Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White children are the group least likely to go to University watch

ReputationRep:
    As I posted on a previous, similar thread, I suspect this is because parent income doesn't correlate as closely with parental aptitude in recent immigrant populations as it does in long settled populations.

Since aptitude is heritable, high-aptitude whites disproportionately can afford to send their high-aptitude children to private schools, whereas there are a lot of high-aptitude non-whites who can't afford to send their high-aptitude children to private schools.

This difference will probably disappear in the next decades, as those high-aptitude non-white children will receive incomes large enough to afford private school for their own children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'd suggest this should be read alongside other studies such as:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...research-shows

http://www.theguardian.com/education...ity-employment

Just because a higher proportion of *state school* leavers go on to HE doesn't mean that somehow society is not still stacked against BME students/graduates.
    It's not: taking away the state school filter, Chinese (and other East Asian) and Indian students still outperform whites but Pakistani/Bangladeshi and black students don't. This pattern is repeated in earnings, chance of being imprisoned, in fact a whole range of life outcomes.

Unless you believe that society discriminates in favour of Indians but against Pakistanis, the most plausible explanation is that those groups have different aptitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    This difference will probably disappear in the next decades, as those high-aptitude non-white children will receive incomes large enough to afford private school for their own children.
    It might do but we should definitely look at working outside the classroom on personal development. I'd argue equal potential, it's about integration such that each group forms one big unit of equal aim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda14)
    It might do but we should definitely look at working outside the classroom on personal development. I'd argue equal potential, it's about integration such that each group forms one big unit of equal aim.
    Then you're arguing against the best scientific evidence on this subject (note that Indians, Asians, etc. aren't blacks, and US blacks have been selected differently to UK blacks, so they're not the same group either, but the principle that there are hereditary racial differences in aptitude is demonstrated).

I'm interested why you take your position - is it based in evidence, or is it an a priori belief?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gohohome)
    I get the vibe that this thread is trying to claim reverse-racism exists. Eh, whatever, white straight males are still the highest earners in Britain, dominate Parliament, the Police force, other important institutions; "blaming whites, demonising them, criticising them, guilt-tripping them" Pfff.
    Yes upper class white people. The rest of us however who actually have to work and not just work because we're bored or want status are failing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure its the Afro-Caribbeans that are the least likely to go university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    Yes upper class white people. The rest of us however who actually have to work and not just work because we're bored or want status are failing.
    White privilege still exists. It's a thing. For upper class, working class, every class above or between.

I do agree that we live in a kyriarchy; it's not as simple as 'race is the only dividing factor in our society' or, similarly, 'yeah we're all white but they're rich and we're not, therefore we aren't more privileged' – there's ethnicity/'race', gender, class, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, so on so forth all simultaneously creating boundaries.

You don't have to be an upper class white person to benefit from white privilege; certain things are made easier for you, because you are white. 0% of white kids could go to university and still, I bet my bottom dollar, the system as it stands would bend to guarantee that the white 'race' as a collective benefited from our society the most. University probably wouldn't count for **** anymore.

And, I'm also fairly sure with issues like the attainment gap the Afro-Caribbean group and other diaspora are the most impoverished (as a percentage of their population in the UK).

This thread is not simply, 'the working class are the group least likely to go to University', it is 'race' inclusive, and my response is: someone is not simply oppressed or privileged – we all can be simultaneously privileged and oppressed by different aspects of our identities. White people, as a whole, are privileged in a variety of ways against POC, education is only one chunk of the big picture, they still hold the power.

I'm also still standing firmly by the notion that the statement "blaming whites, demonising them, criticising them, guilt-tripping them" is completely out of touch with the realities of our society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Then you're arguing against the best scientific evidence on this subject (note that Indians, Asians, etc. aren't blacks, and US blacks have been selected differently to UK blacks, so they're not the same group either, but the principle that there are hereditary racial differences in aptitude is demonstrated).

I'm interested why you take your position - is it based in evidence, or is it an a priori belief?
    I'm not going to lie, I have no solid evidence for what I say, other than my experience as a less than confident person gaining from the work of a uniformed youth organisation and what I've since seen in other members in my time there as an NCO.

I'm not necessarily saying that there are no differences in aptitude or opportunities between groups either, just that some of the hurdles faced by young people from 'disadvantaged' backgrounds, however they are defined, can be overcome by individuals on a local scale to some degree and that we should support those individuals who want that as best we can.

In my opinion activities where educational and cultural differences are forgotten about in place of doing something amongst something their peers that they enjoy for a brief period of time is one way that personal development can be encouraged, and I have seen this new more 'positive' outlook transferred to 'real life' and their studies.

It's just my belief, really.

ReputationRep:
    I read something on Twitter once which I thought was pretty accurate: "poor black and Asian people work to get themselves out of it, poor white people stay poor and are happy to collect benefits." Simple as.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.