Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"you are pathetic if you need to drink alcohol to have a good time" Watch

ReputationRep:
    'you're pathetic and will have no social life if you don't drink' I could easily turn this around. Like someone else said, each to their own. Me, I don't like drinking for personal reasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    That's generally where the argument about them being pathetic comes in, some people see it as a sign of weakness if someone is unable to express themselves truly and confidently to other people without some sort of chemical intervention. I don't see it that way, people have anxiety issues for various reasons and we shouldn't judge them for it.

Personally I'll talk to strangers all day long and be myself to everyone I meet with or without alcohol, but if it helps people get along then that's up to them.
    well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    A few more beers and bacon butties in the Middle East and the fighting would stop.
    Or esculate as the Muslims conquest the world for bacon and alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dean Ambrose)
    Well it's not pathetic, but it's not great that someone needs a chemical of some sort to fill in a hole in their lives.

Yes i used to drink heavily because i didn't have much confidence. So why would i need to pay out money, slowly poison my body in order for an hour or 2 of enjoyment instead of improving myself to a point where i don't need a substance of any sort and endless enjoyment.

People don't really wanna improve themselves nowadays they'd either escape it drugs or blame it on a racial or religious group of some sort.
    Everyone needs chemicals, man

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything and everyone are made of chemicals.

ReputationRep:
    If you need alcohol to have social skills then you're pathetic.

If you need it to enhance your social skills like the majority of us then it's fine.

I know one guy who doesn't drink and he's always buzzing in the club.

ReputationRep:
    Guys just chill, have a beer.

ReputationRep:
    To some extent there are people who can only enjoy themselves if they are drunk but drinking is still fun and socialable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Ah it just seems like it.

So you haven't had a good time since Christmas Eve?

Are you telling me you've never had a good time sober? You think alcohol is required for everything to be better? Sports? Travelling? Reading?
    No I'm certainly not - get back in the real world and learn to interpret an argument properly. I'm guessing you got a C in English Language or something?

(Original post by Tourminator)
    You assume that it makes everything a lot better though. Perhaps it does, but the effects are always short-lived. Why don't people as such actually work on their personality and lifestyle flaws in order to feel more relaxed and not be so uptight all the time on a long-term basis. Secondly, why don't people relax and unwind through healthy fun methods such as sport/exercise, music, walking and general interaction with other people. Surely if people do this, when they find themselves in social situations they will feel way better in themselves rather than relying on the temporary state of euphoria that alcohol may give them, notwithstanding the negative effects on the mind/soul and body.
    "Assume", why do you emphasise "assume". I KNOW it is better because I've actually been out. And judging by the rest of your argument I'm guessing you haven'.

(Original post by holmes221)
    Well than thats alot of pathetic people then.
    Who is more pathetic? the people who drink alcohol or the ones who denounce it for nonexistent reasons and miss out on their social lives as youths

ReputationRep:
    If you NEED to, then yes you are 'pathetic' (not the word I would have gone with), If you PREFER to, but can also still have a good time without, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Given that you stated in your OP that you don't actually necessarily NEED alcohol, it seems that the statement doesn't apply to you.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an oversimplification. Alcohol is perfectly fine to use to have a good time. The issue is how much importance is placed on it in British society in general. Although that's in part due to laws and societal attitudes to non-legal substances. Which is to say alcohol is a legal drug and can be compared to illegal drugs which may be less harmful than alcohol. Anyway, Britain isn't known for its healthy attitudes towards alcohol. Drinking too much, too often and not having other outlets for fun. Depends what you enjoy. Travel, sports, other hobbies.

Don't preach to me its so called benefits. If that's what you like then fine but don't think it's like that for everyone, a cure all for your ills or that there aren't other substances. I quite enjoy a casual drink, I'll even get drunk from time to time. Alcohol isn't all bad, if that's what does it for you but it shouldn't be over-utilised. And if you do actually need alcohol to have a good time it kinda is pathetic, makes you sound like an alcoholic. If you don't need it then that's better.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get drunk everyday if I could, without any hangovers

ReputationRep:
    I think people mean this as people can't have any fun at all, without alcohol. I don't think they literally mean if you can only have fun when conuming alcohol. I know having a bit of drink while at a party is fun, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to, but I think it's pathetic that people can only have fun when consuming alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a silly line of argument in either direction. Anything we do usually has the end goal of enjoying ourselves. We study to get jobs we want, we drink coffee in the morning because we enjoy it, I choose what to put in my sandwich so I can enjoy eating it, I enjoy reading so I do it. Alcohol is just another form of enjoyment. I enjoy the effect it has, I can have a good time easily without it, but I choose to drink occasionally because I know I'll have a better time with it. It's like being on a boat and refusing an iced drink. Alcohol isn't great for you, but it's absolutely fine in moderation. We're all going to die so I'm going to enjoy myself getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    If you need alcohol to have social skills then you're pathetic.

If you need it to enhance your social skills like the majority of us then it's fine.

I know one guy who doesn't drink and he's always buzzing in the club.
    Probably buzzing because of MDMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporary_user)
    Who is more pathetic? the people who drink alcohol or the ones who denounce it for nonexistent reasons and miss out on their social lives as youths
    Now that has just annoyed me greatly, it's people like you in schools and colleges that peer pressure people in smoking or drugs.

Saying stuff like "you'll become more popular" or "you're missing out" or "it makes you friends."

Yeah, for about an hour than it's back to square one and you repeat it again and again until you're 40 and look like frankenstein.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It totally is sad that people depend on what is basically flavoured poison to affect our bodies into behaving differently.

It just shows how much of a sheep these people are and what i find in 6th form is that all the people that do depend on alcohol for a good time are the ones not getting that good grades, the ones who actually have quite rubbish banter and who just cannot grow up.

Can anyone think of a different reason other than to have a good time to drink alcohol? because everyone else is? Its the in thing? because not being able to control your body and embarrassing yourself is fun?

I totally agree that it is pathetic to depend on alcohol for a good time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporary_user)
    The ones who denounce it for nonexistent reasons
    Liver Damage

Heart disease

Affects pregnancy

Leaves you feeling like poo the morning after

Loss of coodination leading to accidents

Makes people aggressive

Vomiting

Sweating

Ages you rapidly, skin and other features

Destroys willpower

Leads someone to violently harming someone else, alcoholic fathers beating their wife and kids for example or picking a fight with a random stranger.

Yeah man, totally nonexistent reasons. Totally worth an hour of fake confidence.

And as for people with exams and relationship problems, you can either escape it with drugs/ drink and never get anywhere eventually ending up like a zombie on a council estate blaming his problems on someone with a different skin tone.

Or you can push forward and develop a personality that can't be shaken and end up successful with a great house with a great family, travel the world and live life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything and everyone are made of chemicals.
    Massless particles are not made of chemicals.

It would be more apt to say that everything is a wave function

ReputationRep:
    Just another way for people to inflate their ego by trying to invalidate the way someone else lives their life because they don't agree with them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.