22.73%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Clean shaven or stubbly facial hair. :yy:

Too many beards 'in fashion' nowadays are just like birds nests:

Spoiler:
    Show

A perfectly good looking guy ruining his appearance. I think those beards are awful.

ReputationRep:
    Went clean shaven for years then have had a beard for years and it made zero difference to anything as far as I can tell

ReputationRep:
    It's just a little bit of stubble you want. So you look like a super sexy deep thinker who is too busy philosophising to shave every day. Little bit rough, little bit unkempt, totally instense. Hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    I think bears look better with moustaches, personally.

ReputationRep:
    Beards that are stubbly are crazily attractive to me

ReputationRep:
    the only women I find who like beards hang around in snobby hipster circles and/or involved in the creative industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)

ladies..?
    Bears Moustaches ftw

:borat:

:bear:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    "Bear" being a physical character of certain gay men, I presume you meant "beard?" In which case, none of the choices. Two days of stubble.
    :mob:

:shakecane:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by the bear)
    :mob:

:shakecane:
    Don't believe me?!

ReputationRep:
    This question comes up all the time and I don't think it's as simple as choosing one (although some girls may have preference in general for one).

It depends on a number of factors foremost of which is the guy's facial structure - the right style of facial hair can complement a guy's facial structure to bring things in to better balance and complement his looks, but the wrong style of facial hair will detract from his looks.

His age and his general image will also play a part. A man in his fifties with a high flying job that wears smart suits may look distinguished in a well trimmed, full beard. A guy at uni sporting the same beard wouldn't have the same effect, it would just look like he was experimenting with facial hair and slightly out of touch with the rest of his image. But that guy at uni might be able to pull off a few days of messy unshaved growth look and look cool, relaxed and funky whereas that guy in his fifties would look like he was being lazy and it would detract from his otherwised polished image.

In terms of age, I think probably late twenties to forties are the age when a guy can pretty much pull off the full range of facial hair styles, without there being some that he looks too young for or too old for. But there are no hard and fast rules if the guy has the right "attitude".

I think 'fashion' beards (like the American Civil War general full beards that have come in to vogue) can look good on the right person (eg someone in a band, artist, etc) but again if a guy doesn't have a generally fashion-focused edgy image he will look like someone that has just seen these beards around and thinks its cool to copy them and it won't sit as well on him.

In general I think its good to experiment with different facial hair styles and vary it to change up your image a bit (in the same way that girls will change a haircut, go short, dye their hair a different colour etc) but you don't want to be changing it too often.

My style is probably 75 to 80% of the time I am clean shaven. I will go with a beard for a couple of months maybe every couple of years or so. Last year I went on a 2 week holiday and didn't take any shaving stuff so when I came back to work I just tidied up around the neck and let it grow to about a month's growth then maintained it with a trimmer on gradually smaller settings till I shaved it off. I always feel if you go from full beard to clean shaven overnight your face looks a bit bare and people take a while to adjust so I gradually take it down to a smaller beard.

I personally really like myself with the stubble look but I think this is one that is easily overdone as part of the appeal is that it gives the look that you are nonchalant and don't care and are effortlessly hot. If you keep permastubble by trimming it on a number 0 then people that see you every day get used to it and they also realise you are deliberately cultivating that image which undermines the whole nonchalance of it. So it's a look to be used tactically when you want someone who is used to seeing you super clean cut and smart, to see you with a more rugged look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    Apparently beards are desirable until a certain amount of the male population has them at which point they become undesirable. I believe beards are in the "growing popularity" phase but I think we are approaching the tipping point at which they will become weird and unwanted again.

Moustaches are always creepy though. (Unless you're Ron Swanson.)
    for 50 years from the 1920s- till the 1970s women globally adored men with moustaches. beards were probably the thing way back befor that , certainly in more primitive times. all this proves that this nothing to do with 'innate desire' and everything to do with changing trends.

what 'fashion' and media dictate is currently in and 'attractive' is what tends to become common attitude amoung the current young generation. in 100 years time, it might be the trend to look like a chimp, depending on what Nuts magazine dictates

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.