Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only one that trusts no one? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    I think thats a good approach.

So I think that to function efficiently in society you have to have a certain level of trust in a number of people. You also have to realise that people are just essentially reacting to their circumstances; no one acts in a bad way just to hurt you in particular. Being able to identify factors which may make people act different is the key.
    Indeed, in my view there are physiological variations such as hormones which are entirely excusable, and then there are more social circumstances, it is not difficult (for me at least) to spot when someone starts radically behaving in a different way, and if this is consistent and I think it breaches my trust I will stop confiding in them.

ReputationRep:
    I want to meet these people.

See I thought I had met someone like that. After years of being guarded - I thought, yeh, I can trust this person. And then...push came to shave and they let me down. After that episode, I decided, i'll never be the patsy again! Now I'm just cold.
    If you're ok to talk about it broadly, what did they do?

Some people are just nasty, and some are absolutely loyal, but the middle - who make up much of the population - tend to have understandable motivations. They might be nice, but they aren't going to run their life according to someone else, so what one person might see as 'betrayal' can simply be a reluctance to commit. Alternatively, people have values and they balance them against each other. One person might compromise their integrity to save their dying child, and another might compromise it just to get a promotion.

I don't think it has to be a case of 'either I can trust you or you're an awful human being'. It's a case of being secure in yourself, and weighing up any responsibilities you give to other people, or favours you ask, in respect of what you are giving in return, what the risk is, and what their motivations are.

ReputationRep:
    I only trust God and myself. everyone else has disappointed me at some point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    If you're ok to talk about it broadly, what did they do?

Some people are just nasty, and some are absolutely loyal, but the middle - who make up much of the population - tend to have understandable motivations. They might be nice, but they aren't going to run their life according to someone else, so what one person might see as 'betrayal' can simply be a reluctance to commit. Alternatively, people have values and they balance them against each other. One person might compromise their integrity to save their dying child, and another might compromise it just to get a promotion.

I don't think it has to be a case of 'either I can trust you or you're an awful human being'. It's a case of being secure in yourself, and weighing up any responsibilities you give to other people, or favours you ask, in respect of what you are giving in return, what the risk is, and what their motivations are.
    This is where I used to be. Where I would approach any decision logically but with that little bit of conscience that would create an 'internal disharmony' if I ever acted against it.

Then my bad experience happened and I guess I lost that.

ReputationRep:
    This is where I used to be. Where I would approach any decision logically but with that little bit of conscience that would create an 'internal disharmony' if I ever acted against it.

Then my bad experience happened and I guess I lost that.
    Fair enough. I wouldn't say I'm experienced with dishonest people. I'm sure some can really shock you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Sometimes I feel like that, or instance when I've lent people money & they haven't paid me back, grr! :mad:
    how much did you borrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    how much did you borrow?
    None from them but yeah I guess them guys weren't really that close to me anyway & I didn't think they were ideal to mix with anyway. Currently a girl owes me quite a bit for a dinner we had but I trust her to pay me back as she seems a decent person aha

ReputationRep:
    No-one is reliable. Not even family. I'm the only person I trust.

ReputationRep:
    I think that can be quite a good thing tbh. There are times when I wish I had been a lot less trusting of others.

ReputationRep:
    I literally don't trust anyone. Not even my family. Sucks always having to be on your toes

ReputationRep:
    Youre lucky you have your parents and sister you can trust I dont even have that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you're right, whenever someone put's their trust in me, I normally black ball them, yeah I know I'm a London youth that's what we do.:lol:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.