was basically installed by the British and maintained by the Americans. Saudi Arabia in its current state is a puppet state with some autonomy internally at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnCrichton89)
    Yes we do, all of these things you mentioned stop without oil. Fair enough you would still get oil without Saudi Arabia, but everything would be much more expensive.

Which begs the question. Will this political mishap make the price of oil for America go up, it's quite possible. There is nothing America can give them that many other countries can't, and those countries haven't disrespected their King AT HIS FUNERAL............. but then why should Michelle Obama care about that........... it only affects the little people when oil prices go up.
    America is the reason why the monarchy is still here, so I don't think they'd break relations with America over Her Excellency is wearing a headscarf for a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, do they take off their turbans, burkas and hijabs when they come to America

This is bullcrap I literally just read on the BBC they don't really care

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-31019565

I see what you're trying to do here

Go spout it somewhere else would you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    Without Islam, there's no meaning in life.
    For you.

I prefer science and some good music, personally. And pizza.

ReputationRep:
    The smartphones are mostly east Asian. Even with iPhones, the major components are made in Japan.

Japan is the best in anything electronic.
    Yep I kinda lumped the west and the east together in this as I mentioned. Worth noting that Saudi's biggest imports are from the USA though (~13% of total). Of all the oil that the US imports, 13% is from Saudi. And that's just as a percent of imports, not including domestic oil (http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=727&t=6). This is all pretty far fetched anyway, as it's surely in nobody's best interests to hurt your own economy for absolutely no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    But Islam is the superior religion. The right one.
    Oh yeah I forgot sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good. Let someone get pissed off about it.

Because we cannot disrespect islam.
    Says who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    bad girl.

saudi been feeding the USA oil, yet she don't have a tad bit of respect...

1000 lashes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Saudi Arabia

Land of whips and oil...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    The backlash should be about the fact that she and her husband, the leader of the free world, are paying their respects to the tyrannical leader of a medieval ****hole because of the oil. Its despicable.
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Ok well when muslims come to christian countries they should wear a crucifix, uncover their heads, eat non-halal meat and drink alcohol because that's our culture

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shame I don't have likes to give to you two :/

ReputationRep:
    For you.

I prefer science and some good music, personally. And pizza.
    For everyone.

Without religion, life has no meaning.

ReputationRep:
    For everyone.

Not for me. I seek meaning in art, music and science.

Religion is just a comfort, but there's no evidence to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Says who?
    The Infallible His Holiness The Pope The King of Vatican The Holy See Leader of the Spiritual World Gay Icon God's Direct Message.

And many honourable TSR posters.

ReputationRep:
    Not for me. I seek meaning in art, music and science.

Religion is just a comfort, but there's no evidence to back it up.
    Good music or art cannot be made without God.

I don't believe in science. You should be more critical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Saudi Arabia

Land of whips and oil...
    That sounds like fun.
    Oh not those sorts of whips and oil.

The Infallible His Holiness The Pope The King of Vatican The Holy See Leader of the Spiritual World Gay Icon God's Direct Message.

And many honourable TSR posters.
    Well I call nonsense on it either way.

Bull****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Well I call nonsense on it either way.
    But you're not:
    1. infallible
    2. holy
    3. God's messenger
    4. God's representative
    5. king of anything
    6. leader of anything
    7. head of anything
    8. a cardinal
    9. a future saint
    10. a gay icon
    You may not even be catholic.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't we just invade Saudi Arabia and get control over the oil?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Why can't we just invade Saudi Arabia and get control over the oil?
    Too much hassle. Not worth it.

But you're not:
    1. infallible
    2. holy
    3. God's messenger
    4. God's representative
    5. king of anything
    6. leader of anything
    7. head of anything
    8. a cardinal
    9. a future saint
    10. a gay icon
    You may not even be catholic.
    You're damn right I'm not catholic. No way would I be. Ever.
    Out of that list, I'm definitely not most of those, and I don't even care.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.