Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She has a bad relationship with her father and the mother just sits there and does nothing about it. She's getting a body image disorder as a result
    That was the situation with my ex, she used to have a wonderful bond with her dad but he turned into a douchebag who couldn't really be reached, including by the mother (who wasn't all that willing to attempt to sort things tbh)

At the end of the day it's their family, their business, all you can do is support your friend in encouraging her family to be more considerate/loving in whatever small ways she can. Sometimes it helps to encourage them to get allies on board e.g. relies/friends of family/Godparents/teachers/GP etc

Her body image disorder is probably an indirect consequence, and really not a very legitimate connection for her to make. I would not accept it personally and would encourage her to deal with the issues directly, or else focus on other things as best she can

If I was in a relationship with her, I would try to speak to her dad which may work or not
    That would be a last resort, male pride is a delicate thing and fathers often dislike the concept of other men in the lives of their daughters more strongly than just about anything!

If it does not then the problems will always be there until she has the gumption to do something about it
    This is where you should focus your energies, helping her to empower herself to make positive changes in her life, even whilst she remains under their roof

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.