Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longlive)
    Hi, I'm applying for engineering at Durham I got an offer on Wednesday, it was soo happy as it is was my favourite!
    Hey, what were your GCSE and AS Grades if you don't mind me asking. Also what subjects do you currently do as I too have applied for engineering at Durham.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how popular certain colleges are or how the system actually works? I have two offers from durham but really want to get in to a certain college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6.63x10^-34)
    Hey, what were your GCSE and AS Grades if you don't mind me asking. Also what subjects do you currently do as I too have applied for engineering at Durham.
    I applied engineering also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kangagoat89)
    Hi, has anybody received an offer for Theology and Religion yet please?
    Not yet :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bec_anna123)
    anyone know how popular certain colleges are or how the system actually works? I have two offers from durham but really want to get in to a certain college!
    Hello! The college system works a bit like the “houses”in Harry Potter, you will go to school with the entire university, but you will live (if you live in) eat, possibly work, and join clubs and sports teams with people from your college. Typically, the Bailey Colleges are more popular (University College, St. Chads, St. Johns, St.Cuthberts, sort of Hatfield). Castle (University College) is by far the most applied, so if you want to get in there you need to accept and apply EARLY. The hill colleges are less applied because they are a bit of a walk from the city(I live in a hill college, it’s about 15 minutes’ walk to the cathedral/center of town), the hill colleges are Collingwood, Grey, St. Mary’s, St. Aiden’s, Van Mildert, Trevelyan, Ustinov, and Josephine Butler, the plus of the hill colleges are that they all have some land/outdoor space and are much quieter and usually larger (spatially).

The really important things to consider are 1)funding – look at the different funds/scholarships each college has available, some may offer more in your field than others, 2)type of accommodation – if you are living in it i simportant to look at the TYPES of rooms available, do you want a single or double? En-suite or shared bathroom? Catered or not? Every college is different, and 3) Facilities– different colleges have different facilities, Mildert, for example has specialized music facilities, Collingwood has a huge bar, Grey College has the best view – what is important to you in your college? Try not to get too caught up in living in the castle (if that’s what you’re looking at), every college has a unique setup and atmosphere and it’s important to choose the right one for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviamalona)
    Hello! The college system works a bit like the “houses”in Harry Potter, you will go to school with the entire university, but you will live (if you live in) eat, possibly work, and join clubs and sports teams with people from your college. Typically, the Bailey Colleges are more popular (University College, St. Chads, St. Johns, St.Cuthberts, sort of Hatfield). Castle (University College) is by far the most applied, so if you want to get in there you need to accept and apply EARLY. The hill colleges are less applied because they are a bit of a walk from the city(I live in a hill college, it’s about 15 minutes’ walk to the cathedral/center of town), the hill colleges are Collingwood, Grey, St. Mary’s, St. Aiden’s, Van Mildert, Trevelyan, Ustinov, and Josephine Butler, the plus of the hill colleges are that they all have some land/outdoor space and are much quieter and usually larger (spatially).

The really important things to consider are 1)funding – look at the different funds/scholarships each college has available, some may offer more in your field than others, 2)type of accommodation – if you are living in it i simportant to look at the TYPES of rooms available, do you want a single or double? En-suite or shared bathroom? Catered or not? Every college is different, and 3) Facilities– different colleges have different facilities, Mildert, for example has specialized music facilities, Collingwood has a huge bar, Grey College has the best view – what is important to you in your college? Try not to get too caught up in living in the castle (if that’s what you’re looking at), every college has a unique setup and atmosphere and it’s important to choose the right one for you.
    Thank you very much!! The one im really hoping for is butler

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.