Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsLover28)
    They really help... Also do the exercise sheets, that level of competency would be required at UG. Also you can try the statistics and probability courses aswell.. But don't bother with multivariable calculus / analysis / topology or anything of that sort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh i need help with my probability, not my strong point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    It doesn't, multivariable calculus is more of an applied course (doing it the pure way is far more advanced than a first year topic, at least beyond the basics).
    I'm only starting out on multivariable calc and I'm only a y13, but if you know the fundamental theorem of calculus, why is extending it to 3 or so dimensions beyond a first year topic? Or is this the basics, and then you can extend it to r dimensions and different types of spaces etc. which would be beyond first year.

(Original post by Placeboo123)
    What subjects are you taking?
    Also what was the interview at Cambridge like?
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing. Had two interviews, and thought the first one went terribly then the 2nd was good at the start with a bad second half. The first interview was a sheet of A level maths, fairly basic but the nerves/mild illness/tiredness (who interviews at 9 in the evening??) meant that I struggled with it even though the questions were really easy. I thought a sin^2(x) graph had sharp edges...Then there was a logic question which I REALLY struggled with so they had to help me out quite a bit. In the 2nd one, there was a hypothetical scenario that they kept extending which I coped with quite well I thought, then a logic-y computer science-y question that I didn't do great on. Overall, was certain (100% sure) I wouldn't get an offer. When I picked up the decision letter an eerie calm came over me, as I knew I'd been rejected and was just curious as to how they'd worded it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing. Had two interviews, and thought the first one went terribly then the 2nd was good at the start with a bad second half. The first interview was a sheet of A level maths, fairly basic but the nerves/mild illness/tiredness (who interviews at 9 in the evening??) meant that I struggled with it even though the questions were really easy. I thought a sin^2(x) graph had sharp edges...Then there was a logic question which I REALLY struggled with so they had to help me out quite a bit. In the 2nd one, there was a hypothetical scenario that they kept extending which I coped with quite well I thought, then a logic-y computer science-y question that I didn't do great on. Overall, was certain (100% sure) I wouldn't get an offer. When I picked up the decision letter an eerie calm came over me, as I knew I'd been rejected and was just curious as to how they'd worded it.
    Well very well done to you!
    Is STEP the exam you fear most or your A-levels?
    When you say computing that's the new word we're meant to use for ict right? Digital Divide AS, Normalising Data A2? At least my board.
    Haha do you feel that your motivation and willingness to get those grades has just gone up massively?
    What UMS did you get in your AS modules to get an offer from Cambridge, average 95+?
    How many A*/A did you get in gcse?
    Sorry, just rly curious

ReputationRep:
    Well very well done to you!
    Is STEP the exam you fear most or your A-levels?
    When you say computing that's the new word we're meant to use for ict right? Digital Divide AS, Normalising Data A2? At least my board.
    Haha do you feel that your motivation and willingness to get those grades has just gone up massively?
    What UMS did you get in your AS modules to get an offer from Cambridge, average 95+?
    How many A*/A did you get in gcse?
    Sorry, just rly curious
    My UMS was not high compared to the average, which was part of the reason I thought I'd gotten rejected (OK UMS and a bad interview = no offer you'd think!), it was 91.7%. But apparently, a very high proportion of successful applicants think their interviews went badly. And I know of people whose interviews sounded like they went well/they were confident but got rejected.
    I definitely fear STEP the most, I know I could get 4A* with enough work. But STEP...not sure how I'll fare with it. Ehh my board is alright for computing, the AS was quite ICT-like but we did a fair bit of programming as well. The A2's been pretty good so far (but god, I hate normalising data and databases in general, they're still a moderately large part). Which board are you, I'm AQA.
    My motivation is about the same really, I'm a very very lazy guy
    My Imperial offer was very high anyway, so I knew I'd have to do well regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    My UMS was not high compared to the average, which was part of the reason I thought I'd gotten rejected (OK UMS and a bad interview = no offer you'd think!), it was 91.7%
    I definitely fear STEP the most, I know I could get 4A* with enough work. But STEP...not sure how I'll fare with it. Ehh my board is alright for computing, the AS was quite ICT-like but we did a fair bit of programming as well. The A2's been pretty good so far (but god, I hate normalising data and databases in general, they're still a moderately large part). Which board are you, I'm AQA.
    My motivation is about the same really, I'm a very very lazy guy
    My Imperial offer was very high anyway, so I knew I'd have to do well regardless.
    Not even sure about my computing board, yeah AS is very ict like.
    Doesn't Imperial require you to take MAT? Which is the Oxford pre-admission test? Probably only for maths.
    How strict are they on your STEP? You recon a few marks too little could be compensated with an extra A* instead of an A?
    Which maths module did you do best and worst in?

ReputationRep:
    Not even sure about my computing board, yeah AS is very ict like.
    Doesn't Imperial require you to take MAT? Which is the Oxford pre-admission test? Probably only for maths.
    How strict are they on your STEP? You recon a few marks too little could be compensated with an extra A* instead of an A?
    Which maths module did you do best and worst in?
    Nah Imperial is MAT for the maths course not the CS course, and yes the MAT is the Oxford pre-interview test (which they use for maths and CS applicants). I hate Imperial for their offer of A*A*AA and a 1 in STEP II for their pure CS course whereas some Imperial mathmos are complaining that A*A*A and no STEP is a hard offer...

Nah I doubt they'd be particularly lenient with STEP for me, as a 1,2 is already a lower offer than their pure mathmos get and since I'm doing half the 1st year course, it wouldn't be useful for me to fail it. But, they'll consider me for CS with some other option (probably physics) and I think (desperately hope) that they'd let me onto that instead. If I miss my A level grades, I fully expect a rejection but I'm not planning on missing them...
    My best modules were C4 and M1 (100%) and my worst were C3 and S1 (92% and 87% respectively) but S2 is reallly easy, I think I'll probably get 95+ on it, and M2 is easy once you get M1 understood (ironically, thought M1 would be one of my worst modules as I struggled a fair bit at first).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Nah Imperial is MAT for the maths course not the CS course, and yes the MAT is the Oxford pre-interview test (which they use for maths and CS applicants). I hate Imperial for their offer of A*A*AA and a 1 in STEP II for their pure CS course whereas some Imperial mathmos are complaining that A*A*A and no STEP is a hard offer...

Nah I doubt they'd be particularly lenient with STEP for me, as a 1,2 is already a lower offer than their pure mathmos get and since I'm doing half the 1st year course, it wouldn't be useful for me to fail it. But, they'll consider me for CS with some other option (probably physics) and I think (desperately hope) that they'd let me onto that instead. If I miss my A level grades, I fully expect a rejection but I'm not planning on missing them...
    My best modules were C4 and M1 (100%) and my worst were C3 and S1 (92% and 87% respectively) but S2 is reallly easy, I think I'll probably get 95+ on it, and M2 is easy once you get M1 understood (ironically, thought M1 would be one of my worst modules as I struggled a fair bit at first).
    That stupid S1... I swear it's such a gcse module it's incredible... S2 is definitely 10x more like a maths module, 100x more mathy and 1000x easier than S1
    Which modules did you take in year 12 if you have core4 done?
    Also do you think taking additional further mathematics as an AS is useful when intending to do a maths degree at Cambridge? Gogo FP3!
    What do you think made them give you an offer if you think the interview was bad, UMS not best? Any tips? Amazing Personal statement?
    What did you do for your work experience? What sort of nice things were you able to mention in your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    That stupid S1... I swear it's such a gcse module it's incredible... S2 is definitely 10x more like a maths module, 100x more mathy and 1000x easier than S1
    Which modules did you take in year 12 if you have core4 done?
    Also do you think taking additional further mathematics as an AS is useful when intending to do a maths degree at Cambridge? Gogo FP3!
    What do you think made them give you an offer if you think the interview was bad, UMS not best? Any tips? Amazing Personal statement?
    What did you do for your work experience? What sort of nice things were you able to mention in your personal statement?
    They disregard the PS basically, so not that :P I'm lazy, got no work experience (not sure what this would be; used a computer before lol?). Didn't really read anything etc. The only interesting thing would be the 3 golds in the maths challenge I've gotten over the years. I think the 1st half of the second interview saved me, as it went quite well. Also, Churchill had a maths test on interview day and I might've done well on that (not sure how I did compared to everyone else). S1 was just weird...IDK why I did as badly as I did really, just not used to thinking about stats. We did C1-4, S1,M1 last year so I've got the maths A level (A*) and we're doing FP1-3, M2-3,S2-3 this year (extra module so the best is taken). I'd definitely do FP3 for pure maths degree, otherwise you're missing out on content but you don't necessarily have to take the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yh i need help with my probability, not my strong point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Feel free to ask for help. My PhD revolves around statistics and probability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    They disregard the PS basically, so not that :P I'm lazy, got no work experience (not sure what this would be; used a computer before lol?). Didn't really read anything etc. The only interesting thing would be the 3 golds in the maths challenge I've gotten over the years. I think the 1st half of the second interview saved me, as it went quite well. Also, Churchill had a maths test on interview day and I might've done well on that (not sure how I did compared to everyone else). S1 was just weird...IDK why I did as badly as I did really, just not used to thinking about stats. We did C1-4, S1,M1 last year so I've got the maths A level (A*) and we're doing FP1-3, M2-3,S2-3 this year (extra module so the best is taken). I'd definitely do FP3 for pure maths degree, otherwise you're missing out on content but you don't necessarily have to take the exam.
    What were the maths challenges? UKMT?
    Didn't you consider doing 2 more modules and getting additional further maths?

ReputationRep:
    What were the maths challenges? UKMT?
    Didn't you consider doing 2 more modules and getting additional further maths?
    Yeah, UKMT. Someone from our school a few years ago missed their STEP offer from Cambridge but they let her in because she had a gold in the UKMT Maths challenge. Nah because all that's left is M4,S4(really hard) and decision (dull and I'll learn all the content in the degree anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    I'm only starting out on multivariable calc and I'm only a y13, but if you know the fundamental theorem of calculus, why is extending it to 3 or so dimensions beyond a first year topic? Or is this the basics, and then you can extend it to r dimensions and different types of spaces etc. which would be beyond first year.
    Doing partial derivatives and the basics of multiple integrals is fine if you don't want a formal treatment of it. But it still gets complicated when you get to several advanced theorems about how to convert integrals between dimesnions, the ideas of total derivatives and Jacobians (this needs a lot of linear algebra). Also the whole idea of manifolds is cpmlex.

To do it formally you pretty much need to wait until 2nd year (probably even third year) after doing a course on measure theory. Even in 1 dimension, the sort of integration you do is very different from the way integration is done at the higher level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Doing partial derivatives and the basics of multiple integrals is fine if you don't want a formal treatment of it. But it still gets complicated when you get to several advanced theorems about how to convert integrals between dimesnions, the ideas of total derivatives and Jacobians (this needs a lot of linear algebra). Also the whole idea of manifolds is cpmlex.

To do it formally you pretty much need to wait until 2nd year (probably even third year) after doing a course on measure theory. Even in 1 dimension, the sort of integration you do is very different from the way integration is done at the higher level.
    Sounds quite interesting, but don't think I'll be getting that into it. An intuitive understanding of the basics backed up with a little bit of proof is all I was after really, and I'm only really interested in double/triple integrals to work out volumes of tough functions. Not for any particular reason, just wanted to. I'll leave the formal analysis to you mathematicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)

Does Imperial even do straight CS? All I can see is Computing and JMC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Does Imperial even do straight CS? All I can see is Computing and JMC.
    Their 'computing' course is essentially just straight CS, it's quite theoretical/mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Their 'computing' course is essentially just straight CS, it's quite theoretical/mathematical.
    Ah ok, to be fair when I looked at the structure it didn't seem that theoretical, which is probably why it's called Computing instead of CompSci (not that I think it's a bad thing). It seems the standard offer for Computing though is A*AA-A*AAA, not A*A*A and 1 in STEP II which is a significantly harder offer.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, to be fair when I looked at the structure it didn't seem that theoretical, which is probably why it's called Computing instead of CompSci (not that I think it's a bad thing). It seems the standard offer for Computing though is A*AA-A*AAA, not A*A*A and 1 in STEP II which is a significantly harder offer.
    Indeed, which is why I was so angry at them. They claimed that the 'standard' offer on their website is a minimum, but adding STEP is just ludicrous. They also claimed that their best applicants get the hardest offers...where's the logic here? To punish those that may have applied to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Indeed, which is why I was so angry at them. They claimed that the 'standard' offer on their website is a minimum, but adding STEP is just ludicrous. They also claimed that their best applicants get the hardest offers...where's the logic here? To punish those that may have applied to Oxbridge?
    Don't know the logic really. I think there's a certain amount of logic in giving, say, a low STEP offer just to encourage people to prepare for STEP and be better when they start as an undergraduate, but expecting a level that a significant portion of Cambridge maths offer holders will fail to meet, while giving 'less qualified' applicants an offer that anyone applying should be able to meet with their hands tied behind their back, is a bit backwards to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know the logic really. I think there's a certain amount of logic in giving, say, a low STEP offer just to encourage people to prepare for STEP and be better when they start as an undergraduate, but expecting a level that a significant portion of Cambridge maths offer holders will fail to meet, while giving 'less qualified' applicants an offer that anyone applying should be able to meet with their hands tied behind their back, is a bit backwards to say the least.
    Especially considering they don't even always give STEP offers to their mathmos. I haven't been able to come up with a better reason than 'don't insure us'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Especially considering they don't even always give STEP offers to their mathmos. I haven't been able to come up with a better reason than 'don't insure us'
    As far as I know you only get a non-STEP offer for maths at Imperial now if you do alright in the MAT.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.