Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Don't have a degree, am I screwed dating wise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You're right, it isn't my problem, but unfortunately if someone judges me badly obviously they aren't going to date me (if it's a guy) or start gossiping etc. (if it's his parents).
    And if they judge you for it, why are you even contemplating going out with them?

It's up to you and how you package the information. There's no need to blurt out the fact that you dropped out of uni, so why the hell bring it up, especially if you're so worried about it?

Sorry, but a little common sense in this wouldn't go amiss.

(Original post by Drewski)
    And if they judge you for it, why are you even contemplating going out with them?

It's up to you and how you package the information. There's no need to blurt out the fact that you dropped out of uni, so why the hell bring it up, especially if you're so worried about it?

Sorry, but a little common sense in this wouldn't go amiss.
    Obviously I'd rather a guy didn't judge me for it, but at least half would, no?

I don't intend to "blurt it out," but I've found that, when meeting people generally (especially those in my age group), "where did you do your degree" comes up surprisingly often.

ReputationRep:
    I left my degree due to depression, and though I earn a lot more than the average person my age with a degree would (work in software), I'm always worried that a guy wouldn't want to date me because of it. I'm reapplying to uni but won't start till 23.

Apparently they did a survey and the "perfect woman" would have a degree (I know, DM link but still).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ect-woman.html
    Dont believe all that you read..

(Original post by hamix.forllz)
    Dont believe all that you read..
    I'm obviously not just going on the survey but OK.

Would you judge someone for having left uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm obviously not just going on the survey but OK.

Would you judge someone for having left uni?
    No. Because it depends on the reason.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I'd rather a guy didn't judge me for it, but at least half would, no?

I don't intend to "blurt it out," but I've found that, when meeting people generally (especially those in my age group), "where did you do your degree" comes up surprisingly often.
    No. I don't think anything even close to half would, especially if you mentioned that you had to stop due to a medical issue.

If they ask that then just engage braincells and be clever with your reply: "i went to uni in x" or "i studied x at x place". As far as they're concerned you answered their question and they move on.

(Original post by Drewski)
    No. I don't think anything even close to half would, especially if you mentioned that you had to stop due to a medical issue.

If they ask that then just engage braincells and be clever with your reply: "i went to uni in x" or "i studied x at x place". As far as they're concerned you answered their question and they move on.
    Former depression carries stigma too, unfortunately, but maybe that's a new issue.

Wouldn't that come across as stretching the truth, though, esp. if on a date or something as opposed to just making a new friend?

And I am "engaging my brain cells." :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    Former depression carries stigma too, unfortunately, but maybe that's a new issue.

Wouldn't that come across as stretching the truth, though, esp. if on a date or something as opposed to just making a new friend?

And I am "engaging my brain cells." :eyebrow:
    You don't have to mention depression.
    You don't have to mention dropping out.

You're making life harder for yourself by feeling you have to say these things when there's absolutely no need to.

Not saying them isn't lying.

And I can absolutely guarantee you that whatever guy you see will exaggerate / stretch the truth about what he says too.

(Original post by hamix.forllz)
    No. Because it depends on the reason.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Lolwot.

Lolno.

Don't worry about it, you don't need any qualifications for that kinda stuff, though you can probably get a degree in it somewhere seeing as they do Harry Potter degrees nowadays....

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.