Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

your tricks for falling asleep when you just can't? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Getting up and playing Fifa for 3 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Cup of warm drinking chocolate or listening to something boring on the radio ... both work for me.

ReputationRep:
    When I can't fall asleep, I read a book for a while, then try again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    it takes me AGES to actually sleep when i get into bed and its so frustrating when I have to be up early the next day. any advice would be appreciated!
    Masturbate.

Works every time

ReputationRep:
    I don't listen to any loud music before bed and try to abstain from looking at any bright lights that might be coming from a laptop/phone screen, but I will play an ASMR video from my phone or whatever and put it on sleep mode. I'll also keep well away from any caffeinated drinks after around 6pm-ish.

I've had to perfect this method over time because I used to work night shifts, so sleep was obviously a priority!

ReputationRep:
    Don't try to fight the insomnia, because this further exacerbates it. So don't look at the time or think that you have to wake up. Just relax.
    Plus, this helps: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-enough-sleep/ In other words, if you convince yourself that you slept well, your cognitive functioning the next day won't be affected as much. I used to worry a lot about insomnia before big exams. The night of the most important exam I've done so far, I didn't sleep for more than 2 hours due to stress. I did just fine. So the solution is to minimize the stress due to the insomnia and to relax.

Oh and avoid caffeine 8 hours before bed. Avoid any stimulants. Sleep at a specific time....And the usual advice you find everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    im muzlim
    Hahahaha lol so am I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCMFM16)
    Hahahaha lol so am I
    salaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

ReputationRep:
    does it work and what does it consist of?
    Download flux for your computer.

Exercise earlier on in the day so you are tired by the time night comes around.

Try and wake up/go to sleep at a similar time each day.

Also minimise, or preferably exclude, caffeine from your diet (do muslims consume caffeine, I know they aren't allowed to consume other drugs like alcohol and many christian denominations don't consume caffeine).

ReputationRep:
    it takes me AGES to actually sleep when i get into bed and its so frustrating when I have to be up early the next day. any advice would be appreciated!
    Personally, I just think about something, and then my mind gets engrossed on that topic and I simply dream about it. Listening to music or reading a book helps too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Download flux for your computer.

Exercise earlier on in the day so you are tired by the time night comes around.

Try and wake up/go to sleep at a similar time each day.

Also minimise, or preferably exclude, caffeine from your diet (do muslims consume caffeine, I know they aren't allowed to consume other drugs like alcohol and many christian denominations don't consume caffeine).
    yeah we're allowed caffeine dunno what i'd do without me coffee lol

ive been going to sleep at like 3am for the past few months so i tried going to sleep at 9.30 yday and just couldnt sleep for like an hour. im gonna sleep around 10.20 tonight and hopefully i'll sleep quicker. my mind just goes into overdrive just before bed

ReputationRep:
    I listen to my fave tv show while I try to sleep. I don't watch it but listen to it through my headphones as a kind of white noise. Works most nights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    in my mind, I just try to picture nothing. And if my brain starts to drift and wander and form thoughts (like 'I'm not sleepy but I have to fall asleep otherwise I'll never make it through last period biology tomorrow...') then force yourself to picture that nothingness again. Sounds bizarre I know, but it works for me!
    Good luck falling asleep?

ReputationRep:
    Few things which I try

1) putting on some tele usually helps. I usually put a 30 minutes video on the laptop, once it finishes playing the laptop will go to sleep so i won't get woken up at 3 in them morning cos the tele is on. Every night I will put something like an old episode of mock the week, would i lie to you, qi 8 out of 10 cats etc on and just listen. If i can't sleep after a while i put another episode of something on.

2) If I haven't already i'll have a tug

3) sometimes if I get up and walk to the toilet I come back and can settle a bit easier. If i've been trying to get to sleep for too long i get a bit agitated and tight so a walk to and from the toilet loosens me up a bit and I can relax a bit better.

4) Starting from my toes, I tense every part of my body and release, toes then lower legs, upper legs, bum, back, chest arms, neck and then I tense them all at once hold for 5 seconds and release and then roll over and hopefully drift off

5) I count

6) Very occassionally if nothing else works i just lie there with my eyes open staring at the ceiling fixed on one spot and nothing else eventually I kind of drift off.

ReputationRep:
    Going to sleep at the same time every night helps. Also getting up early around the same time helps. In order to establish a sleeping pattern quickly, regardless of what time you go to bed, wake up relatively early and that way even if you feel tired throughout the day you will sleep the next evening and be well on your way to establishing an efficient consistent sleeping pattern which your body will like!

ReputationRep:
    Bash one out. Helps me sleep right away

ReputationRep:
    I don't even attempt going to bed until it hurts to keep my eyes open. Takes all the effort out of sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tourminator)
    Going to sleep at the same time every night helps. Also getting up early around the same time helps. In order to establish a sleeping pattern quickly, regardless of what time you go to bed, wake up relatively early and that way even if you feel tired throughout the day you will sleep the next evening and be well on your way to establishing an efficient consistent sleeping pattern which your body will like!
    sounds good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Avoid using technology (phones, TV, computer) from about 30 minutes before you want to get to sleep.
    Really why? And what else am I supposed to do for half an hour before bed lol?

ReputationRep:
    yeah we're allowed caffeine dunno what i'd do without me coffee lol

ive been going to sleep at like 3am for the past few months so i tried going to sleep at 9.30 yday and just couldnt sleep for like an hour. im gonna sleep around 10.20 tonight and hopefully i'll sleep quicker. my mind just goes into overdrive just before bed
    Ah, thanks for telling me. Is that throughout all the popular Muslim denominations, or just yours? Caffeine is kind of a big deal, it surprises me you're allowed to consume it

Try taking it step-by-step with regards to the sleep routine. If someone was going to bed at 4am and waking up at 12am then suddenly going to bed at 10pm and trying to get up at 6am is never going to work as they won't be tired when they go to bed.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.